Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005

bombayduck is on a distinguished road
Cruising Catamarans Offshore

Dman:
Yes the greatest stability of a catamaran may be upside down but the greatest stability of a monohull is resting on the bottom of the ocean! I think that cruising catamarans capsise about the same frequency that monohulls sink, given a equal number of boats in any sample. Most of the catamarans capsizes have been racing designed boats pushing the limits. Rarely does a cruising designed catamaran capsize.
Brad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

"I think that cruising catamarans capsize about the same frequency that monohulls sink" "rarely does a cruising designed catamaran capsize" I got it now ,monohulls do not sink because cruising cats do not capsize.Nice job.All I said was the greatest stability in a cat design, any cat design is upside down Period.Where you get your statistics with regards to capsize and sinking I would like you to post them so everyone would be more knowledgeable.
Old 01-19-2005

garyp is on a distinguished road

Brad:
Thanks for the post regarding the Catalac 8M. Thats exactly the sort of input I was looking for with the original post, hands on info about older, smaller cruising cats.
Did you live aboard by your self or with others? What is the storage situation and how would you rate the head and galley? What about sailing ability? 7,000 seems pretty hefty for a 27 ft cat. Did you sail to the Bahamas once or several times? Given the boat is in top shape, would you sail her to Bermuda?
I knew there was animosity between multis and monos, but I had no idea how much! Aesthetically I lean toward monohulls from the 30''s thru the 60''s because that''s my personal history, but I believe in having an open mind.
The best book on the subject I have found is "Multihull Seamanship" by Michael McMullen. I recommend it to anyone who has participated in this thread.
Gary
Old 01-20-2005

GaryP

I lived aboard by myself but had various crew on my trips. It got a little crowded but in nice weather there was lots of room to lounge on deck to get that seperation that one needs in close quarters living. This catamaran, catalac8m, is not known for it''s windward ability. Still, I would tack through about 100 degrees. The head and galley were roomy with lots of storage. I did not sail this boat offshore other than to the Bahamas once and back but this particular boat had been cruised throughout the Carribean by a couple and being made in England, had been sailed across the Atlantic.
I would sail this boat to bermuda but would carry a parachute sea anchor to ride out a storm. My boat had a 10 foot dia. one but I had to use it.
I don''t have solid stats on the number of capsizes vs sinkings. No one does. These stats are just not available. If someone does I would be more than willing to change my opinion. My comments are based on my being involved in the sailing community and sailing on both monos and cats for the last 16 years. I have owned monos too. Just different strokes for different folks. Not better or worse, just different.
Another boat that you should look into is the Iriquois 30 by sailcraft. This catamaran has great windward ability with two center boards, but less room inside.It was designed as a racer cruiser. I saw several in the Bahamas. It can be had on the used boat market for about 25K.
Brad
Old 01-20-2005

Correction: I did NOT have to use the parachute anchor.
Old 01-21-2005

Another boat that you might be interested in is the Prout Snowgoose 35. It''s an old design but built strongly. Again, similar to the catalac8m but 35 foot long. They can be had on the market for around 50K. Most has a inboard diesel in a nacel with a outboard leg that raises up (same as on the current Gemini) The leg can be a maintenance problem and some have scrapped the diesel and leg altogether and added a Yamaha 25 high thrust or similar OB. These older cats (catalac, Prout, Iroquois) have depreciated to their lowest points and are actually starting to appreciate in value.

Brad
Old 01-22-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

I thought some here might find it interesting to learn that Tony Smith, builder of the Gemini cat and now a smaller Tel-Star tri, sailed with his son and another gent from New Jersey to Southampton, England non-stop in a new Gemini not too long ago, and has produced a video which played all day, each day at the London Boat Show. The heavy winds and seas they encountered (3 gales) were quite fascinating to watch from the cockpit of the Gemini, and it was disgustingly good fun to see the crew in their shirtsleeves behind the cockpit enclosure, and the crowds seemed to enjoy it. Anyone interested might want to contact them and see if the video is available as a sales promotional, or for rent.

Jack
Old 01-23-2005

garyp is on a distinguished road

Brad,
Thanks for some good leads. I''ll to track down some of these craft in person.
The mono/multi decision is a knotty one. Good sailing,
Gary
Old 01-24-2005

h20ski is on a distinguished road

if you are worried about a monohull sinking look at ETAPS (foam-filled, unsinkable; certified).

Also, for cats, I''d check out the new DOLPHINs from Brazil. Seem like a good value for the money.
Old 01-28-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

Since no one here claims to be a naval architect I will quote a very experienced one with reguards to real offshore vessels. "Think of the people advertising yachts for offshore use,both multihulls and monohulls,which can not only be rolled by wave action but often can be capsized by wind alone.Since the owners of these vessels will be aboard them when they are lost(thus unlikely to complain)and the builders have already made their profits,where is the incentive toward seaworthiness?I am not known for my multihull designs,although I have done them.One reason is that when people ask for a quote and say that they want to use the vessel offshore I always ask them to acknowledge that the vessel is inherently unseaworthy""needless to say most people prefer to be lied to and ignore the risks they are taking" The word offshore means anywhere in the world.The reason we have so many different boats is that there are many different uses.It is where they are used,the term offshore applies.I wouldn`t even classify most cruise ships offshore vessels although they take them there.I have seen 800 foot container ships come into port after a storm with steel containers smashed in on top of the deck.Just one container is the size of most of our boats.I am talking about a deck that towers over the top of your mast and containers piled 6 high.You only think you know what offshore is all about.
Fermanaman likes this.