Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Pearson 34 - Talk me out of it

Recent events have conspired to put me in the boat market.

This was not something I wanted.

The top dawg is currently Pearson 34-1; there are several in my area that are worth looking at.

The anticipated use is 80% day sailing out of Portsmouth, NH - 10% over nighting (away or at our mooring) - 10% cruising (week long trips to Casco Bay and such). It will, of course, be a party barge most summer nights after work.

Pearson 34 and Sabre 34 represent our ideal layout for cockpit and cabin.

First Q: Does the P34-1 (1983-86) have a cored hull? I know the 34-2 does; I believe the 34-1 does not.

If anyone with info on these boats could share with me that would be great.

Things to look for during the inspection...

Reasons to pick a different boat...

I know that the stock 16hp engine is too small for the Piscataqua River (second fastest current in the US) I'm only looking at P34s with the 23hp Yanmar or better. I've also learned to watch the tides very carefully.

Thanks in advance,

Ken (watch the signature below for upcoming changes!)

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2014
Load Bearing Member

Re: Pearson 34 - Talk me out of it

Isn't it wonderful how pressing the 'Post Reply' button helps you remember things you wanted to say?

What's the largest P34 owners forum? I should join and start bothering them.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the cored hull, but I would have a hard time talking anyone out of a Pearson. Even with a cored hull, Pearson does a good job with laminates so I would not worry unless the hull looked like it took a hit. Would turn up in a survey too. To me they are a great balance of quality and affordability and sounds great for your intended use. Seems to be in the same PHRF range of the Saber. (well if you are thinking MK I 43) I think there is likely less hidden behind very nice furniture than a Saber. In a similar price point I would think the Pearson would likely be in better shape. I really like the Sabers, but have heard some nightmare stories of bulkhead replacement and what not. Not that they go bad anymore than others, just that they are so well put together they are hard to get apart to fix. The Pearson 34 looks really nice, layout looks usable and the numbers look like it would be a nice sailor.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
CarbonSink62 (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Last time we were shopping we did look at some Pearsons, I seem to remember that there was a fair bit of 'arborite/formica' fake wood laminate used on bulkheads and panels.. it was kind of off-putting.

Another interesting thing I recall is the binnacle being at the front of the cockpit.. Not sure if that's true of all models or not, (I know it's not in the 36-2). While it seems to block the companionway access somewhat, it does get the helmsman out of the stern and behind the protection of the dodger!

Sorry, I don't recall the exact years/model we looked at.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-17-2014
Load Bearing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I seem to remember that there was a fair bit of 'arborite/formica' fake wood laminate used on bulkheads and panels.. it was kind of off-putting...

...the binnacle being at the front of the cockpit..
The P33 was thrown out of the competition for the formica panels.

The P30 and one other (I forget) lost out due to the binnacle issue. My brother's Bristol is the same way. It is where it belongs on the P34.

The P34 has the most inviting cockpit of everything we've looked at, and where do we spend the most time?

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Old 01-17-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
The P33 was thrown out of the competition for the formica panels.

The P30 and one other (I forget) lost out due to the binnacle issue. My brother's Bristol is the same way. It is where it belongs on the P34.

The P34 has the most inviting cockpit of everything we've looked at, and where do we spend the most time?
Well then it seems we are in accord!.. and so my attempts to dissuade you have failed dismally

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-17-2014

ereiss is on a distinguished road

Might get good Pearson info at:

Pearson - SailboatOwners.com

good luck, loved our P32-2, before we went to our Freedom 38.
Freedom F38 #154
out of Marion, MA
Old 01-17-2014

slax is on a distinguished road

I have a Pearson 33 #320 and love her. Definitely would have a hard time telling someone to not go with it if everything else is right.
Old 01-17-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Last time we were shopping we did look at some Pearsons, I seem to remember that there was a fair bit of 'arborite/formica' fake wood laminate used on bulkheads and panels.. it was kind of off-putting.

Another interesting thing I recall is the binnacle being at the front of the cockpit.. Not sure if that's true of all models or not, (I know it's not in the 36-2). While it seems to block the companionway access somewhat, it does get the helmsman out of the stern and behind the protection of the dodger!

Sorry, I don't recall the exact years/model we looked at.
Yea, they seemed to switch away in the very late 70's or early 80's and went with more teak veneer. Not that they are up to the standards of say a Saber, they became much nicer. I looked at a 10M that was very rough, an it had a bunch of different colors of mica. The head had white with yellow doors and the bulkheads were wood tone. And about as convincing a wood grain as a 1970's station wagon. But otherwise I liked the boat as it had a new motor and had a real reputation of good performance. The newer ones look really nice.
Old 01-17-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Pearson 34 of that vintage did not have a cored hull. The Saber is a nicer boat, but the P34 is very well built.

Watch for moisture in the hull near the lifeline gates. Also check that the bladder holding tank has been replaced, or updated.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
CarbonSink62 (01-18-2014)