Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
importing a yacht into UK

Ron, that sounds like a great invite (a beer at the show) - perhaps you can coach me on the right beer to choose. <g>

One final (probably not) cavaet, for future readers of this thread. There is a time limit as I understand it on EU boats being out of the EU and retaining their VAT-paid status. So if searching for an ''old ex-EU boat'' that is RCD compliant or grandfathered, keep in mind that it can''t have been out of the EU for eons. WRT UK boats, I believe that time period is 3 years.

Ron, why not email me and we''ll see about that rendezvous. We fly back on the 6th, presuming our airline doesn''t go belly-up and we can successfully switch airports in New York with 8 pieces of luggage...

Jack
jack_patricia@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2005

santeana is on a distinguished road

Jack, you have great gift of touching ''raw'' issues! I wasn''t aware of the clock ticking on EU boats'' VAT status when out of EU territories. You sent me scurrying to consult references!

With the caution that it sometimes seems to depend on which document was consulted, the best I can find with ref to your important question is as follows, from HMC&E:

Q. Can a vessel lose its VAT status?
A. "If an EU VAT paid vessel leaves the EU and whilst outside the EU is sold, the new owner will...be liable to pay VAT if the vessel is brought back into the EU."

Thinking of the general situation; evidence of VAT paid doesn''t have any obvious time expiry. Indeed for vessels built before 31 Dec 84 AND in EU 31 Dec 92 they are deemed as VAT paid - permanent.

Looking at the RCD rules again;
"the regs do not apply to any product (vessel) which is placed on the (EU) market before 16 June 96."

"the regs do not apply to boats built in the EEA prior to 16 June 98 even if exported and subsequently re-imported after 16 June 98"

And for boats coming to EU: "The builder, his agent or person importing is responsible for such (RCD) compliance and marking"

RCD will apply to "boats built outside EEA which were not put into service in the EEA prior to 16 June 98"

Note: I''ve been sloppy in mixing EU with EEA (European Economic Area) - the latter is correct.

Phew! Ron.
Old 01-01-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Others reading this thread must think we''re nuts! They just don''t realize that one of the regional pastimes in EU countries is to bone up constantly on the regs so one can find the wiggle room and protect oneself from an official who''s a poorer reader than the taxpayer.

Yes, I too can find the reference in Notice 8 about a vessel that''s sold outside the EU losing it''s VAT paid status. But I believe there''s also another guideline that, for HM Customs purposes, a vessel loses her VAT paid status if kept outside the EU for a continuous 3-year period. I can''t point to it at the moment, but I''m pretty sure I''ve seen it on one of the docs back on the boat.

I don''t know if this is an EU guideline or just one of the many ''2nd layer'' national judgements...but I''ll bet its the former. And in fact I''ve wondered how the Brits with British-registered vessels who are currently doing Circles and taking longer than 3 years are planning on dealing with this. They will probably just make a quiet re-entry into British waters...

Jack
Old 01-02-2005

lagos36 is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much Jack and Ron,I had a feeling this was not going to be easy it looks like a minefield,I am going off the idea rapidly, I had a romantic idea of buying a yacht with a couple of American friends in Florida and sailing it back home in June to Wales "I have made the trip before" and then make a profit by selling it but at the end of the day I have the feeling that it might be more trouble than its worth,I think I,ll just crew back on someone else,s yacht like I did last time ,thanks very much for your help I really appreciate it.John.