Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
nows the time

There are some good post here, and I have a few ideas. Right now there are a number of good sailboats for sale in Florida. Consider that to find one''s way to the Virgin Islands, and points beyond, Its a great place to "jump'' from. Acting now is a good thing. Owners are anxious to sell with the hurricane season first, but also by the time you survey, take a test ride out on the ocean, do paper work, and then add your personal touch, fill the boat up with food and toys, the season will be upon us! I bought Brigadoon in Annapolis- good place but it took a LONG time to get it to Florida, and take off for the Bahamams and beyond. The big market in Florida is power boats, BIG ones, and fishing boats. 90% of the marina Brigadoon is in, is full of funny looking gas guzzling powerboats. Regardless, its not even 24 hours to the Bahamas. imagine. Well I did, and I went. Its great!
So instead of just talking about it, go to Florida, check out the boats for sale there, go to West Marine, look at their charts, and plot your course. Jet Blue flies to Ft Lauderdale, the bus is 1.00 which is cheep and you can see enough sailboats to make a decision.
To sail to the Bahamas is not difficult, just make sure the boat is in good shape and the weather is going to be alright for a couple of days.
From points north:
If you think you are going to go the "I-65" from the mid atlantic fine but its a different ball game and lots of days- and nights at sea. THATS a big thing! you will connect with florida sailors on your way, but their stories will not be as exciting as yours.
If my luck is with me, Brigadoon, a passport 40 will still be with me, and we shall sail out of Ft Lauderdale the first week of January 2006, weather permitting some time in the afternoon to enjoy an evening crossing. Its a sail boat and thats what we are going to do- sail, not a panic get across sprint! Once there, a swim and map plans to continue. Other boats are welcome to sail along with and that would be wonderful.
Meanwhile fellow cruisers I met on the way to the Turks and Cacos two years ago are headed north from South America- point being, its all worth while friends last forever!
Brigadoon is for sale, sadly it is, but me or you, she is headed for a great winter in the islands!
Nothing ever has fufilled me such as sailing. Never did I imagine Brigadoon would be so kind and forgiving, and at the same time take care of me with power and stability. I love my country and when I came home, I raced a boat up the channel and beat it. what a crazy way to end a cruise!
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook