Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
51 Formosa

I just got back and saw your question. I am afraid that I do not have the time to give you a detailed answer during my lunch break but in a general sense there are several general points that I think are relevant to your question and boat search.

To begin with, when you talk about a 50-60 footer, you are talking about a very big boat and then you are looking at boats like the Formosa 51 and Ct54 that are boats that cram an especially huge amount of displacement and accomodations into a their sailing length and whose actual length in terms of renting a slip, or needing room to manuever or tie up will be closer to 60-62 feet with their bowprits and davits.

When you look for a boat of this general length, no less sheer size size of these these two, that are priced within your budget there are bound to be compromises. Even older and mediocre condition reasonable quality boats in your size range would tend to cost considerably more than your budget.

Something like a Whitby Brewer 55, Pearson 530, or Tayana 52 or 55, which all would be good posibilities in many ways, in decent shape will still be well over your price range, and given the size of these boats, one at a price any where near you price range would require a large amount to refit for the kind of passage making that you have had in mind.

Because of that, you are effectively looking for a boat that for one reason or another is priced below its general worth for reasons other than poor design, or build quality, or dismal condition. An example of that may be something like this Aeromarine (I don''t know enough about the boat to know why it is priced as it is): http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=quick&boat_id=1405822 &units=Feet¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=37868& url=

Or this Custom Swedish boat (again I don''t know why it is priced as it is but suspect that its deep draft is a major reason).

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=quick&boat_id=1346294 &units=Feet¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=3584&u rl=

There are boats like the Gulfstar 55''s that are pretty inexpensive and readily available but would probably require a major refit to do the kind of voyaging in you have in mind.

Last time that we talked about a distance cruiser, I had strongly recommended that you try to find a well found Peterson 46 without teak decks or a Brewer 12.8 in good sound shape. These are way smaller than the boats that you have been considering of late but probably better suited.

I think that the boat that I own is pretty much irrelevant to your search. For what it si worth, I own a Farr 11.6 (Farr 39). Doing a cut and paste of an earlier post I descrived her as:

" The Farr 11.6 (Farr 38) were built as cruiser/racers and in their day they were extremely fast compared to other 38 footers that could be cruised. Compared to cruiser/racers of that era, they were very light. With a design weight of only 10,600 lbs., they were 2/3 of the weight of a normal 38 foot coastal cruiser of that era. In some ways these were boats with a split personality. Sisterships of my boat are distance cruising all over the world. My boat, for example, was single-handed in from South Africa on her own bottom. Yet, when these were new boats, Farr 11.6’s were also winning races in a wide range of venues.

My boat was designed at an interesting point in Bruce Farr''s and yacht design history. Farr, like many top designers, had been designing race boats to compete under the IOR racing rule and had done so quite successfully. But in the early 1980''s designers and racers were becoming disillusioned with boats optimized for the IOR rule. These early 80’s IOR boats were comparably slow, tender and difficult to sail especially in heavy conditions or with short crews. Designers began designing large one-design, offshore capable, keel-boats that were designed to be more well rounded designs and which were not specifically optimized to any racing rule. For example this is the era that saw the introduction of boats like J-36/35, Express 37 and Santana 36. Into that climate, Bruce Farr designed the Farr 11.6. The boat was a big hit in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa with well over a 125 of these boats built worldwide.

In a lot of ways she was also a typical family cruiser built for use in New Zealand. The New Zealanders have a culture of cruising carefully engineered, very light weight boats. During this era Bruce Farr designed a whole range of very fast cruising boats similar in concept to the 11.6 but ranging from 21 feet up to 60 footers. Even in the early 1980''s, these fast cruisers offered a lot of carrying capacity for their dry weight, had surprisingly comfortable motions and were quite stabile as compared to the light boats that we knew at that time in the northern hemisphere.

The engineering on my boat is amazing. The 11.6 has a comparatively thin skin supported on closely spaced framing. The boat has a series of closely spaced, hand glassed longitudinal stringers that run the length of the boat and terminate at a squash block at the bow knuckle. Depending on where you are in the boat, there are transverse framing or a structural bulkhead every 20” to 30”, The framing around the keel area consists of massive glassed in transverse frames. These are incredible stiff and sturdy boats that really seem to stand up to a lot of abuse.

Today she is pretty slow when compared to modern race boats. But she was the last of the last generation of boats that could be raced or cruised in a wide range of conditions. She is remarkably easy to handle single-handed and in a breeze. She points well for a cruising boat and is very fast in a wide range of conditions. Although light in weight, her hull form and weight distribution makes the Farr 11.6 surprising comfortable in rough going."

In any event, sandwich done and work beckoning....Good luck,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.