Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004

john gov is on a distinguished road
Peterson 44

Question to Jeff H.
In reading the thread on the Whitby 42 I noticed that you spoke favorably of the Peterson 44. I''m interested in a medium displacement passagemaker though I may never venture too far offshore. I got the impression that you felt this was also a good sailor. Can you tell me more as there are a few of these available at a price that I might be able to handle. Thank you very much for the valuable information that you provide this site. John Gov.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Peterson 44

I am a big fan of these boat and their 2 foot longer sisters. I have spoken to a lot of owners over the years who speak glowingly of their sailing ability and thier capabilities in a very wide range of conditions. There are some build quality issues with these boats that can be problem. Quite a few have teak decks and as these boats have gotten older these can be a problem. There are also some issues with the iron tanks that were used in some years. The non-Formosa built versions have actually held up quite well in service.

I do think that if I were to go the heavier cruiser route, (which from my perspective these boats are at the lighter end of heavy) the Peterson 44''s and 46''s would be at the top of my list. Another boat that I really like was the centerboard Brewer 12.8''s Cutters. My Dad has one of those. I have been extremely impressed with that boat on all counts. (After owning her for 10 or so years his is for sale.)

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook