SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Spindrift 46 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/11658-spindrift-46-a.html)

MGFraser 05-16-2005 05:46 AM

Spindrift 46

Does anyone know anything about this boat?
Build quality, sailing ability, supposedly it is similar to a Peterson 44/46.

Thanks.

damonswank 07-09-2008 12:44 AM

Spindrift 46

Spindrift Yachts, Newport Beach, CA, imported in the mid-1980s perhaps 30 of these fine boats. They were substantially identical. The equipment, layout, and specs were by Ron Hiller. The hull mold was similar if not identical to that used in the Kelly-Peterson 46.

The joinery and hardware were of high quality --much higher than the Peterson 44s, which had been heavily used in charter service -- but probably not up to the standards of the Kelly-Peterson 46.

Spindrift Yachts disappeared within a short time. Allegedly, someone took a number of deposits for new boats with him to Central or South America. It has been said, but not documented to my knowledge, that this rascal sent a picture of himself spending the money on a gorgeous beach and that, when the beach was identified, he was located and served time.

None of this detracts from the yacht, which sails, handles easily, is well-equipped and a fine passage-maker. I sailed mine from LA to Hawaii twice, and many other closer places as well, in the 15 years I owned it. My brother, who crewed on her many times, liked her so much he bought it from me and now has it in the SF Bay Area.

ds July 9, 2008

St Anna 03-14-2009 06:42 PM

We have a Hillier Peterson (you call them a spindrift) It has a different fitout (better in my view, in material, joinery and design) than the KP 46. Otherwise same handling characteristics. Of the 13 made, about 8 were imported into Australia and I know of 3 in Oz, 1 in Singapore. Another is for sale in the Caribbean.

damonswank 03-14-2009 10:16 PM

Spindrift 46'

Sounds like you are enjoying the boat.

ds

St Anna 03-15-2009 01:17 AM

So far so good. I have a few things on the list to work on. Is yours still in the family? What's her name?

boatbroke 01-10-2010 08:06 AM

Had a center cockpit Hilliers 28' that I sailed in England about 100 years ago - wrecked it off Bournmouth in a force 7. My stupidity alone not the boats construction. Now I see the boat you own in for sale in the C -what do you think of them? What to watch for?????

Simon

fhaynes 04-12-2010 03:01 PM

Spindrift 46

The wife and I own hull #6/13 and live aboard in Portland OR. We like just about everything about her save how wet the center cockpit is in a strong seaway. She was built 1984 and her original teak decks still don't leak.

St Anna 09-08-2010 03:57 AM

I have a few photos of our last trip on photobucket - look up saintanna

daviddupzyk 09-10-2010 11:16 PM

Very impressive boat with a really nice interior. It is a very good knock-off, but some caution might be prudent with this and other earlier taiwanese yards. I looked at one to purchase and my first big question right off the bat was why the side stays entered the boat through the center of the toe rail. could not find the chainplates anywhere inside the boat and wondered if they were glassed inside the hull? Never got to the survey, but chainplates on an older boat are very important items. like peterson 44's, take a close look at - tank quality, engine make, headsail chainplate, tack support for the staysail, weather helm and all the stuff that is hidden. best bet is to ask as many owners as you can find about the boat. i know of one in oxnard and another in san carlos. they both have good things to say about this boat. enjoy.

St Anna 09-11-2010 11:03 AM

Tjanks David D.
We have new engine, and tanks. The chainplates are not glasses in but behind a board in the dinette region. Not easy to get at, but doable.
We can get some weather helm, but I have a main/ genoa set up which minimises weather helm, unless I have reduced genoa and its a broad reach. The deck under the staysail plate is reinforced, but I so rarely use it, I leave it off.
Well spotted