Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailerable sailboats with 7+' cockpit?

Whiel they may be a bit hard to find, the Hereshoff-designed Chrysler 20 is, hands-down, my favorite owened boat (except for my current ride, of course).

Along with a huge cckkpit and generous beam, it has a big boat, solid feel that is partly due to the skeg swing keel trunk and rudder that comes up from the bottom of the cockpit sole instead of being stern hung.

Here is some basic information, but you will find much more if you do some research: CHRYSLER 20 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Murph
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
My wife and I trailer-launched and rigged our Catalina 22, parked the trailer, bent on the sails and pulled away from the dock in 30 minutes.
After you have gone through the process 3-4 times and are familiar with the steps, so that you don't have to stop and think about what comes next, 30 minutes should be realistic.
I believe you, but wow that's fast. I hope I can get that sort of rhythm going. I'm sure my first time rigging the boat (ahem, carefully avoiding saying anything about getting it up) will be a two hour plus affair.

I guess it must be repetition that does it. The previous owner with whom I de-rigged the boat kept it on a mooring, so in the four years he owned it he only de-rigged it four times. I suppose the year between riggings is just about enough time to forget the process so you have to re-think it every time.
Old 12-17-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Understand that in a boat this size and weight, every foot you add to the cockpit is a foot stolen from the cabin. And there are no spare feet to go around, so sumthin's gonna suffer. Some good suggestions here; water-ballasted sailboats are an acquired taste, but they do allow you more length and freeboard for a given tow weight. Minus WB, your choices will settle into the 18-23 foot range if you want to keep it under 3000# all up. Swing or lifting keel, obviously. If you want newer and can afford $15k, look into a used Ultimate 20 (U20). It has surprising room inside, and goes like cheetah. Ultralight construction, so much of its 1260# in in the keel bulb. Draws a bit w/ keel down, tho, so it needs 5' of water under it.

The Sun Cat line from Compac has a large cockpit (mast forward) & is beamy below, so more room than you would expect. The gaff rig can be raised by one person in under 5 minutes, and there is no jib to mess with.

Among older boats, our SJ21 Mk1 has an unusually long cockpit ( over 7') and weighs in at ~1500#, 2200# on the trailer. But interior room is similar to a 2-person tent. We've spent 11 straight days living on it, but comfy it ain't. A flush decked boat gives you lounging room despite a smaller cockpit, and you get more space below.

It's hard to find & a tussle to launch, but the Bene 23.5 packs more interior space into a small package than any boat that length; cockpit isn't quite 7' and the weight is nearing your limit, tho.

Our perceptions of comfort have changed over the decades; average US house is twice as big as in 1960, tho family size has gotten smaller. So if a feeling of space is important to you, you may ave to go for the 23'+ water ballasted boats with high freeboards, like the Hunters or Macs.
Old 12-18-2013

jsnoble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Understand that in a boat this size and weight, every foot you add to the cockpit is a foot stolen from the cabin. And there are no spare feet to go around, so sumthin's gonna suffer. Some good suggestions here; water-ballasted sailboats are an acquired taste, but they do allow you more length and freeboard for a given tow weight. Minus WB, your choices will settle into the 18-23 foot range if you want to keep it under 3000# all up. Swing or lifting keel, obviously. If you want newer and can afford $15k, look into a used (U20). It has surprising room inside, and goes like cheetah. Ultralight construction, so much of its 1260# in in the keel bulb. Draws a bit w/ keel down, tho, so it needs 5' of water under it.

The Sun Cat line from Compac has a large cockpit (mast forward) & is beamy below, so more room than you would expect. The gaff rig can be raised by one person in under 5 minutes, and there is no jib to mess with.

Among older boats, our SJ21 Mk1 has an unusually long cockpit ( over 7') and weighs in at ~1500#, 2200# on the trailer. But interior room is similar to a 2-person tent. We've spent 11 straight days living on it, but comfy it ain't. A flush decked boat gives you lounging room despite a smaller cockpit, and you get more space below.

Our perceptions of comfort have changed over the decades; average US house is twice as big as in 1960, tho family size has gotten smaller. So if a feeling of space is important to you, you may ave to go for the 23'+ water ballasted boats with high freeboards, like the Hunters or Macs.
Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts and will check out the U20, not sure I could launch it though on our MO ramps.

I see you have a Buc ... That is our current boat and it has served us well. We are just looking for something we can trailer, take another couple out for a comfortable day sail, yet still just the two of us spend the weekend.
Old 12-19-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road

I think an Elan 210 could fit the bill. Not quite sure about the 7' cockpit, looks close. A compact little rocket, liftingkeel, light and trailerable with lots of innovative ideas to fit a small space and rigged easily. Her planing hull might also offer a little excitement....
Yacht, Sail, Boat, Yachts - ELAN YACHTS | Elan 210
Old 12-19-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

I would second the Chrysler 20... much larger cockpit than anything in its class (though as others have observed, this comes at the expense of a less-generous cabin). In this class you need to make tough choices trading-off between cockpit and cabin.

Think hard about your use of the boat... will you (and others) REALLY want to spend many nights cooking and sleeping on a 20-footer with 4 feet of cabin (coffin) "headroom"? Or will you primarily daysail... where a generous cockpit is more useful? Those answers will lead you to your best choice.
Old 12-22-2013

Zac Penn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
I would second the Chrysler 20... much larger cockpit than anything in its class (though as others have observed, this comes at the expense of a less-generous cabin). In this class you need to make tough choices trading-off between cockpit and cabin.

Think hard about your use of the boat... will you (and others) REALLY want to spend many nights cooking and sleeping on a 20-footer with 4 feet of cabin (coffin) "headroom"? Or will you primarily daysail... where a generous cockpit is more useful? Those answers will lead you to your best choice.
I have a Chrysler 22 and actually wish I had the Chrysler 20! My wife has already said she will die before she spends a night in that small cabin of the 22 and the cockpit is very small. If I had the 20 and the extra cockpit space I think I would enjoy the boat more and spend less time trying to come up with usable seating space for passengers. However trying to find a Chrysler 20 around here is probably pretty hard to do.

Good luck on your search,
Zac
Old 12-22-2013

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
I think an Elan 210 could fit the bill. Not quite sure about the 7' cockpit, looks close. A compact little rocket, liftingkeel, light and trailerable with lots of innovative ideas to fit a small space and rigged easily. Her planing hull might also offer a little excitement....
Yacht, Sail, Boat, Yachts - ELAN YACHTS | Elan 210
That Elan 210 looks nice!
I'm going to use the storage along the sides idea In my Mac26D.
Old 12-24-2013

wuffiesails is on a distinguished road
Trailerable sailboats with 7+' cockpit?

O'Day Mariner.
Old 12-24-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

The Capri 22, has a 7.5' cockpit, and a down below that you can sit in (that's it)...
It's #2500 all up (without trailer).. probably RIGHT at #3000 with trailer, or slightly over.

I could rig it and launch it in about 40-45 minutes without really killing myself (this is with regular hank on sails)... If I put on vang and topping lift and all that... slightly longer. But motor away in 45 minutes, sailing in about an hour.

Also the wing keel model is much easier to launch/retrieve if you have a decent incline ramp. It helps to have a pickup truck to pull it but otherwise it was a decent sailing boat, that was overnightable, and fairly easy to rig. The Capri 18 is even lighter, and has about a 6.5 cockpit. Down below is even tighter... but the boat is also a slug. The precision 18 should be considered if either of these intrigue you. http://www.precisionboatworks.com/bo..._Precision.pdf