SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

O'Day 302

17K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  the_alpine 
#1 ·
I am in the process of purchasing an 88 O'Day 302 and am quite excited. Right now I am working on getting the survey scheduled.

I was looking for any experience folks have had with the boat? I am interested in hearing from folks who have actually sailed or owned a 302. Likes, Gripes? I am aware of some of the issues involving the keel, and that is a major consideration I wanted evaluated during the survey.

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
:D
Actually I know very little about the 302 I friend had a 322 which looks nearly the same, he had that massive wing keel.

:rolleyes: Neither of those late 80s look anything like the 28,30,31, 35. which look like clones of the same.

I think they may have been built by Pearson since it was the late 80s .

#3 · (Edited)
I am in the process of purchasing an 88 O'Day 302 and am quite excited. Right now I am working on getting the survey scheduled.

I was looking for any experience folks have had with the boat? I am interested in hearing from folks who have actually sailed or owned a 302. Likes, Gripes? I am aware of some of the issues involving the keel, and that is a major consideration I wanted evaluated during the survey.

Thanks.
Pay very close attention to the keel stubs on these boats. We know some were 1/4" or less thick and a few of them had had the keels literally fall off.

O'Day 302 Loses Keel - Check Yours

#5 ·
I've owned an 87 302 for 2.5 years now. I love it. Sure, if you google it you'll encounter the inevitable "302 LOOSES ITS KEEL!" results. If its a concern, do as the previous owner of my boat did and glass/fair around the hull keel joint and reinforce.

If I had to state my biggest gripe - I'd say its that I don't have the 322.

I'm pretty hard on my equipment, and the 302 has stood up well. We've sailed her offshore for 40 hours in 40 knot winds and 20' waves. She did great. I cruised the Bahamas with her for 2 months in Spring 2013, been to the Tortugas twice and sail locally a few times a week. She'll do it all and keep you comfy and happy.

The End.

#6 ·
I've owned an 87 302 for 2.5 years now. I love it. Sure, if you google it you'll encounter the inevitable "302 LOOSES ITS KEEL!" results. If its a concern, do as the previous owner of my boat did and glass/fair around the hull keel joint and reinforce.

If I had to state my biggest gripe - I'd say its that I don't have the 322.

I'm pretty hard on my equipment, and the 302 has stood up well. We've sailed her offshore for 40 hours in 40 knot winds and 20' waves. She did great. I cruised the Bahamas with her for 2 months in Spring 2013, been to the Tortugas twice and sail locally a few times a week. She'll do it all and keep you comfy and happy.

The End.
That's great!
But.... "how to" reinforce the keel stub may be really appreciated by those feeling less then confident because of the "302 lost keel horror story.

#10 ·
I've seen several early 302's and 322's with severe creases in the topsides from the chainplate shelf pulling inboard when the shrouds are under tension. I sailed on one where you could see the hull flexing severely in that area as the boat went through waves. The gelcoat was badly crazed in that area as well.

Later boats were probably beefed up, but its well worth poking your head over the windward side of the boat and looking for this when going to windward.

In general, the older 28, 30/31 and 34/35 were far better built than the 272, 302 and 322.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.