Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013

floatingPoint is on a distinguished road
whatsit?

Hi there my name is Douglas and I'm new to sailnet. I'm writing looking for some guidance as I select a new daysailer. I imagine that at least some of you understand how difficult this can be. No one boat can be all things at all times and there are so many ways a boat can be appealing that the combination of compromises one could make is mind numbing.

I happen to think that the older sloops just have wonderful lines. The overhanging ends, modest beam, performance oriented yachts appeal to me. There is one boat in particular which has caught my eye and it is a mystery to me.

The ad (cl los angeles) reads 1943 pedersen design Viking Sailboat 18ft Sloop HISTORICAL. I know a Viking Yachts, and they started by buying Peterson-Viking (New Jersey!). But that Viking is sport fishing.

The Viking line of sailboats are all plastic as far as I know and most of them are C&C?

Pederson is a Scandinavian name and at least one was a marine architect and did design boats but I get no further.

Also my eye might be way off, but is that sloop only 18 feet? If the add read 25 I wouldn't have thought anything odd looking at the photos.

So I guess all I really know is that she's pretty - and after all what else could we possibly want from a vessel which will be come our life support system for hours (if not days) at a time?

There's a lot you can tell from the photos: self tacking jib with a very simple set up (aleron express 28). Based on the aft leaning rudder shaft (shields) I'd say it was skeg mounted rudder. Which leads me to believe that this has a modified full keel (or so I was taught to call it, though some of the literature of the period described these keels as "fin").

So while much of the yacht is true to the type in the fifties, a pointed cabin top and a club foot should narrow this down.

There are more or less 5 photos attached. I have another photo - a montage, and one of the photos in the montage is also the last (black and white) photo from the ad. The other source does not put a LOA on the boat they only identify it as a "1943 Viking Daysailer".

I'd appreciate any help in learing what I can about this boat. I'd love a line drawing, capabilities etc. Sail area, displacement all that. Who built it?

Thanks for reading...
Douglas
Attached Thumbnails
whatsit?-add1.jpg   whatsit?-add2.jpg   whatsit?-add3.jpg   whatsit?-add4.jpg   whatsit?-add5.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: whatsit?

You'll learn a lot more by calling the ad poster and taking a look and asking the ad poster all of these questions. That's what I'd do if I were looking for a boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaduction For This Useful Post:
floatingPoint (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
You'll learn a lot more by calling the ad poster and taking a look and asking the ad poster all of these questions. That's what I'd do if I were looking for a boat.
Thanks! I appreciate that and of course I've reached out to the poster. But it was the poster who misidentified the boat in the first place? And the poster came by the boat in a bit of a round about way and I get the impression that if you asked for a sheet you'd get a comforter too
Old 12-28-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

You're right - she is pretty!

But a beautiful yacht is like a beautiful woman - she'll cost your fortune and break your heart ;-)

There are a lot of good threads on this site for inspecting a sailboat - and as this looks like a "woody" if work is needed in can get expensive fast. The photo indicates a 2011 CA reg, and so could be older photos not reflecting her current condition. When you visit her look carefully for the serial number/ID - should be permanently affixed somewhere, often the transom or in the v-berth. That should tell you the manufacturer and the year of manufacture.

Depending on your experience, you may want to ask a couple of sailor friends to come along with you ro check her out.

Finally - I assume you enjoy varnishing? Looks like a lot of brightwork. Not complaining - I love shiny wood - but be aware before you get into it that a lot of ongoing work will be needed to keep her looking pretty!
Old 12-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
You're right - she is pretty!

But a beautiful yacht is like a beautiful woman - she'll cost your fortune and break your heart ;-)

There are a lot of good threads on this site for inspecting a sailboat - and as this looks like a "woody" if work is needed in can get expensive fast. The photo indicates a 2011 CA reg, and so could be older photos not reflecting her current condition. When you visit her look carefully for the serial number/ID - should be permanently affixed somewhere, often the transom or in the v-berth. That should tell you the manufacturer and the year of manufacture.

[snip]
Hey Paul, great eye for the registration, thanks. I suspect from other angels the boat has been kicking around looking for a home. That explains a lot of the mystery and also deepens the concerns. But there's also reason to believe the boat was in fine condition a few years back and that in the intervening years the worst it has suffered is a want of use.

Tacking her in a breeze will tell me a lot and maybe that will be enough to end this madness. The biggest hurdle is to find someone who is competent to survey the boat. I'm smart enough to notice there's a problem when I step on something and it's soft or mushy.

That's the wood part. Another concern I have is that people modify their boats. It would be nice to see an original plan just to know that what I'm looking at is more or less the boat which was designed and built.

Douglas
Old 12-28-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

DrakeParagon has posted a series of detailed videos of interviews with the owners of the wooden boat "Southern Cross". I found the videos pretty cool and the owner is a real genius when it comes to his little upgrades. Anyway there is some detail about the reality of wooden boat ownership, both positive and negative. Thought you might find it useful, or at least entertaining.

Visiting Friends on Southern Cross (Dickerson 41 Sailboat)

Great alias by the way. Are you a programmer?
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argyle38 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
DrakeParagon has posted a series of detailed videos of interviews with the owners of the wooden boat "Southern Cross". I found the videos pretty cool and the owner is a real genius when it comes to his little upgrades. Anyway there is some detail about the reality of wooden boat ownership, both positive and negative. Thought you might find it useful, or at least entertaining.

[snip: the robot won't let me quote a hyperlink]

Great alias by the way. Are you a programmer?
In reverse order, yes I broke into programming with what4, a version of fortran. I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks for the tip on the video I am excited to watch it and benefit from first hand experience.

Douglas
Old 12-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Douglas. it's a wooden boat. It's not likely you will find the plans. You could, if you ARE serious Join the wooden boat forum and start a thread there. Lots of knowledge over there. I'm there.. same name too DeniseO30
anyway. If you don't know about wooden boat construction, how to maintain, repair ribs, planks, etc, Don't! buy it! I saw the ad and at $800.00 it's affordable but.. do not buy it again, if you don't get it out of the water and properly inspected. Another thing. if it is traditionally built hull.. you can't dry it out for repairs unless you plan to refasten and recaulk, paint and relaunch entire hull.

Viking Yachts Job and Employment Web Site there is a short history of what happened to peterson viking.. they are... no more.. unless you want a 40 ft+ yacht.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Listen to Denise. Nothing will kill a newbies sailing dreams quicker than an old wood boat.

If you want a long term woodworking project, buy it.

If you want to sail, get a cheap glass boat - you can get them anywhere from free on up. Lots of them look good too.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-28-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

That is a nice looking boat, but I would not worry about a survey. That small of a wood boat a survey would likely be a ten times more than you should pay for it. If you can't stick a screw driver into it, then offer the guy $50 bucks. But don't expect to ever sail it. It is a project you put in your back yard and tinker around with for 20 years, just to get away from the wife. If you want to sail, find something plastic! Unless it has some kind of providence wood boats unfortunately have essentially no value. even worse than fiberglass.

And the survey don't worry about it, get one just before insuring it in 20 years after you have rebuilt it. And I love wooden boats.

Tags
1943 viking daysailer

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.