Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Cruising Catamarans Offshore

Eric The Red sailed his 18'' junk rigged homebuilt mono hull across the Atlantic several times. What does that mean? Using examples of boats crossing oceans is a bogus way to prove anything.

Do calculations on windage and see what speeds will kite your multihull and what those same winds do to a monohull. Think about waves that have whitecaps big enough to throw any 50'' boat on it''s beam ends like a pingpong ball. Which boat type will survive being continually pounded with whitecap lips 6'' thick or being tossed on beam ends without capsize or damage. I''ve seen waves like that from the deck of freighters off the east coast USA and they DO exist in ocean sailing. The question is can you stay out of this weather?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2005

PCP will become famous soon enough

Thor, I can not resist. lol!

Here are some more:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/Loy/USNI.html

http://www.hawaiiocean.com/HOI_Archives/HOI_2000-06/#Casulaties

http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Rescues/8_5_00.htm

http://abc.net.au/nt/news/200502/s1306679.htm

http://www.amsa.gov.au/about_amsa/Media_releases/2002/2002_jun_3.asp

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw105968_20041020.htm

They include sinking catamarans, all cruiser boats.

I also would like to quote a well known (and responsible) cruiser catamaran manufacturer (good cats) who says in his advertising, to help people choose the right sail boat, about multihull safety:

"Capsize is rare with well sailed cruising multihulls...The important factor, as with a car, is that the degree of risk is up to the driver/skipper. Drive or sail too fast for the conditions and the risk of a crash is higher. The decision is yours. It is not taken away from you by a heavy keel below, making it impossible to go fast. Nobody seriously suggests weighing ...a sailboat ... to limit performance, just because a few may not have the skill or maturity to sail a fast type of craft safely.

Thus, like a car, a multihull has the capability of very high speeds when desired, and the risk factor can consequently be higher.

In general, the risk factor will only begin to increase when boat speed exceeds 15 knots while reaching, or about 8 knots to windward.

Capsize thus must always be considered as a possibility, even if a remote one, and be prepared for. In this regard, there should be a special safety compartment that is accessible from both above and below for storing safety gear that will be immediately available if capsized."

I would say this is common sense and that was precisely what I meant when I said in a previous post:

"Main difference (in my opinion) is that an ocean monohull can take a lot more "errors" made by the skipper and need a lot less attention. The boat can take care of himself (almost) no matter what. With a Cat you have to pay a lot more attention to the wind, to the sail the boat carries, regarding the wind. It is not only the speed that is bigger; everything happens a lot faster in a cat, including capsizing."

Paulo
Old 02-26-2005

dogboater is on a distinguished road

Paulo, You can laugh out loud if you want to but your examples are worthless. First we were talking about small CRUISING catamarans for limited offshore use. Not one of your links has any info on what the boat is or what they were doing at the time. As to monos being more forgiving, if you''re in conditions that could put you or your vessel in danger, you better be paying attention. If I''m trying to go fast in conditions that I should be thinking about reefing, I''m really paying attention. Yes, you could probably capsize any cat, but if you''re in a situation where that could happen you better be aware of it or you don''t belong out there! General rule of thumb, cats reef for the lulls, monos reef for the puffs. The naysayers out there all seem to feel that cruising cats flip like a Hobie 16. The Gemini 105 is reported to right itself from 85 degrees, and I believe my 3000 is close to that. We went out fishing in the Gulf Stream on a day of small craft advisories (6~10'' seas) as much to see how the boat liked it as to fish. We saw a few sport fishermen (50'' Vikings) out getting the crap beat out of them. Motorsailing with a small jib only, about 40 degrees to the wind. Very comfortable, nobody sick. My wife has a nice dolphin on so I roll up the jib, slow down and am watching the other poles, My friend is on the stern with the gaff, in the excitement of the moment I get beam too, look over my wife''s shoulder at a breaking about 10 footer. Before I could say anyting to anyone we simply rolled right over it. No one else even noticed! I gained a lot of respect for the seaworthiness of my little boat that day. Another story and then I''m done. Last May We went from Key Largo to Boca Grand on Floridas west coast, about 210 miles. All of April and May 2004 blew like stink out of the east, no one fished, people I know blew out sails, nasty 15~30 seemed like forever. Every mono we saw was motoring or motorsailing with reefed sails. All the cats we saw were sailing. Second day out is a broadreach, reefed main and genny. We''re doing 8~10 kts comfortably in a short steep 4 foot chop. I had to steer as the auto pilot couldn''t keep up and all I could think about was what a handfull a mono would be in these conditions, one broach after another. Four days later we''re headed back beating into the same conditions and pass 2 groups of 25~35 foot monos all motorong or motorsailing in the same conditions we were sailing in while my wife read and our labs slept. We listened to them talking about how horrible it was out and that they''d given up on crossing the stream. Cruising on a cat is so superior to a mono there''s no comparison. I''ll trade the slight possibility of capsize for the comfort, safety and seaworthyness of a cat anyday. Now if the US just had more used boats to pick from.
Old 02-27-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

Billpjr I guess no one has an answer to your question.
Old 03-03-2005

dman,

Multihulls go faster. In theory they can spend less time in bad weather. In real life, just like Bumfuzzle''s experience (which is major typical and not an exception), they don''t point well enough in anything but silky smooth seas to make the trip shorter.

Old 03-03-2005

dman,

Multihulls go faster. In theory they can spend less time in bad weather. In real life, just like Bumfuzzle''s experience (which is major typical and not an exception), they don''t point well enough in anything but silky smooth seas to make the trip shorter.