Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Elan 43?

SailorMitch,

I am sure that Denr will make the best use of that money, especially since you are getting ready to join him for a sail trip...make sure that he spends some of that 9 mil on food and drink during the time you are on board!

What''s left over make mention that he can send my way...I have huddled masses in NC also that would love a few thousand. And yes, I too know of a grand boat that needs me aboard.

kokopuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2005
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Elan 43?

Kokopuff,

Alas, my trip to the Windy City was cancelled for next week, so the Coast Guard can cancel there Notice to Mariners for all boaters to keep special watch on Lake Michi Gami for this coming Sunday. Captain Denr has a free day to make plans to divy up the $9.8 mil -- or whatever is left after his handling fee. I do hope he sends all his banking info and social security number to Mrs. John ASAP to get the ball rolling. I''m awaiting a call back from Tom Morris any minute now on that sweet 45 footer on some options to price out so I can''t wait for my cut of that $9.8!

Hope you''re doing well down there in Tar Heel country. It''s hotter than blazes up here in Chesapeake Country!
Old 08-05-2005
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Elan 43?

I sent your boss a piece of my mind, don''t think you''ll have problems getting time off in the future, you might even consider a circumnavigation, yes I got you that much time off!
Old 08-05-2005

mattypb15 is on a distinguished road
Elan 43?

I think we can drop the "419" scam thread now! Bakc to the Elan 43 discussion...

Thanks h20ski, twofer, WHOOSH & Jeff_H for your responses. It''s interesting to know about the Slovak connection!

I''ve not made a decision as yet, I''ve got a year or so before I make a purchase.But I will now do some more research, thanks for poining that out Whoosh.

I''ve found another thread on this message board where someone mentions this boat is poor in rough weather. Can anyone elaborate on that? What I''m really saying is does anyone have an any opinions on the following: "Can the boat be modified to be bluewater "friendly"?"
Old 08-06-2005

shmangasarian is on a distinguished road
Elan 43?

Matty, considering the sheer number of boats available out there for sale in all shapes, sizes and price-ranges one has to wonder why you (or anyone) would want to attempt to modify a boat designed for one purpose to another? I know this concept has been discussed at length on this board, and there have been a myriad of recommendations for "blue water friendly" boats by others much more qualified than I. I''m just curious, is the price (or whatever) so attractive that it is worth the time and money spent on modification.
Old 08-08-2005

Elan 43?

You make a good point. It boils down to money to be honest. The Elan''s 2nd hand value for money is very good!

Ok, so can anyone suggest other _reasonably_ prices blue water capable boats?
Old 08-26-2005

bluewater_ny is on a distinguished road
Elan 43?

Hello,
I''ve sailed a Elan43 in Denmark, that was back in ''92. This was a charter boat, build in 86 I believe. I remember this boat as being very spacious, but also pretty sparsely equipped, talking about dimensions of the rigging and the running parts. Looked like money was saved by cutting down on the price & dimensions of some vital parts. We had some issues with it, too: The first thing what happened was that the rudder mechanism broke, as a matter of fact just outside the marina. Luckily we somehow made it back and got it fixed. Other than that, the boat behaved reasonably well in the choppy waters of the Kattegat in northern Denmark, but we had some issues with leaky windows for example. Boat speed was not very good compared to other boats that size. Given that most of these boats have probably been used in chartering, I would think very hard before I would buy one and take it out on the ocean.
Regards
Paul
Old 08-26-2005

garyp is on a distinguished road
Elan 43?

Kokopelli, were you just parked on the Washington NC waterfront? If so, you have a beautiful little ship.
Best wishes,
Gary P and the sloop Dragonfly
Old 08-29-2005

Elan 43?

Thanks all for advice.

After much more research I decided to look for a 78-82 Tartan 37. Any comments?

Regards
Old 10-05-2009

DavebytheSea is on a distinguished road
Elan 43

I've had one for 20 years - and I LOVE her!

We have sailed many thousands of miles together and she is one of the family. I'm happy to talk at length - even phone if you want. You maycontact me directly at my email

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.