Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012

shrimpman is on a distinguished road
Re: Glander Tavana 33

Hi I am new on here and not very familiar with this site or how to post new threads. I am 26 years old and been dreaming of sailing for a long time. I have spent alot of time in or around water and have worked on shrimp boats. But still know nothing about sailing and I am absolutely willing to learn as soon as I find somebody willing to teach me. Now comes my main question..... I have found a 1968 Glander Tavana 33 in fixer-up condition and owner is willing to sell. I dont know that much about Glanders and cant seem to find much info online. So now I am reaching out to fellow sailers for some guidance. What can you tell me? Will any Tavana owners give me some pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2012

gilfontes is on a distinguished road

I have inspected one of these boats and found them quite pleasant and useful for shallow water sailing. They seem strong although somewhat crudely put together. In other words, messy fiberglass work. However I found no structural
problems.
The one I looked at had two masts and I am not sure that is a good thing as the boat was a bit small for a ketch. This also presents one with a lot of sails & rigging to tend to. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2012

What I want to know is there any manual or specs. diagrahm for the original hull? Something that tells me the exact lenght and height of every room or what size motors can fit or anything of that nature. I know that Glanders were sold as kit boat in which customers had to complete and finish the build to their liking. I know that it has a yanmar engine but dont know if it runs yet. I was trying to find that particular engine online for a rebuild kit or a possible replacement. Just checking all my options. How do I find a VIN # or hull # on the Glanders? I dont know where to look. She is a very beautiful boat with alot of potential to be back in ocean one day but as of right now when I look at her all I see is a big fat "question mark"..... I am in major need of some guidance at this point lol
Thanks everyone for your input...
Old 05-17-2012

All right you guys. I need some serious help and quick......not sure if I am in the right place on here but I will try anyways. I am trying to purchase and 1968 GLANDER TAVANA 33. I have not yet paid a dime on it. I wanted to see the title first and see if it matched the numbers on the hull. I cannot find the numbers at all. I searched till it got dark. If anyone can please tell me where these numbers are (or where they should be) I would extremely appreciate it. I dont want to pay it off with a few payments and then get the title and the numbers not match. Somebody please tell me what to do.
Old 05-18-2012
sanding bunny

latitudes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to latitudes

Hola!

We're Tavana owners as well, in the process of refurbishing.

A little background... Tavana's were sold as "affordable, race-worthy, family boats." in order to make them affordable, you could buy them in various stages of completeness - from bare hull to fully appointed. so, you'll want to look for signs of skill in terms of how it was finished. It may be trashed now, but does the interior look like it was installed skillfully at one time? Electric? sail hardware?

The Tavana's are ridiculously solid boats. Thick hulls. The drop keel makes them fun for near-shore sailing, while also solid if you are off shore. This is a hull that was made to play in the Keys one day and circumnavigate the next. And yes! --Tavana owners have taken their boats around the world.

You can read the original Tavana sales documents on our website: Us Too. » Blog Archive » Four Page Tavana Brochure and a hull diagram is attached to this post.

If you max out the prop size, the optimum engine HP is ~20. We put in a brand new yanmar 3GM20 and are very happy with it. Steve Lien, also on this thread, did all the homework on engine prop size vs HP and is definitely the guy to talk to. you can see his boat here: Good Old Boat - DockWalk: Glander Tavana

Our hull # is on the bulkhead. I don't know if there is much standardization among the placement of hull #'s.
Attached Thumbnails
Glander Tavana 33-hull-plamn.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012
sanding bunny

latitudes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to latitudes

I wouldn't worry too much about the hull number since its such an old boat. There were only around 130 hulls built, and yours is one of the earliest - Glander may not have been numbering at that point, or someone has glassed over the number. The likelihood that you're being sold a title for a different Tavana is very very small since there are so few out there. Just make sure it is indeed a Tavana -- look at photos of other tavanas and look at her lines. it the boat is a tavana, and the title states she's a Tavana... I think you are good to go. After you've bought it, make a plaque with the hull # and plunk it on the bulkhead!! I think that is what the past owner of our boat did, since our hull number plaque doesn't look original.

just my two cents.
Old 05-18-2012

thank you latitudes for your help. I will go back and check every inch of the bulkhead in case I have missed it. I was looking all over the transom and every inch of the outer hull.
as far as the shape she is in .....the hull looks great. It just needs a fresh coat of paint. She needs a good cleaning first. The interior is shot. I will have to go thru and make a list of the things that need to fixed or replaced. I have the mast and rigging but no sails. I am not sure on the status of the engine yet but I know it is a Yanmar. I will try and get some pics soon.
Old 05-18-2012

okay now I am a little concerned. I just reviewed the title. on the title the measurements and engine info boat length and year match but under "make" there is nothing and under "model" it says glasstream. there is nothing on the title that actually says "Glander Tavana"..... But I swear that it is. I have looked at all other Tavanas online and her lines looks like all the others. I dont know what to do now. I am not getting a good feeling about this. Should I walk away or should I pursue???? I will still check for the hull numbers first chance i get. I really really want this boat. It has potential and not a bad deal if the owner wants only a 1000 dollars for it. What do you guys suggest in light of this new development. could it be possible that the boat is so old and that somewhere along the line somebody might have entered the wrong info?
Old 05-18-2012

oh and latitudes,
i have been reading your site about "Us Too". sounds really awesome and I wish deep down that I could see your boat in person. I admire what you guys are doing and I wish to be doing the same soon. The black and white brochure photos were very interesting and the galley in the boat i am looking at has the same exact galley set up and steps as the one in the pic.
Old 05-18-2012

to latitudes again. lol
i got your email but I cant read it yet because I havent been a member for seven days yet. I guess its some rule that Sailnet has...idk. If it holds valuable information for me then please send it to deafchef27@yahoo.com . If not then I will have to wait out the rest of the week to read it. Thanks again

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.