Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005

kimberlt is on a distinguished road
solo across the Atlantic

why not look at Amel. lots of room "A" rated CE for any ocean and a dream to sail. no problem to sail this 50 footer solo.
fair winds,
eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2006

katytoo is on a distinguished road
Why do it??

dman,
Your observation could have been made by my wife who I love and, after 30 years and four kids, I owe everything to. But, I still disagree with her. You're asking why people do strange things like try to sail a smaller boat across a big ocean singlehanded. The answer is that doing something that takes fortitude and skill, that is dangerous, and that requires effort out of the ordinary fulfills a need in many people to stand out, to be that little bit special, to be different. I think it's great that people do try to climb mountains, walk across continents, sail alone across oceans, or whatever their thing is. The need for people to do these sorts of things is the reason we have "reality TV". The true "reality", though, is Ellen MacArthur on her boat in the middle of the Atlantic, 200 miles from anywhere, at the top of her mast for a couple of hours fixing whatever it was that went wrong up there. Or, the two women who walked across Antarctica a couple of years ago. Or note the two blind sailors are currently circumnavigating the world in their sloop, or the man with two artificial legs who was walking DOWN Ayers Rock in Central Australia in 100 degree heat while I was struggling past him to walk up the mountain. Those are the sorts of people I admire.
Once we stop dreaming and stop trying to fulfill our dreams we might as well chuck it in as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps next summer I'll be able to get off my butt and actually accomplish one or two of my ambitions. I hope so, I'm getting older every day.
Fair winds!!
Old 11-19-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Halberg Rassy

These are the choice. The sturdiest boat, in my opinion, for what you want.

In fact they hold the record (as they state) for the being the Boat builder with most Atlantic crossings.

And everytime I see one,there is allways an old couple sailing it, they don't look stressed and I have seen them all over the World, from all over the World.

Note: I DO NOT own one. Too slow.
Old 11-19-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you want to cross the Atlantic, it doesn't have to be in a monstrously expensive 40+ boat. It can be done relatively inexpensively, using a boat of much more modest size. There are a lot of boats in the 28–35' range that are more than capable of crossing the Atlantic. The amount of comfort on a passage will have more to do with your skills, familiarity with the boat, and weather planning rather than the size of the boat.

Larger boats can be much harder to handle in that the sails, equipment, ground tackle are much heavier than on a smaller boat. If you've ever tried to reef the main sail on a 45' boat by yourself, versus doing the same thing on a 32' boat, you'd see that in rough conditions, it is generally far simpler to do on the smaller boat.

Also, the gear on many larger boats is more complicated....in-mast or in-boom mainsail reefing can present problems that you won't get with simpler slab reefing. Power winches and windlasses can fail.

The Contessa 26/32, Alberg 30, Nauticat 32, Hallberg Rassy 312, Southern Cross 31, and Westsail 32, among others are all possibilities over a wide price range. None of them is perfect for an ocean crossing, but all are capable of doing it...

All of them are small enough to be easily single-handed. The gear and equipment on them is simple enough to be maintained by anyone with a modicum of skill and knowledge.

DavidWarner—

Doing an ocean crossing in something less than 20' long is a bit more ambitious than I would be willing to do... but if you really want a production boat that is capable of doing it... A Flicka is 20' LOA or so...and capable of making such a passage.

A Drascombe Lugger has made it most of the way around the world, but wouldn't be my choice of a craft for such a voyage... and would probably take some one with considerably better skills that you sound like you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-19-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Before you think about the boat, you have to think about yourself first.

Can you actually do it?? Mentally and physically??

Sailing skills to handle the boat, are easy to achieve in 2 months or less, if you practice, however mental skills, (and I mean mind control), are much, much harder, believe me.

Remember you must be prepared to spend at least 30 or more days at sea, alone, day and night, rain or shine.

I have a friend, that sailed solo from NY to Lisbon, in Europe, on a Swedish made 24' boat. (one of those designs whose cabin is also the deck, real ugly boat whose name I can't remember).

He sailed all his life and has sailed several times from Southern Europe to the North Sea prior to that, and cruised many many years.

He told me that he spent 28 days at sea, all the time with the wind from behind, and assured me that it was not easy.

From being sick several days non stop, (try to sail downwind for 8 hours and you will understand), to getting scared by tankers, whales, waves, half sunken containers, you name it.

What really made me write now, was what he told me, few days after he told me his adventure, and that struck me, as being impossible that something like that would have been said by a guy like him.

He actually contemplated jumping off the boat, on more than one occasion, always during the day, and couldn’t figure out why... he would just be looking at the sea, and suddenly feel the urge to jump, and that always seemed like a good thing then !!!!

He said his mind and spirit were abandoning him. What kept him on the boat was the photos of his family he hung on his tether and the fact that he would tie himself when he “felt funny” as he put it.

If you knew this guy, you would never believed his story.

So think about what you are getting into, then think about the boat….humans, by nature are not lonely animals.
Old 10-06-2010

PONTY is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb solo Atlantic xssing

Good morning.

I was not experienced particulary but did my first atlantic xssing from Capoverde to Barbados singlesailing, leaving Italy on last november, with no big problems. (Rome-Baleares-Gibraltair-Canary is. - Capoverde - Barbados-Trinidad))

If u like any more ideas tell me with a message to my mail-adresse. Shamrock @ mclink.it [no spaces]

one only suggestion: go on the biggest u may afford AND handle safely !! A 49 Hallberg Rassy like my PONTY is a perfect balance and easy to stear also with a not too big windvane, strong and confortable.

Ill go on december back to Trinidad to move her on the Carabbean...

federico
Old 10-06-2010

PONTY is on a distinguished road
... and .. like u may understand from many suggestions above, the caracter factor is much more important then the tecnical one ...... so about that I can give u some help if u wish.....

good wind

federico
Old 10-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Ponty...old thread mate....previous post 2006...no big deal but I doubt Op is still reading.

Hey..whats a Ponty ? Or did you mean that Ponty is an HR49 ? Great boats.

Edit...just noticed your post count...welcome to the forum.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-06-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Welcome to SN, PONTY.

Damn where the hell did find this thread? It is old.

I don't believe you can singlehanded to sail a 49 Hallberg Rassy . Let me join you in Trinidad this December. I need to see this in person

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-06-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
A case can be made for almost anything between a Folkboat and a Macgregor 65 but something around 35 to 40 feet is manageable.

Checkout this blog of a singlehanded crossing this year back to the UK in a steel Ebbtide 33. Sailing in conachair

BTW where do plan to land in Europe. The last bit of the W-E transatlantic can be high risk if it involves the traffic lanes around Northern France and the English Channel.