Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004

turbo87 is on a distinguished road
C&C 115

C&C just came out with a new very nice looking boat. It is the 115. I currently own a Dehler 34 but am looking to go to a bigger boat. I love the Dehler and would love to go to a bigger one but they have become extremely expensive. I would like to hear some pros and cons regarding later model C&C''s, i.e., quality of construction, how do they feel under your feet, quick in the water, etc. I will be using the boat mostly for racing along with a little cruising. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
C&C 115

Turbo, don''t overlook searching the Archives for C&C info, altho'' comments about them have surfaced in a number of threads not titled ''C&C''. Perhaps Jeff can tackle your question; he is both a fan and a ''student'' of the C&C product line.

Jack
Old 12-16-2004

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
C&C 115

I know of a few C&C owners in Maryland and New Jersey that have had some problems with there new boats. (40 and I think 32) Little things like leaks, missing parts, & sloppy workmanship. Enough for one owner to to have a line line of thinking "If I had to do it all over again."

The boats I are beautiful in my opinion, but all I have to do is look at it''s very nice lines in the marina and have chat dockside with the owner. I have just recently become a power boat guy and traded in my 42'' sailboat. I used to race C&C in the 70''s and 80''s and have a lot of respect for the original manufacturer.

All things considered, The 115 is brand new. I think it will be a winner. All the best with your decision.
Old 12-20-2004
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
C&C 115

Turbo 87, I am in the market for a boat, and as you are an owner of a Dehler 34, I would be interested in learning your comments about the boat. Please contact me offline (max-on@cox.net) if you care to discuss the 34. I have also looked at the C&C 115, and it looks like it shall be a great boat.
Old 12-20-2004

dstuve is on a distinguished road
C&C 115

Ah, those Dehlers are beautiful boats aren''t they?

I ordered a 115 this Fall, having been a fan of their new boats for a few years. I spent a long time talking with one of their engineers, and got to go over a 110 with him and ask about every little detail on the boat. I''m impressed with their build quality - they have a keen interest in making the boat as stiff, strong, and light as possible. They make good use of advanced materials like epoxy hulls, carbon fiber masts and resin-infused decks. Fit and finish looked excellent, and I saw quality hardware everywhere I looked. Racing is hard on boats, and they appear to build a boat well-suited for it. I spent a lot of time sitting on a J109 also, and it just didn''t have the quality interior that the C&C had - it felt a little stripped down. The Dehler 36 was simply amazing - if I could get the Dehler layout with the C&C interior I would.

I haven''t sailed on one of the new C&Cs yet, but I''ve heard that they are fast and fun, especially the C&C 99, which is sort of a mini version of the 115. I hope to go sailing soon on a 99 here in the PNW and will let you know what I think. I''ll also be visiting the factory to inspect hull #1 or #2 in January or February.

Of course, nothing is perfect - I heard a few QC problem stories, the worst was a tank that wasn''t attached properly and came loose on the test sail. Others were nits and picks. Get a good dealer, and go over the boat carefully during commissioning. Hold some money back if you really want some leverage. The C&C engineer I spoke with seemed very interested in resolving any quality issues.

The 115 isn''t the perfect design for me, but it''s awfully close. I prefer perforated aluminum toe rails, or the cool molded toe rails of the new Dehlers, and I suspect the 60-inch wheel is going to be interesting to maneuver around in rough weather. I''m also a little nervous that the settee''s may be a bit on the short side for sea berths.

C&C/Fairport must be doing something right - they have double-digit annual growth, and they are moving to a larger facility next year.

I''ll report back more after my visit.

Dave Stuve
Old 12-21-2004

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
C&C 115

I too am very interested in the Dehler''s...please keep us updated on your findings.

Thanks,
bobbi

s/v Kokopelli