Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2001

agezik is on a distinguished road
Liveabords in Maryland

I''m seeking information on people who live on their boats year round in Maryland. I''ve heard that many Marinas do not allow it.

Does anyone have any marina recommendations in Baltimore, Annapolis, or the Eastern Shore that would welcome live aboards?

Thanks in Advance

Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2001

carolwriter is on a distinguished road
Liveabords in Maryland

Hi

I just discovered this site a few days ago, and I ran across your post. There''s a marina in Baltimore called Anchorage Marina that I know takes live-aboards. I have friends that stay there on their boat from about May until it gets too chilly for them. It''s a beautiful marina with reasonable prices...and it''s HUGE!!!

Also check out Mears Marina in Annapolis and Mears Point in Kent Narrows, both very beautiful marinas which welcome live-aboards.

Mears in Annapolis is a little congested but you''re right in the midst of Annapolis and near the Naval Academy.

Welcome to Maryland
Old 05-05-2001

arundel is on a distinguished road
Liveabords in Maryland

Hi: Try Bert Jabin''s Yacht Yard in Annapolis as well. They allow liveaboards also.
Old 05-24-2001

dustinb is on a distinguished road
Liveabords in Maryland

I am also interested in liveaboard Marinas (as well as a good boat) in Maryland (specifically Annapolis). So far I have found that Bert Jabin''s has decent rates at $4000 a year. Does anyone know if it is possible to liveaboard in the winter out there?
Old 05-29-2001

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Liveabords in Maryland

You can live aboard and freeze to death but if your really serious look into offshore housing for the winter months as rates and availability are lowest.The Chesapeake is not a very kind place in the winter and solitude had better be you goal. Mike
Old 05-30-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Liveabords in Maryland

When we were a family of three, we lived aboard for 3 years, full time, at Mears Marina on Back Creek (the ''back door'' to Annapolis). Comments about ''freezing to death'' reflect inadequate heating capability on a boat, not a general inability to be comfortable year-round in that climate. Just like liveaboards in the Northwest, a serious diesel-fired heating source is recommended (forget about AC space heaters, especially when the dock power goes out!) but a forced air system (Espar e.g.) will handle the weather just fine.

I''d recommend against the Back Creek marinas mentioned (Bert Jabins, Port Annapolis, Mears, etc.) if only because of the general setting these days. Mears was/is a great marina (with complimentary Yacht Club membership included) and walking distance to downtown Annapolis is as good as it gets when living aboard. But the creek is cheek to jowl with boats; living there would feel like camping on the freeway median, to me. You also buy into Annapolis/Eastport traffic, which is intense and relentless at its best.

Deale and other small communities further south on the Western Shore provide commuting access to the DC work settings, offer the ambiance of living aboard on the Bay as it can be, and provide pretty, back road drives into Annapolis on the weekends.

Jack