Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013

gwmontana is on a distinguished road
Catalina wing keel or fin keel?

Hi Forum,
I am considering purchasing a late 80s Catalina 27 with either a wing keel or fin keel. Can't sail in Montana in the winter to discover the difference, so I need help in considering the sailing characteristics of both of those Catalina keels. Would truly appreciate hearing from you who have Catalina experience and or wisdom on that keel topic. Your insights would help this winter as I look at and sail prospective boats on the west coast. Also, is Catalina still using that late 80s wing keel?
Thank You,
Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Catalina wing keel or fin keel?

As I understand it the older Catalina 27's come in 4 varieties: std rig, shoal draft, shoal draft & tall rig and tall rig w/slightly deeper keel. I'm not sure that the shallow draft models are wing keeled models but they might be.
You can look up the different types here:
CATALINA 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
For the Pacific coast of the US you should have no need for a boat with a smaller keel from what I hear.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

One difference between the wing and the fin is that when you go aground with the wing, it digs into the bottom and you usually stay stuck. With a fin, which is what we have, we have always been able to just plow through with no problems.

Another difference is the draft. Your boat won't draft as much with a wing keel and that is usually preferable if you sail in shallow water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-22-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Deep keel = better performance upwind. It's that simple.
eherlihy likes this.
Old 11-22-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
One difference between the wing and the fin is that when you go aground with the wing, it digs into the bottom and you usually stay stuck. With a fin, which is what we have, we have always been able to just plow through with no problems.

Another difference is the draft. Your boat won't draft as much with a wing keel and that is usually preferable if you sail in shallow water.
Donna,
This keeps coming up, but it hasn't been our experience sailing on shallow Barnegat Bay.

So far we've had no problems getting off when we've bumped bottom.

I really think the difference is overstated, though some claim a difference between mud and sand, that I'm not sure about as we didn't go aground with her on the Chesapeake.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 11-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Donna,
This keeps coming up, but it hasn't been our experience sailing on shallow Barnegat Bay.

So far we've had no problems getting off when we've bumped bottom.

I really think the difference is overstated, though some claim a difference between mud and sand, that I'm not sure about as we didn't go aground with her on the Chesapeake.

Jim
Of course there are no absolutes. As with just about any question asked about boats "It depends" is usually the best answer but very unsatisfying for the person who asked.

I'm not sure about it being overstated for those who sail in areas with mud bottoms. I've heard quite a few say that they got stuck and could only get free with help. I suppose sand won't create that same suction that mud would.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-22-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

As someone that just bought a C22 I sailed a bunch of boats before making a decision plus a few C25 and C27's also. Most had wings and a couple had fins and I do believe the fins point slightly higher but you also need good sails to get that advantage.

Like others said, in the Pacific draft does not seem to be an issue.

Overall, I would buy the best conditioned boat with the most upgrades and maintenance history regardless of the keel set-up IMHO...
davidpm and jimgo like this.
Old 11-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If you're planning on keeping the boat in the West coast there's no reason to seek out a wing keel and the question is somewhat moot.

If you're lake sailing it would depend on the lake. If there's a prospect of trailering the boat to different regions, a shoal/wing keel will facilitate ramp launching better than a deep keel.

If there's zero interest in racing, or in maximizing performance upwind under sail, then a wing keel isn't likely to be noticeably different to you and perhaps you simply choose the nicest/best value package you come across, as azguy mentioned.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-22-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Of course there are no absolutes. As with just about any question asked about boats "It depends" is usually the best answer but very unsatisfying for the person who asked.

I'm not sure about it being overstated for those who sail in areas with mud bottoms. I've heard quite a few say that they got stuck and could only get free with help. I suppose sand won't create that same suction that mud would.
This always seems to come up with folks who sail the Chesapeake. Like anything else "best" really does depend on your cruising grounds and how you use the boat.

Not to hijack the thread but how did you make out with your new diesel? Did you go Beta marine?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 11-22-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Faster nailed it. It is all about whether or not you need the shallower draft that the wing keel provides. If you do, get it. If you don't, then either will suffice, but the fin keel will probably sail just a bit better.

Here in Florida it would be a no-brainer for me--wing keel all the way. Where you are...?
kwaltersmi likes this.

Tags
catalina 27 , wing or fin keel?