Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013

Jhildy is on a distinguished road
Cabo Rico vs Island Packet vs Baba

Iím looking to buy a boat to fulfill a dream to explore the Bahamas and Caribbean (by myself bc the wife does not enjoy monohull sailing) for six months or so. If I like it; I may keep her and go offshore for a few months yearly, if I donít I need to sell her and get my money back. My offshore experience is limited so I want to get a solid bluewater boat I have absolute confidence in during a heavy blow; and something I can handle. My heavy weather tactic will be to Heave to; so I prefer a fuller keel boat that does it easily and maintains her stability in heavy weather.

I want to spend under $130,000 / Dry & solid boat in bluewater / Wide sidedeck and foretriangle / Liveability inside and out / Easy Resale-popular boat / Singlehanded-ness / Reliability / Dry Boat

Iíve narrowed down my choice between a Cabo Rico 34/38í or an Island Packet 350 Ė 1992-1995 / maybe a Baba(? too). I would like your input on things I donít know; since I have not sailed either one. I put my personal ratings on things I do know; but would like yíall input on areas I donít know. Boy, the Cabo is sure pretty to my eye; Iím almost blind to any of her faults bc of her beauty. From my research, the IP is also a solid boat, but on my beauty scale; she is a 4 out of 10-ugh-ly! This is something I may have to overcome though if it is the right boat.

Please give me your ratings and knowledge on the areas below and Thanks!
Cabo IP Baba
Beauty 10 5 8
Bluewater ability ? ? ?
Wide decks 8 ? ?
Liveability features ? ? ?
Reliable Reputation ? ? ?
Easy singlehanding ? ? ?
Easy ReSale ? ? ?

I appreciate your knowledgeable input.

It's better to try a live the dream than dream about your dreams!

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Cabo Rico vs Island Packet vs Baba

As an owner of a Cabo Rico 34 Id say I'd be somwhat biased.. So I will recommend futher to other biased opinions as we hang out here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...forum/caborico

Clay
s/v 'Tango
CR 34
Lankford Bay,Md.
Old 12-15-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

What Baba?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

A Tartan 37. Has centerboard for bahamas too:
The Tartan 37 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 12-15-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

As vtsailguy points out, you probably want to consider draft strongly too. The baba draws 5'5" (vs. 4'3" for the IP). That alone would drop it to the bottom of my list for the Bahamas. Personally I think the IP is the most practical choice. Less maintenance, lowest draft, roomiest. That aside, I would buy the Cabo Rico hands down. Great build quality and by far the best looking of the bunch to my eye.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 12-16-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

For where you want to go, ANY of the boats manufactured in the last 10 yrs that are mid 30' on up will work JUST FINE! Including the lower priced boats like Catalina, Jeanneau, Beneteau, hunter etc. Just make sure the boat you get is solid, no rot, water in the cored area's, draft appropriate for where you will sail.........

Marty
Old 12-16-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Hi Jim,

All three are solid boats. You should be able to resell any of them if life takes you that way, although "easy" is generally not applicable to selling boats.

A lot depends on what you mean by offshore. If you will commute on the ICW and hop across to the Bahamas, even island hop up and down through the Eastern Caribbean, any will be fine.

If you might leave Norfolk or Newport and head straight toward the Bahamas or BVI, with or without a stop in Bermuda, the calculus changes. The IP doesn't point tremendously well and the Baba (a 35?), due to full sections forward, can be frustratingly slow in a sea. This is a common characteristic of heavy, full-keel boats with a lot of buoyancy forward. I have spent a lot of time offshore trying to get and keep a boat moving in a sea.

I have never hove to in an Island Packet but I suspect on the newer, three digit boats with the Full Foil Keel(r) you will experience a lot of leeway.

Personally I think it is important that the boat speak to you, and that you feel good about the boat. Your perspective on the aesthetics of the IP should weigh heavily. I believe you should look back at your boat as you dinghy ashore and be happy.

Given your description of your feelings about the Cabo Rico boats I would encourage you to head in that direction. They are solid, dependable, comfortable boats that sail well. A customer of mine singlehands a Cabo Rico 42 inshore and offshore. I've seen him in many places along the Eastern Seaboard - I think he likes the sailing more than the destinations.

Good luck.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Bluto. For what you're talking about, I'd much rather spend $80K on a nice, pimpin' 90's era production boat, then blow the other $50K on wine, women, and punk rock.

Island Packet

Baba

Cabo Rico

Beneteau

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-16-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-16-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Based on a completely scientific analysis without any bias whatsoever, considering all factors possible to be considered, applying precise mathematical principles of logic and Ö.

Usually, I agree with smack but this timeÖ

I just like the way the Cabo looks.
Old 12-16-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I'll bet you smack your head on the companionway hatch opening. Somebody didn't know how to design a hatch.

Bob's Blog ....