Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 14
Which Boat To Buy?
It''s winter and I can''t sail but I can daydream...
My wife has hinted that perhaps we should get a new boat. I don''t believe she''s serious, and I don''t think we need (or can afford) a new boat, but indulge me...
Assuming a budget of $125K or so, and the following requirements, which boat would you select?
1. Boat would be used mostly for day sails on the Long Island Sound. I like to sail, a lot. In ''04 I was on the boat probably twice a week. Most trips would be 2-4 hours in duration. Nothing special, just leave the harbor, sail around the sound, then return. Maybe anchor and swim, or have dinner.
2. Sometimes I sail solo (maybe 10-20% of the time), more often there would be 2 adults and 3 kids (4, 7, 10), occasionally 4 adults and 4 kids.
3. A few weekend trips, maybe 1 per month. There would be the five of us on the boat for the weekend trips. I would like to be able to take another person or two on the weekend trips. I would expect that the extra person would be a kid, and would either double up or sleep outside. The season is May - October.
4. Maybe 1 longer trip, say 1-2 weeks in duration, for the family of five.
5. I have not done any racing, nor do I plan on it. However, the idea of racing is interesting.
6. Performance under sail is important to me. Motoring performance isn''t. I would prefer the sailing performance of a standard main over the convenience of a furling main. I like to fly an asymetric spinnaker for performance.
So, assuming all that, what boat would be best? So far I have identified the Hunter 33 as a real candidate. I''m not wild about the styling or the arch, but otherwise it would be perfect. The C&C 99 looks great, but is on the expensive side. The Catalina 320 would be a nice boat, but I don''t know about the performance. I don''t know much about the Jeanneau 32. What other boats are out there, and which would be best?
Thanks for any comments.