Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004

Chaosthefirst is on a distinguished road
newport

Looking to buy a 25 to 32 footer, cruising/racer type, used. I do not know much about the Newport (say, 28). Looking over some old messages, there was good comments and a few bad. Are there better/worse year models? What is everyones general opinion on the Newports. Thanks, Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
newport

Newport was a company that tended to buy the molds for obsolete designs from other companies and recycle them back into production in a cheapened form. Their smaller boats were designed by a smorgesbord of designers; C&C, Mull, and Garden come to mind. They varied from recycled raceboat, and racer/cruiser designs to motorsailor types. The ones that I have had contact with have been rather shoddily constucted especially as compared to many of the other large production builders of their day. That said, I have also exchanged email and posts with an owner of a Newport41 who described his boat as being well built.

Jeff

Old 10-22-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
newport

A good friend at my marina has a Newport 31, which he dearly loves. I''ve crewed with him many times in races and for day sails and the boat is solid and well constructed. But it''s no rocket, either. It''s definitely more of a cruiser. The only time we do well on the race course is when the winds are 15-20 knots. Another couple at the marina used to have a Newport 28. They also loved the boat, although I never sailed on it with them.

As for durability, Annapolis Sailing School has a fleet of Newport 30''s they have used for many of their courses for years. The boats are in nearly constant use and are still going strong last time I checked.

Old 10-22-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
newport

We have had 2 Newport 28 and 1 Newport 30 at our club. The 28 was not all that fast but both it and the 30 have very very nice interiors. If the interior look and layout is important to you than the Newport28 and 30s are worth a look.

I know the 28 comes in at least 2 keel configurations. Shoal draft and fin (we had one of each at club).

Thats all I know about them.

Mike

Old 10-22-2004

newport

Thanks for everyone''s input. It is getting to the point that the old ignorance is bliss. If I did not know what I know checking out different sailboats, I would have probably already bought one. But, good info, much appreciated. Thanks, Ron
Old 10-22-2004

BarryL is on a distinguished road
newport

Hello,

In July of 2003 I bought my first sailboat, a Catalina 22 trailer sailer. I found that I loved sailing and wanted a bigger boat, one my family could spend a weekend on. I wanted something in the 28-32 ft range. I started looking at September of ''03. Not seriously, just looking around to see what was out there.

My budget was $15-20K, so I was looking at boats from the late 70''s to mid 80''s. I don''t know much about boats, so I looked at many boats. As I did my homework I discovered a few things:

1. No matter what the boat, the owners will all tell you that the boat is great.

2. No matter what the boat, some non-owners will tell you the boat stinks.

3. There are some boats that just about everyone loves. Unfortunately, those boats tend to be very expensive.

4. For standard day sailing - coastal cruising type boats, there really isn''t that much difference between them.

I looked at many boats, including S2, Catalina, Hunter, Newport, O''Day, Ericson, Cal, Islander, Endeavour, Irwin, Watkins, and maybe a few more. After a while, they all started to look the same.

In the fall of ''03 I went to a boatyard to look at an S2 9.2A, but that S2 had bad water damage from the chainplates (I looked at 3 S2 9.2A and they all had rotten bulkheads from chainplate leaks), so I asked the broker if he had anything similar. He showed me a Newport 28 that I really liked. It was reasonably priced too.

I continued my education over the winter and looked at lots of boats in the spring. I concentrated on Catalina 30 and I saw a few good ones that I could afford. Unfortunately, one I really loved sold the day before I could convince my wife to make an offer. Then I found a Newport 28 about 5 minutes from my house. The boat was in poor condition, but it reminded me of the boat I saw the previous fall. That boat was still available, and the price was dropped to what I thought was a good deal.

To end this long story, I bought the boat in June and I''m very happy with it. Compared to Catalina, the interior is nicer (teak and holly sole, nicer wood work, etc.). I think that Newport boats, especially boats from 85 on, are good value. I think that all Newport 28''s come with hot and cold water, pressure water, fresh water cooled diesel engine, cabin top mounted traveler. My boat came with Lewmar ST winches. All lines led aft. Single line reefing, Furlex roller furling, 6 sails (2 main, 150 genoa, 100 jib, spinnaker and pole plus all the lines to operate the pole and brand new asymmetric spinnaker in a new ATN sock), 10'' dingy, and a host of other stuff. I paid $15K for it.

I have sailed my boat in 25 kt winds and I had a great time and I''m still here.

So I am not intimating that Newport''s are the best boat out there. I do think they are basic sold boats and are good value.

If you are still interested, there is a Newport email list from sailnet.

Take care,
Barry
Old 10-23-2004

c25 is on a distinguished road
newport

Barry,

That sums up quite a few things & is the basic truth in many cases. It''s amazing how many people buy & re-buy boats like this, have a good time with them, and continue the "two-foot-itis" as they move to other boats. As long as it''s structurally sound (surveyor..) & the money is right...

Chaosthefirst,
I looked hard at the 28 foot area before I decided to step down to a 25 for my first go at sailing. In my 28 search I netted out at a Sabre 28, Cal 28-2, or a Beneteau First 285. Granted these may be rather different boats in some respects, but as a first sailboat I was open to a number of options. The Newport never came across my path though it looks nice (just looked a few on yachtworld). I''ve never looked at one closely. In my search the Cal 28-2 was the strong runner..it could be a contender in my next boat...if I don''t bypass it for a 30-32. Although the Cal has about as much interior room as some 30''s, though not the the LWL.
The wildcard boat was an Aloha 28...Ted Brewer design...don''t know much about them other than I like the way they look.
Old 10-23-2004

newport

Again, thanks for everyone''s input. Barry, your story is about where I am now, just shift the year up a notch. Thanks, Ron Nash
Old 10-24-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
newport

I spent some sailing time on a 27'' flush deck (1973 vintage) Newport. I thought it was put together and finished like most production boats of the era but definitely not shoddy or poorly executed...better than Irwin and less than Tartan.

Old 10-25-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
newport

Hmm....

we also have an Aloha 28 and a number of Aloha 27s at our club. The 28 is nicely finished inside and does not appear to be a bad sailing boat.

The Aloha owners web is http://www.alohaowners.com/

The newport site is http://webhost.sailnet.com/newport/

Happy searching!

Mike
Full Tilt 2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.