Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2005

Anjing is on a distinguished road
Irwin 37 Center Cockpit, Cutter

What could anyone tell me about an Irwin CC, Cutter? We are considering the purchase of one, and want to know about what to look out for in an 81, that some of you may have experienced. Also, I am curious as to why Irwin''s as heavy and comfortable as they are, are more reasonably priced than many others. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Irwins, especially from that era, had a very poor reputation both from a build quality and from a sailing ability standpoint. The build quality issues were very widespread. Engineering tended to be pretty poor and the glasswork was nothing to write home about. 1981 was the heart of the worst period for blisters.

From a sailing ability standpoint these were over weight, high drag boats with a small inefficient sail plan and minimal ballast.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 06-27-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Paul, I´ll second Jeff´s observations. We´ve seen 3 generations of Irwin 37´s in the Caribbean so they obviously can be made to cruise regionally. OTOH owners are mostly trying to maximize space and features (aka: systems) for dollar spent, rather than spending their money on performance, seaworthiness or structural engineering.

The boats were built in the same era-area as Morgans, Endeavors, Gulfstars and some smaller builders, the work forces would oscillate between builders for one reason or another, and Ted Irwin´s company never seemed to get as good a product out the door as the other builders...which isn´t saying a lot.

Of course, none of this may matter to you, depending on what your intended uses are. Ít´s always helpful if posts like yours could clarify in detail how you plan to use the boat.

Jack
Old 06-28-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

I have seen a sistership of this boat and will echo what the other posts have said. I had an older Irwin, which was better built, but certainly not an off shore yacht.

The important thing is to understand what you intend to use the boat for. If you are going to cruise the world this is the wrong boat. If you are coastal cruising, and the price is good, this may be your boat.