Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013

Tenoch is on a distinguished road
Re: Hot boat models

Contessa 32? Pearson Triton? They both seem to have their dedicated fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Nor'Sea 27s go fast and at a good price. Most don't stay on the market much more than a few weeks. Not in the size range asked for, but.....

Greg
davidpm likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alberg 37 and Esprit 37
I would agree with the Esprit 37, but, there are 5 Alberg 37's on yachtworld right now for between $20-70k.
Old 12-14-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Do you all think certain voyages/individuals have had an outsized influence on the cult-ishness of some boats. Take for example Tania Aebi's voyage on the Contessa 26, or maybe even James Baldwin's on a Pearson Triton? If Baldwin would have gone on a Bristol 27, would my boat be worth more?
Old 12-14-2013

mattt is on a distinguished road

I have had multiple people try to convince me that I should buy a Hinckley.
Old 12-14-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Hinckley is one of the few boats that have enough of a cult following that their older models sell for an amount that would be crazy if they were any other brand/builder in the same condition. Good boats certainly but any 30 or 40 year old boat has issues and Hinckley is no exception. In today's depressed market there are great values out there but 99% need work. To pay several times as much for an older Hinckley than for a comparable boat without the cache of the name doesn't make sense really.

The Contessa 32 probably sells for a larger amount than it really should, mostly because of Fastnet 79. Good boat but certainly not roomy and wet as well.

Based on prices asked and selling prices for the Vega 27 I don't think the voyages made have really added that much to its marketability.

The Alberg 37, if in good condition, compares well with many boats in the same size range that sell for much more and could be a very good buy.

One of the gems from the past that many ignore is the Chris Craft Commanche, designed by S&S - very similar to a Swan from the same era and for only a fraction of the price. Swans are another boat that sells for more than the physical boat is really worth, buoyed by the name.

Commanche on YachtWorld 1970 Chris Craft Comanche Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I am very familiar with this design. Same as the boat Glenn Wakefield is sailing around the world non-stop currently and awesome to weather. At almost halfway around he has averaged close to 120 miles per day to windward, solo.
Old 12-14-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Hinckley
The Contessa Vega 27 I don't think the voyages made have really added that much to its marketability.

The Alberg 37, iChris Craft Commanche, designed by S&S -
This is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for.

Anyone have more ideas?
Jef_H, Mr. Perry are usually my go to people for history and market.
Old 02-11-2014

petmac is on a distinguished road

"[QUOTE=mitiempo;1218402]Hinckley is one of the few boats that have enough of a cult following that their older models sell for an amount that would be crazy if they were any other brand/builder in the same condition. Good boats certainly but any 30 or 40 year old boat has issues and Hinckley is no exception. In today's depressed market there are great values out there but 99% need work. To pay several times as much for an older Hinckley than for a comparable boat without the cache of the name doesn't make sense really."

I have owned two older Hinckleys. Currently own a 1976 B40 Mark III sloop. Not just a cult :

From Practical Sailor re the Hinckley Bermuda 40 :
"Critics are quick to complain that other builders produce boats that are just as good for less money.More often than not,these sentiments are just sour grapes from people who can't afford a Hinckley or even a different brand of comparable quality.While we acknowledge that there are a few builders around the world which build boats to the same exacting level,Hinckley is nonetheless unique in North American boatbuilding."
Practical Sailor concluded:
"Obviously,Hinckleys aren't for everyone.They are expensive and only you can decide whether the many little quality details are worth the cost. As one owner said,"The B40 is to be bought on the day that the full significance of 'you only have one life to live' becomes clear."

Jack Horner wrote in his boat review:
"The Bermuda 40 is a quintessential example of Tripp's art and masterful eye for near-perfect balance.I think it can be said safely that this boat has stood the test of time,and,although the design is now 40 years old,many people,myself among them,still consider the Bermuda 40 one of the most beautiful yachts afloat."
In conclusion Hornor writes:
"The bottom line is these are very expensive boats,but they do retain their value exceptionally well and under some market conditions may even appreciate in value.They're out of my range of affordability but I can still dream of someday being able to own one or,better yet,design a boat of such lasting beauty."

Ferenc Mate' wrote of the B40 :
"without question the greatest fiberglass boat of all time"

John Kretschmer wrote in his Used Boat Notebook:
If you have $150,000 to spend,would you rather have a beautifully reconditioned 1975 B40 or a new 32 foot ABC production boat ? Which boat will be worth more in five years ? Which boat would you rather sail ?
He also writes "From the recessed,frameless portlights to the custom-made stainless steel deck fittings,to the lovely toerail,the boat drips with quality."

These are very well built boats.
Old 02-13-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Me likie this thread!
Old 02-13-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

[quote=petmac;1404610]"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Hinckley is one of the few boats that have enough of a cult following that their older models sell for an amount that would be crazy if they were any other brand/builder in the same condition. Good boats certainly but any 30 or 40 year old boat has issues and Hinckley is no exception. In today's depressed market there are great values out there but 99% need work. To pay several times as much for an older Hinckley than for a comparable boat without the cache of the name doesn't make sense really."

I have owned two older Hinckleys. Currently own a 1976 B40 Mark III sloop. Not just a cult :

From Practical Sailor re the Hinckley Bermuda 40 :
"Critics are quick to complain that other builders produce boats that are just as good for less money.More often than not,these sentiments are just sour grapes from people who can't afford a Hinckley or even a different brand of comparable quality.While we acknowledge that there are a few builders around the world which build boats to the same exacting level,Hinckley is nonetheless unique in North American boatbuilding."
Practical Sailor concluded:
"Obviously,Hinckleys aren't for everyone.They are expensive and only you can decide whether the many little quality details are worth the cost. As one owner said,"The B40 is to be bought on the day that the full significance of 'you only have one life to live' becomes clear."

Jack Horner wrote in his boat review:
"The Bermuda 40 is a quintessential example of Tripp's art and masterful eye for near-perfect balance.I think it can be said safely that this boat has stood the test of time,and,although the design is now 40 years old,many people,myself among them,still consider the Bermuda 40 one of the most beautiful yachts afloat."
In conclusion Hornor writes:
"The bottom line is these are very expensive boats,but they do retain their value exceptionally well and under some market conditions may even appreciate in value.They're out of my range of affordability but I can still dream of someday being able to own one or,better yet,design a boat of such lasting beauty."

Ferenc Mate' wrote of the B40 :
"without question the greatest fiberglass boat of all time"

John Kretschmer wrote in his Used Boat Notebook:
If you have $150,000 to spend,would you rather have a beautifully reconditioned 1975 B40 or a new 32 foot ABC production boat ? Which boat will be worth more in five years ? Which boat would you rather sail ?
He also writes "From the recessed,frameless portlights to the custom-made stainless steel deck fittings,to the lovely toerail,the boat drips with quality."

These are very well built boats.
Amen!! It is all in the details.... I work on quite a few Hinkley's & Morris Yachts and can say that without a doubt they are multiple notches above even other "premium" build boats..

The devil is in the details and you can takn almost any item on the boat, starting with the keels, and see vast differnces in build.......

Morris 36 Fin Keel - 13 Over sized keel bolts ON A DAY SAILOR!

Typical 36' Production Boat - 5 Bolts

This keel weighs 400 pounds more than the Morris Keel and uses 5 less keel bolts that are considerably smaller...

I would own a B-40 or Morris Justine in a heart beat.......

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-13-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.