Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005

jemsea is on a distinguished road
Vetus Diesels??

Hello,

We are looking at a boat that has recently been re powered with a Vetus M4.17 motor. Its a 42 hp on about a 21,000 lb boat.

I am unfamiliar with Vetus. I googled the name and found that they are a Misubishi engine marinized by Vetus. It also looks like West Marine is a source for them.

Does anyone have experience with these diesels?

Any reservations out there?

Parts going to be a problem?

Any answers to questions I didn''t think to ask?

Thanks for the info,

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Vetus Diesels??

John, this is a reply to your email (in turn, a reply to my observations concerning the Amazon 37 you are looking at); offering the reply here is just easier since the clock is, yet again, ticking at this cyberhut.

I´m not sure how you come to the tentative conclusion that you probably won´t face some of the issues in the Amazon 37´s Vetus diesel that have been mentioned elsewhere, Particularly given your open-ended plans (building skills with the hopes of extended cruising) both the build quality issues AND the limited parts supply chain are likely to be relevant to you.

Two suggestions for you in this regard: First, consider seeking a strong UK Vetus dealer who carries viable quantities of parts for your Vetus model and is provides regular overseas delivery for customers. This will match your native language and the internet with a vendor better equipped than apparently the U.S. distributor is. Second, have an engine survey done as part of the pre-purchase inspection phase. Pay by the hour (vs. a flat rate) and pick a mechanic with experience with these EU blocks and their marinized components. Altho´this may sound a bit extreme, repowering is about a $15K step and so a good engine survey is cheap insurance.

Jack
Old 06-27-2005

jemsea is on a distinguished road
Vetus Diesels??

Jack,

While I saw an opportunity in buying a steel boat like the Amazon I''m glad I sought other opinions. Everyone I asked started having misgivings as soon as I got out the ''1985 and steel'' words.

I concluded that the newer engine may be the least of my problems. Rethinking that I see where a ''small'' diesel engine problem can outweigh many other system''s ''large'' problems.

Good thing we have a year planned for boat shopping. My imagination gets going and I start to look at a boat thinking what it could be instead of what it is.

Being able to get an informed opinion from an uninvolved source is a great tool!!

Thanks Again,

John