Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 32 Opinions

I''m looking at a Bayfield 32 (short rig). Anybody have info to share on their construction or know any major construction issues to look for? I''m fine with the design so not interested in info on sailing performance or sail handling. Bridge clearance and draft restrictions limit my choices and this boat fits my needs.

Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 32 Opinions

Bill, if the B32 suits your needs, then that''s at least 51% of the answer. As you have probably noticed, however, she is not offering you much room or storage for a 32'' boat, nor is her waterline promising you the speed that, these days, one can hope to get from 32'' LOD. Finally, that limited draft is not going to be your friend when sailing to weather (unlike e.g. a centerboard boat will offer).

Just offered as food for thought...

Jack
Old 02-11-2005

dman is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 32 Opinions

Billpjr The construction of these boats from people I know that had them are that they are top notch.I know that the prices that they sell for are definitely best buys and what about that look? Beautiful
Old 02-12-2005

splitmind is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 32 Opinions

I would disagree with regards to storage on the 32.

There is more good cabin storage on this boat than on many newer yachts of similar length. The lazarettes are reasonable for a 32'' vessel.

Visit www.bayfieldyachtowners.org to learn all about these yachts. Just posted was an interesting article about an Englishman who sailed one from Charelston to the UK, via Antigua and the Azores.

Most 32 owners I''ve met wouldn''t trade their yacht for anything else in the same length. The only way we would part with ours would be to go to something larger. (38+ foot cruiser.) That is many years away for us however which is fine.
Old 03-17-2005

MCMarky is on a distinguished road
Bayfield 32 Opinions

Good Day. My wife and I live on board a 32C and love it. She has her short comings (the boat), but all in all she''s a great package... the vessel was in very, very poor condition when we purchased her: here''re a few things I''d look for. All windows leaked on ours... the water would run into the cieling liner, and then run down the aft bulkheads where the liner was cut out to accomidate them. Check along the base of those bulkheads. Our boat had been badly squeezed at some time or another, and the entire floor pan (which is structural) was loose as it is only glued in with thickened resin gipe during consturction. We gutted our boat to re-tab the floor pan and replace those bulk heads. I don''t know if this is common to all bayfields, but we also have an issue with water draining from the anchor locker and pooling under the floor liner then welling up under the mast compression post... this is likely an issue related to the fact that ours is one of only two ketch rigged 32s, and the mast is further forward than on the sloops.

The boat is a fantastic sailer for a full keel but does crab fairly badly when pointing high.

We had her off shore last summer and she took a beating very well heading up in a gale. Great boats, and don''t worry about the hydraulic drives... ours needed new hoses but works very well in spite of what you read... I don''t know what the issue is there.