Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2001

glowworm is on a distinguished road
Just bought a 1968 Pearson 24

Hi new to the sailing scene, I just purchased a 1968 Pearson 24, Hull # 6. and I would like to get honest opinions from people who are familiar with the boat, and the company. I live in Tampa Florida, and although we havn''t made any trip far from the comfort of the bay, it is capable of sailing into the Gulf, I''m just a bit nervous bring her out into the rougher seas.
I learned on a McGregor 25 with a swing keel and sailed it up the west coast. I enjoyed it, but I also sailed with an experienced crew. My wife and I dont make up an experienced crew, and she is real scared about the boat. Maybe I should have bought a her a ring instead????

Thanks Bunches
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Just bought a 1968 Pearson 24

Ya mon. The old Pearsons were fairly substantially built. Take the Zen approach to self-assurance, ie., what could make it sink? Punch all the old through hulls and replace any old gate valves or tapered plug seacocks with stainless "Groco" style ballcocks. Eliminate "Y''s" in any line where a couple of bilge pumps connect to a single line instead of having independent outlets. High loop overboard discharge lines. Rerigging should cost more than a $1000 and you can realistically do it yourself with a little study. Look for redundant systems, ie., cel phone AND VHF for coastal cruising; sails AND dependable engine. The 24 might be a little small for banging around in the Gulf Stream but it''s been done in smaller. Stick to enjoyable sailing, poke your nose out once in awhile and have fun. Don''t yell at the wife or even sound sarcastic or say something like "I TOLD you before" or you''ll be buying jewelry anyway. KW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook