SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mid -sized sailboat wanted

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lv4sailing 
#1 ·
My wife & I have narrowed ( at least we think we have ) our prospective list down to a few boats, however, there are not too many brokerage listings available. We like the Cabot 36, Niagara 35, Landfall 35 and Aloha 32. If there are any owners out there that are thinking of selling, please let us know.

#2 ·
Aspy:

For your kind of post, offering a direct email address would probably be a good idea - even if it''s only a Sailnet address that limits the size of the reply.

I''ve owned none of those boats but read and observed interesting things about all of them, and the main distinction that stands out for me is how different were the circumstances of the four builders. Two of those builders were very small operations that had limited success and never really standardized their production (Aloha & Cabot) while two come from builders that were consistently well thought of and had a long track record (Niagara and C&C). I have to wonder if you''re being overly influenced by the designer & design of these boats (never a bad thing when kept in perspective...) and not sufficiently influenced by the realities of the boats which were built.

It would seem you like Ted Brewer''s work and perhaps should come up with another builder - or two - who produced Ted''s designs but with more reliability.

FWIW I thought the Cabot 36 was especially innovative, seaworthy and handsome...but the owners I talked with surely had fits with the quality. It''s a good example of how a builder can start with a good design but the true test is whether the builder can fully capitalize on its potential.

Jack

#3 ·
Jack, Thanks for your input. It was an oversight that I forgot to include my email address. If any of the noted boats should be for sale, I can be contacted at, hughie_r@hotmail.com
The Cabot 36 was built in my hometown ( Sydney, N.S. )I have heard mixed reviews on their quality, however, the owners I have spoken with have nothing but praise for them.
My wife and I are open to any and all advise in our endeavour to find our next ( First ) boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.