Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013

hp1xbg is on a distinguished road
O'Day 302

I am in the process of purchasing an 88 O'Day 302 and am quite excited. Right now I am working on getting the survey scheduled.

I was looking for any experience folks have had with the boat? I am interested in hearing from folks who have actually sailed or owned a 302. Likes, Gripes? I am aware of some of the issues involving the keel, and that is a major consideration I wanted evaluated during the survey.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road
Re: O'Day 302

Denise should be posting soon. She does not have a 302, but something close and is the Goddess of all things O'day (and perhaps everything else). Be ready to bow down...
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 12-16-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1xbg View Post
I am in the process of purchasing an 88 O'Day 302 and am quite excited. Right now I am working on getting the survey scheduled.

I was looking for any experience folks have had with the boat? I am interested in hearing from folks who have actually sailed or owned a 302. Likes, Gripes? I am aware of some of the issues involving the keel, and that is a major consideration I wanted evaluated during the survey.

Thanks.
Pay very close attention to the keel stubs on these boats. We know some were 1/4" or less thick and a few of them had had the keels literally fall off.

O'Day 302 Loses Keel - Check Yours

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-16-2013 at 08:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
Denise should be posting soon. She does not have a 302, but something close and is the Goddess of all things O'day (and perhaps everything else). Be ready to bow down...

Actually I know very little about the 302 I friend had a 322 which looks nearly the same, he had that massive wing keel.

Neither of those late 80s look anything like the 28,30,31, 35. which look like clones of the same.

I think they may have been built by Pearson since it was the late 80s .

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 12-16-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2013

the_alpine is on a distinguished road

I've owned an 87 302 for 2.5 years now. I love it. Sure, if you google it you'll encounter the inevitable "302 LOOSES ITS KEEL!" results. If its a concern, do as the previous owner of my boat did and glass/fair around the hull keel joint and reinforce.

If I had to state my biggest gripe - I'd say its that I don't have the 322.

I'm pretty hard on my equipment, and the 302 has stood up well. We've sailed her offshore for 40 hours in 40 knot winds and 20' waves. She did great. I cruised the Bahamas with her for 2 months in Spring 2013, been to the Tortugas twice and sail locally a few times a week. She'll do it all and keep you comfy and happy.

The End.
Old 12-19-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
I've owned an 87 302 for 2.5 years now. I love it. Sure, if you google it you'll encounter the inevitable "302 LOOSES ITS KEEL!" results. If its a concern, do as the previous owner of my boat did and glass/fair around the hull keel joint and reinforce.

If I had to state my biggest gripe - I'd say its that I don't have the 322.

I'm pretty hard on my equipment, and the 302 has stood up well. We've sailed her offshore for 40 hours in 40 knot winds and 20' waves. She did great. I cruised the Bahamas with her for 2 months in Spring 2013, been to the Tortugas twice and sail locally a few times a week. She'll do it all and keep you comfy and happy.

The End.
That's great!
But.... "how to" reinforce the keel stub may be really appreciated by those feeling less then confident because of the "302 lost keel horror story.

My boat is for sale.

Old 12-19-2013
1934 Chickering

"external fixes are usually not deep enough to instill confidence"

I made that up!!
miatapaul and Sal Paradise like this.

My boat is for sale.

Old 12-19-2013

hp1xbg is on a distinguished road

Alpine,

Your post makes me very happy. I am moving forward with the survey in early January and if all goes well, I will own a very pretty 302.

Just out of curiosity, what would you prefer about the 322 versus the 302?

Mack
Old 12-24-2013

the_alpine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
That's great!
But.... "how to" reinforce the keel stub may be really appreciated by those feeling less then confident because of the "302 lost keel horror story.
That is the "how to." Also - check the keel bolts obviously. Though I'm not sure checking them in the water is helpful with all that weight on them. A proper check may mean hauling and putting blocks under the keel to take the weight off? I'm not sure about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1xbg View Post
Alpine,

Your post makes me very happy. I am moving forward with the survey in early January and if all goes well, I will own a very pretty 302.

Just out of curiosity, what would you prefer about the 322 versus the 302?

Mack
Obviously the 322 is bigger so a bit roomier, but most notably - the 322 has a dedicated nav table and a seperate fridge. The 302 has the nav table with the icebox under the lid. Its kind of annoying. To get into the icebox, ya gotta lift up your nav table which inevitably has things on it. A minor inconvenience.
Old 12-29-2013
Sailor

Foxy is on a distinguished road

I've seen several early 302's and 322's with severe creases in the topsides from the chainplate shelf pulling inboard when the shrouds are under tension. I sailed on one where you could see the hull flexing severely in that area as the boat went through waves. The gelcoat was badly crazed in that area as well.

Later boats were probably beefed up, but its well worth poking your head over the windward side of the boat and looking for this when going to windward.

In general, the older 28, 30/31 and 34/35 were far better built than the 272, 302 and 322.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.