SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Never Buy a New Hanse (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/106417-never-buy-new-hanse.html)

Frankschicketanz 11-18-2013 11:55 AM

Never Buy a New Hanse

Save yourself any aggravation by not buying a new Hanse. We bought a Hanse 400 last year and had it delivered from Germany to Portugal. After being in the marina for 11 months, we had it taken out of the water to have the bottom cleaned before our cruise into the Mediterranean. A 12-inch crack was discovered on the rudder--a clear case of warranty, right? Not from Hanse's point of view. They refused to pay for the 1000-euro repair, along with approximately another 1000 euroes' worth of repairs on the voyage which should have been covered by the warranty. This is a company that values the bottom line over customer satisfaction, an attitude that permeates the company all the way to the CEO, whom I emailed.

Fstbttms 11-18-2013 12:03 PM

Re: Never Buy a New Hanse

You had use of the boat for almost a year and then upon discovering the boat was damaged, want the manufacturer to pay for the repair?

I don't see where Hanse has any responsibility at all.

MarkSF 11-18-2013 12:04 PM

I wonder what Hanse's take is. I suspect they said it's not covered because you hit something. I also suspect you did hit something.

"A 12-inch crack was discovered on the rudder--a clear case of warranty, right?" No, not clear at all.

Anyway this thread is worthless with only one point of view.

eherlihy 11-18-2013 12:46 PM

I gotta agree with MarkSF. If I were Hanse I would ask you to provide some proof that the damage was not caused by impact, mis-use, or abuse. Otherwise, go fish.

Also posting a gripe about a manufacturer, with only one other post in SailNet (your post count is 2), causes me to be on guard.

chucklesR 11-18-2013 12:50 PM

Ditto the above.

Next time you run aground check for cracks and never believe a delivery skipper when he says he didn't hit anything.

Tim R. 11-18-2013 12:55 PM

Hire a surveyor to determine cause of crack. You present no credible evidence here to blame Hanse. Without any history here your viewpoint is rather weak.

azguy 11-18-2013 01:04 PM

I for one, would like to know how the manufacturer determined it wasn't a warranty issue, did you send them pictures or did they send a representative out..??

I guess I'm not with the consensus and feel like if you spend a small fortune (just assuming a new 40' is a small fortune) they should have maybe paid for half just to insure some good press if nothing else....

Jaramaz 11-18-2013 01:21 PM

It is o course that with the one-side story, it is better to get some "evidence". OP is frustrated and disappointed, want to do some flaming. This is not a good place for such, in particular without photos.
Alas, OP cannot publish such either - has too few contributions. More frustration.

But before we go to far in this, we should remember that Hanse has had rudder issues before. As many others have had.

If there is a typical crack in the rudder, and no other signs of impact, then - photo and put on some of the many servers available. Publish the link in this thread. First then is it possible to assess.

Hanse must have had some reason for not paying. What?
Any reasoning?

If Hanse refuses, then it is an insuranse issue - sudden impact, decided by Hanse.

Most Hanses are nice boats. Wouldn't hesitate myself. Do not loose any sleep over an issue like this.

/J

bobperry 11-18-2013 01:25 PM

What would bother me is the manufacturer's quick dismissal of the claim.

Fstbttms 11-18-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 1133089)
What would bother me is the manufacturer's quick dismissal of the claim.

Assuming that was the case. We only have one unhappy boat owner's version of the story.