Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009

maru657 is on a distinguished road
OK, definitive answer. I drilled a thruhole hear the waterline for a sanitary overboard fitting. The hull is as advertised. Solid fibreglass laminate, about 1". According to factory information it is laminated in one piece by means of a transverse rolling mold. She's not as fast as some boats, too heavy. However I've seen 7 knots heeled over on a downwind in southern Calif, waters. I've replaced the engine with a kubota 28 horse. At 2000rpm she cruises at 5.2 knots and at 2300rpm, 6 knots. Mine is cutter rigged, single mast and sails well to windward. She was a little too tender, ie; the boiler punch ballest. However, one day with a jack-drill I pulled a lot of that out and replaced it with lead ballest. Simple fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2009

ChrisF46 is on a distinguished road
The one thing Dreadnoughts have in common is that they are all different. Except for a couple of boats built on spec by the yard, they were custom built to the buyers' desires, and most were owner-completed to one extent or another. Some had balsa core, some not. A few were gaff-rigged. Some had the factory glass deck, some various shapes of plywood deck. Probably the most typical Dreadnought was balsa cored hull (IIRC, 1/2" of balsa with about 3/8" skins!!), glass deck (ply cored, I think), marconi cutter, punchings and resin ballast. How do I know? I was there in Carpenteria in 1974, building my own, which I still have. She's not tender, but she does hobbyhorse. The "substantially higher center of gravity" is not true, but the ballast was spread out too much fore & aft, to prevent it. Other than that, they're pretty decent sea boats.

Last edited by ChrisF46; 02-01-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2009

nagdog is on a distinguished road
Dreadnought Info

In addition to ChrisF46 "being there",for those who still question the info, please note that he is a Naval Architect who has worked for a world-class designer for many years. He is a very modest person.
Old 01-07-2013

moriahsailing is on a distinguished road
Re: Dreadnought 32

Hello; I am responding o inquires about a dreadnought 32. I have owned my Dreadnought for 24 years and it has been a good boat and have sailed her about 75,000 miles. Most on a 10 year circumnavigation. Boat was given an etra 500 lbs of ballast by the first owner. It took the space of the deep bilge which is a disadantage so a cycling bilge pump and separating the packing with it`s own separate chamber and pump solved that issue. Ketch rigged I found that by lightening the bow and running a 80 percent jib Moriah ran and beat to weather much better than originally. She was over pressed with a 110 percent very full cut jib. I only use it in very light air`s to 10 knotts running. In 20- 35 knotts running with a small jib and double refed main it is possible to run 135-175 miles per day. Across the Indian ocean from Cocos Keeling to Madagascar we averaged 145 per day. Small jib was the way to go. Far less motion and less work. Mizzen is great in light airs on tack to near broad reach. It is very full cut and 110 sq foot. Main is shorter than most but the lower sale plan is preferable. Storage everywhere. %-6 moths stores for 2 people plus spare parts. Use electric auto pilot. I removed the trim-tab after our first passage to the Marquesas as the was too much wetted area uon the rudder. I wore out 4 in 10 years but it was nice having the same brands for spare parts. Installed mast steps which I was happy to have in a calm or smooth seas. The spreader were a favorite perch at these times. Also to get a line that was lost and check the rigging they were indispesable. The down side was lines would get jammed once in a while. On the second engine the md 17c ram over 10,000 hours. Westerbeak does not look to be as good of engine but so far just minor issues after 3 + years.
Happy Saing Randy Short
S/V Moriah
Newport Beach, Ca

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.