Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
Dufour 4800''''s

Anyone care to comment on the mid 80''s Dufour 4800 as far as sailing characteristics, build quality, common problems, liveability, etc?

Thanks! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cliff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2008

Dufour34 is on a distinguished road
Dufour4800

I have a Dufour 4800 1981. As with most boats of that vintage,
the old Volvo MD11C was replace with a 27 HP Yanmar. There are
so few of these around that I don't have much to compare it to.
When I bough it, I thought the deep keel would enable me to point
upwind higher but I have not found that to be true.
Old 07-01-2010

Aaln1 is on a distinguished road
Smile Another guy looking at a 4800

Hi guys
I'm looking at purchasing a Dufour 4800. I wondered just the same as Ughmo if there is any advice out there regarding obvious problems.
I am also considering an Elan 33 which is younger and cheaper. So if anyone has information that could help me resolve the problem of "which boat" , I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Allan
Old 08-24-2010

Smile

Well Just to update you folks out there. I bought the Dufour. Still cant find any info about them but the build quality and the performance seem to be OK for the money I am paying. Would like to hear from anyone who owns one.
Cheers
Old 07-20-2011

samwind is on a distinguished road
Hi

i am looking to buy a dufour 4800 too, any recommendations?
Old 07-21-2011

I have had my 4800 for a year or so now. I love my boat. I agree that she does not point well into the wind. If you keep her on the the tail of the windvane she is losing speed, so I keep the indicator on the outside of the arrow. The ease of use of the sails and the sail layout is great. I'd almost go as far to say that it is the best layout I have come across, with a reasonably untrammelled deck. In gusty winds she leans over easily so can be quite exciting. Any real problems the quick release mechanism on the main is a lifesaver. At 18 knots wind a precautionary reef in the mainsail is wise. The Volvo engine has also been replaced by a Nanni 36 at some time in the past. Solid piece of kit. This boat needs an autopilot if you are soloing! but is easy to handle solo - she is quite skittish about holding a course (so making tea can be an issue). Manoeuvrability in marina is excellent. They are well made boats - mine is on original gelcoat with no signs of problems. For my budget, I think she is a great all rounder in racing or in cruising. A whole lot of boat for the cash. There is a Dehler 36 parked next to me in the marina and looking at her, the 4800 is a better layout, especially in the cockpit.
There are 2 versions; cruising with mid engine; and ocean with he engine to the rear of the companionway(mine is the ocean). Anyway Hope this helps. Anything specific come back to me. Cheers
Old 07-21-2011

Very helpfull information thank you, on the other hand i learnt that the keel is "attached" to the boat and needs to be looked at as part of the survey??
Any info?
Old 07-21-2011

Hi Sam, The keel is an attached iron keel as far as I know, so I would employ an experienced surveyor and have the boat taken out of the water. When mine was surveyed it was standing on its keel against the dockside when the tide went out! So they are pretty strong. If there are problems they must be associated with particular boats. I have not heard of a keel problem elsewhere on this model. I took nearly 2 years to buy a boat and had several looked at. This one felt right to me. So there are always plenty other chances out there. IMHO the surveyor is most important piece of kit you have - a good one will always discuss the boat with you ahead of time and will probably agree to a "look over" prior to full survey. So ask around or phone up and see how you get on with the guy. Ask him to take loads of photographs etc. Incidentally once the deal is done ask the owner if he knows of any problems that have not been picked up - my seller quite happily identified one that was taken care of ASAP and the other is "one to watch". Since purchase there are a number of things I have also identified which are waiting for budget to catch up. Like tidying up the wiring in an old boat....... Again hope this helps
Cheers
Old 07-22-2011

Great help indeed thank you, should the joint between the keel and the hull have any treatment? waterproofing?...
Old 07-22-2011

Hi Sam, Someone has put the bee in your bonnet over the connection between the hull and keel! Most modern hulls are precast and then bolted on.
I'd advise waiting for the survey, you can instruct the surveyor to satisfy himself as to the stability of the joint and carry on from there. If there are obvious problems then use them for price reduction. Yous surveyor will also have a knowledge of keel construction so should be able to give you a rundown on how your keel fits the hull. As an aside, if the boat has been in a local marina for a few years, then a local surveyor already knows her - cos they are nosy that way! So ask around. If you are friendly with marina staff its amazing how much you can find out unsolicited. Otherwise don't fix what aint broke - unless it is going to sink you!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.