Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005

amunk is on a distinguished road
Opinion about plywood-epoxy contruction

I am considering a custom 35'' sailboat constructed from plywood-epoxy. I would appreciate some insight about this type of construction. I plan to live aboard and sail from the great lakes south to the Florida keys and beyond. The boat has a shallow draft and the living space is adequate for my needs. I really want to know more about the construction and what to look for.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2005

brazilnut is on a distinguished road

Amunk, have a look at the site of Brazilian yacht designer Roberto Barros (www.yachtdesign.com.br). He designs terrific yachts for home building and offers some good info on this type of building. You''ll find a link on his site to the Multichine 28 club, where a number of people have posted sites showing the construction process and final result. You might try to contact them to see how happy they are with their boats. I''m considering a Multichine 28 for myself and have no problem with its ply-glass construction.
Good luck,
Mark
Old 02-15-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I think that you need to provide more detail because there are a number of contruction approaches that could loosely be called "plywood-epoxy" and they vary quite widely in their quality, and durability. Epoxy saturated cold molded plywood, in which individual veneers are laid up to create a hull that is in effect a single sheet of plywood can produce one of the strongest (for its weight), low maintenance, and most durable boat building techniques that there is. At the other extreme is a boat built from sheet plywood that is sealed with unreinforced epoxy resin, which is a pretty inexpensive way to build a boat but which is not all that strong or durable. There is an extremely wide range of variations in between.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Old 03-03-2005

Jeff_H, I''m wondering if you could offer a little more information about the different ply-glass techniques. As you mention, there are a number of them. The yacht that I''m looking at is a hard chine hull that has been made with a thin 6mm marine plywood core covered with epoxy resin and cloth. I understand the plywood core is like a skin that the layup covers but isn''t really there for its strength. It''s practically a pure fiberglass hull. It does eliminate the need for hull molds and allows for easy one-off construction. What do you think the drawbacks are to this type of construction? I wonder about the durability and issues like delamination, but from what I''ve read so far many of these boats have been around for years and years. Sailnet''s Michelle Potter built a boat using the same technique. I would really appreciate hearing a little more on this from someone who has built a boat with this technique. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2005

Jeff_H, I''m wondering if you could offer a little more information about the different ply-glass techniques. As you mention, there are a number of them. The yacht that I''m looking at is a hard chine hull that has been made with a thin 6mm marine plywood core covered with epoxy resin and cloth. I understand the plywood core is like a skin that the layup covers but isn''t really there for its strength. It''s practically a pure fiberglass hull. It does eliminate the need for hull molds and allows for easy one-off construction. What do you think the drawbacks are to this type of construction? I wonder about the durability and issues like delamination, but from what I''ve read so far many of these boats have been around for years and years. Sailnet''s Michelle Potter built a boat using the same technique. I would really appreciate hearing a little more on this from someone who has built a boat with this technique. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2005

paulk is on a distinguished road

I''d get a copy of Reuel B. Parker''s book : The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding /From Lofting to Launching, to have a good overview of ONE of the methods (as JeffH suggests) that''s out there. The South African Naval Architecht Dudley Dix wrote an article for Woodenboat a year or so ago, I believe, about another technique he used in his backyard. Of course, if you''re talking epoxy, the Gougeon''s book on WEST-system cold-molded boatbuilding is also de rigeur. In any case, however, the theory is one thing, and the practice of it is another.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.