Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Morrea Spindrift 43 history????

Hello all, I am looking to find out some information about the Ron Amy spindrift 43 traditional double ender sailboat. My girl friend and I have upgraded to a sailboat that is an exact spitting image of a spindrift 43, however on the papers it is a Custom Moorea 43. Now I did some research and have come up with very little about these boats, I know my boat was built in the Formosa yard like the spindrifts, and it was built in 1984 the same time spindrift were being built. In 86 I believe the spindrifts became the Formosa 43 and later the Hampton 43, our boat precedes both of these later variants, so I cant imagine they are relevant. Now I have noticed some other spindrift adds of boats that were for sale where they mentioned that the boat was a Morea Spindrift 43 Spindrift 43 yacht for sale
And another add where they refer to the ship as a Moorea 43 Moorea 44 Sold
I have not found a lick of info on the Custom Moorea 43, and little history and detail on the spindrift production. Our boat is absolutely beautiful, and was built with quality in mind. We are the second owners of the boat and the original owner bought the boat at the fort Lauderdale boat show in 1984 new, and the boat spent the first part of her life cruising Florida and the Bahamas. The previous owner donated the boat to a sleazy non-profit for tax reasons no doubt, after owning the boat for about 27 years. I saw the add, called the guy, and smelling opportunity my girl friend and I drove from Baltimore md to Pompano beach Fl the next day to check her out. I have found in life that fortune favors the bold. The asking was 48 and I sealed the deal for less than half of that! The original owner refused to speak with us at all, we assume due to the fact that he donated the boat writing off 120k and we paid a sixth of that perhaps he could get in trouble for that I have no idea. Any way, I would really just love to find out where this Moorea, or morea came from and what the history is behind these boats, and why some spindrifts were referred to as moorea spindrifts, or morea spindrifts. And why is our ship a Custom Morrea 43, and not a spindrift 43 on the papers. I feel like we may have to find this info out from some one who was around the Formosa yard during the years these beautiful boats were being produced, or knew Ron Amy and have info on the reason for the different names. Thanks all. Just message me and I can send you pic of our boat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Morrea Spindrift 43 history????

It was not unusual for Taiwan boats to be marketed under different names. Sometimes a dealer wanted to put his own brand on a boat. I have several boats like this. Baba 40, Panda 40, Tashiba 40 are all the exact same boat. It may also have had to do with conflicting US dealer territories, i.e. "you can sell the boat. but you can't call it a Spindrift". I know the boat but I have always known it as a Spindrift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 12-12-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxandreams View Post
Thanks all. Just message me and I can send you pic of our boat!
Can you post photos here? Inquiring minds wanna see!
fair winds!

My boat is for sale.

Old 12-12-2013
young salt

Thanks Bob, I think you are right in that its the same boat, different name, just weird that un-like your Baba, Panda and Tashiba we produced in that order, this was built smack dab in the middle of spindrift production in the same yard but named different. You may have something in the dealer thing for as we connected the dots to try to find the origin of our boat it seamed that an individual imported her to the states, where he sold her at the Fort Lauderdale boat show in 84, not sure how he was connected to everything, but could get his name if that might ring any bells for anyone. These boats were highly customizable for buyers, and after looking around at other Spindrifts, it seams that who ever was in charge of our boat opted for all the extras. I tried to put pics up but I keep getting an error message that prompts me to contact the web master....

P.S. baba 40 was our first choice, but couldn't find enough of a fixer-upper to be able to afford one. although I did snag a Baba 30 for my dad last year for 14k at an auction with a brand new yanmar in her!
Old 12-12-2013
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Can you post photos here? Inquiring minds wanna see!
fair winds!
It wont let me for some reason, internal server error. Ill keep trying.
any one have any ideas on how I can get pics up?
Old 12-12-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Oh that... Crux. If you get a free photo site like Photo bucket it's very easy to post pics here. many many photos anywhere online can posted here too if they aren't copy protected. like this.
when you see a pic like that. hover your pointer over it, right click and use "copy image location" From your own online photo album copy the direct link and paste them to the dialog box that opens when you click on the insert image at the page top.

My boat is for sale.

Old 12-12-2013
young salt

some photos

dreamin-man's's Library | Photobucket

Last edited by Faster; 12-12-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: used IMG code to embed pics
Old 12-12-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I had never seen a center cockpit version before. Maybe that has something to do with the name change. Everyone I have talked to that has sailed the boat says it sails very well. Didn't they make the same basic boat in two different sizes. Not much diffrent though.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 12-14-2013
young salt

Yes The second add I linked with the original post mentions there were only 6 center cockpit Spindrifts ever made!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.