Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005

Evy is on a distinguished road
Lake Superior

Blombo,
One advantage you have around Superior and Lake MI is your target market is sitting on the hard this time of year.
Walk right up and take a look.
Also after the snowmobilers thin-out hotel rates drop to rock-bottom.
My family spent a long weekend in the U.P. last March and had a great time. With the dream and no boat we did alot of keel kicking and took down some numbers.
Found a great Hunter 28 ready to go, owner willing to go out for the first weekend, charts and all, 15,000us
Good luck on your search and keep us posted.
Fair winds, Evy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2005

davidzeiss is on a distinguished road
Lake Superior

Blombo, You mentioned some very traditional solid boats and one much lighter boat in your boat choices.

My two-cents worth is the boat model is only one part of the equation. Your experience, outfitting, comfort level, boat maintenance, time of the year you will be sailing, willingness to wait for weather, etc. all influence what is appropriate. I''ve spent a few seasons on the Great Lakes and would be happy sailing from Duluth to the Apostle islands in late summer on many small boats if I was willing to wait for the appropriate weather. However, as many responses mentioned, things can kick up quickly on Lake Superior and a heavier displacement boat is a good option. Personally, I wouldn''t choose Catalina 27 for Lake Superior unless I was limiting my sailing to the Apostle Islands or day-sailing in nice weather. This largely for comfort reasons.

I owned a 26-foot Westerly Centaur which I kept for the first summer on Lake Superior and later sailed across Michigan, Huron and Superior quite comfortably. I also crossed the gulf stream with it many times, frequently motoring with an outboard and have a different view than one respondent on that. I belive outboards have much to offer. Like boats, it is important to know what they do well and what they don''t and how to use these properties appropriately. People race around the world through the southern ocean with no more than a 10-horse outboard on board, so I don''t buy the arguement that one needs an inboard. I also learend the hard way that an old inboard may be a liability in that it may be an atractive opton you pay for, but may not have much life left in it and you may end up facing the cost of removing it and repowering.

If you are looking for affordable, solid, heavier displacemnt boats, I''d add the Contessas and Westerly boats to your list. What I really like about the Westerlies is the living space they offer for their size.

A professional survey is an excellent way to help discover any deficiencies you may not notice yourself.

Old 02-11-2005

trecksail is on a distinguished road
Lake Superior

I don''t think you could do much better than this boat:

http://www.paceship.org/main/Forsale/index.htm

Gannet is a 1971 Paceship Northwind 29 in great shape as you can see from the website in the pictures that are posted in the Dale Shewchucks A Montage of Rejuvenation. The bottom was redone in 2003. The YSE 12 Yanmar was pro rebuilt by LiftTow in Darthmouth Nova Scotia in 2002. Interior was redone in late 2002 early 2003.

She includes GPS Magellan 315, Loran C, VHF marine, Depth sounder, Knot meter, Compass, Solar power (battery charger), batteries. Sail inventory includes full baton main, 140 % genoa and spinnaker. Fenders life jackets and all 2003 safety equipment included, electric bilge pump, manual bilge pump, brass clock barometer set.

She is a great boat to sail but life is life and me being in the line of work I am in the Canadian Navy I don''t get the time I like to, to appreciate her.

The boat will be sold as is where is, test sail can be arranged upon request. She can be seen in Halifax, NS. $20,000 CDN. Contact Dale Shewchuck; Tele: 902 463 3569, Email: shewchuck@accesswave.ca