SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Glander Tavana 33 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/10844-glander-tavana-33-a.html)

sonofasailorsailing 11-23-2004 05:00 AM

Glander Tavana 33

Hi,

We just purchased (as in about two months ago) a Glander Tavana 33 to convert into our cruising boat of the future. Does anyone know of more info on these. She seems to be very solid. We have sailed her a couple of times and are very pleased with her sailing characteristics. Of course, for the price we gave for her, she definitely fits into the "fixer-upper" catagory. The deck needs repainting, the cabin had old (1970''s era) carpet on the ceiling (gawd how it stank when we removed it), the wiring is a spagetti factory. It will take awhile to get her into "livable" shape, but she will definitely be worth the effort.

lars 11-24-2004 12:33 AM

Glander Tavana 33

Glander was a limited production builder in tavernier florida.. most boats were kits and completed by owners. I own a glander cay 23 footer and have never seen two of them that look alike. Quality of the hulls is excellent and he liked to lay them up HEAVY. I think most were rigged as yawls. Great boat for the keys or the bahamas i would say

YawlofAmerica 12-08-2004 06:36 PM

Glander Tavana 33

I have had a Glander Tavana Yawl (hull No. 113) for 8 years. Glander built about 130 hulls over a span of about 25 years. Most of them were sold as kit boats. Thus there are very few of them alike. I have seen pictures of about a dozen and so far none have been set up like mine. Some are very crudely finished and some are very nice. You can see the original sales brochure on the Tiki Waters Sports/Glander Boat Works website. It appears that most were sold as yawl rigs. Mine has a plank bowsprit with a removable innerforestay and staysail. Most have tiller steering and a Volvo MD2B. I have been collecting pictures of them for a few years and plan to have a website set up with them soon.

sonofasailorsailing 12-09-2004 07:02 AM

Glander Tavana 33

Great idea on the website. That is something I am very interested in. As you said, some are very crudely finished out. Ours had 1970s carpet glued to the cabin as headliner. What a stink when we removed it. We are in the process of trying to renovate the interior first, then work on the deck. If you like, I can add pics of our boat to your site when it is up and running.

Henry Flack

jph37 12-14-2006 12:34 PM

Glander Tavana

I am interested in learning more about this vessel. I would like to take a close look at one. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

camaraderie 12-14-2006 12:51 PM

jph...that was a two year old post.

sonofasailorsailing 12-19-2006 11:34 AM

Two years ago, but I'm still around

And jbh, if you would like a closer look, let me know, we still own her.

A little update... we had to repower in May to a new Yanmar. Geeeeezzz! A little 30 hp diesel cost as much as 5 GMC 350s! Of course, our 33'er would look a little strange with a 350 in her. Still, I wonder what her new top end would be?

While she was out of the water, we did a bottom job (now I know what hull blisters are) and repainted the hull. We returned to the marina on July 3rd. A crowd greeted us with a universal "Hull looks great, when you gonna do the deck?" Soooo, in October, we started doing the deck. Finished just before Thanksgiving. She looks great, on the outside, now. We also put in all new ports. Had to replace two of the lifeline stanchions. The wife said, "We need to replace the others that look so bad." Soooo. We just ordered nine more. We will be doing those when we put a second coat on the deck in the spring.

The interior will be next on the list.

YawlofAmerica 12-28-2006 12:16 AM

I still own my Tavana also. If you are in the upper midwest you are welcome to stop by and see the boat. I sail in the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior.

Like Henry, I have also been painting my boat. I did the bottom two years ago, the topsides last spring and am working on the deck, coach roof and all the teak. My Glander has more teak than any others I have seen. Depending on your point of view that is either a blessing or a curse!

I have started a web page with pictures of the Tavana. It still needs a lot of work but it might help you see the variation in Tavana's.

http://home.comcast.net/~taikolein/yofa.htm

Steve
Yawl of America

sonofasailorsailing 01-08-2007 02:40 PM

Beautiful boat

Steve,

Your boat looks beautiful...but I am a little predjudiced. I had hoped to see the interior photos of your boat but the link doesn't exist. We are in the process now of tearing out the port side cabin for a "redo". Looking for ideas.

johnstarrdunn 05-16-2007 05:58 PM

Glander Cay owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by lars
Glander was a limited production builder in tavernier florida.. most boats were kits and completed by owners. I own a glander cay 23 footer and have never seen two of them that look alike. Quality of the hulls is excellent and he liked to lay them up HEAVY. I think most were rigged as yawls. Great boat for the keys or the bahamas i would say

Hi Lars, I just saw your message. I need lots of info on this boat as I'm trying to redesign and rebuild my Dad's. Do you have any pictures of your boat, or websites you could refer me to? I would be very grateful. Thanks!
John