Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Looking at Sailboats

Hello Everyone my name is Solon and I'm looking to buy a used sailboat. I only want to buy once so I'm looking at buying a 36' 45'. I wanting to sail around the world, but its only a dream for now. I was in a very bad car wreck 2 years ago and didn't walk for a over year. But I'm all well now and just a small limp in the mornings, but at 46 years old I guess everyone does. From the wreck I was in I have the funds to buy a nice sailboat from the settlement. Im very new to sailing, but I was raise on motorboats and fishing boats so I do know for sure I love boating and love the blue water.
What I'm wanting to know is should I buy a boat that needs some fixing up or should I go for one ready to go. I can spent up $75,000.00 I would like a boat with room to have friends or will hold lots of extra things I will need for long trips. Also can one person sail a boat that size by their self? How much fuel can a 75hp used in a hour?
I would like some Ideas of what all I should look for in a sailboat. And what I will need take extra for a long trip I know I want a Automatic Identification System, water changer, GPS and Autopilot. Also how do you go about planning a 6 months to a year trip? How much money will I need. I was thinking for fuel and food maybe $500 to $1000 a month?? I will be very thankful for any help you may give..Please forgive my typing I'm a hunt a letter then peck a letter typer.....Thanks Solon
Markwesti likes this.

Last edited by Faster; 02-01-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: font/bold correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking at Sailboats

Welcome to the forum..

I'd suggest it's a bit early for some of your questions.. by all means shop for a boat but you're not going to accomplish all this in a very short time.

Browse the forums here - lots to learn here, both about boats, budgets, cruising costs, all of this is covered in existing threads, so there's not really a need to hash it all out again here.

I'm sure you're aware that you're 'biting off a big chunk' at this point, so no need to rush into it. Best of luck, glad to hear you've recovered from your ordeal OK.
jameswilson29 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-02-2014)
Old 02-01-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Solon,

Welcome to SailNet.

Do you know how to sail?
T37Chef and bobperry like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-02-2014)
Old 02-01-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Start by reading Don Casey's "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual", then buy a small weekender/keelboat with a tiller, like a Catalina 22 or J/24. After a few years of study, work and practice, you will know whether your current plans are appropriate and appealing to you.
Faster and rugosa like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jameswilson29 For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-02-2014)
Old 02-01-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I'll even go one step smaller than James's suggestion - go with a 14-18' dinghy. You can pick one up for a couple hundred dollars on Craigslist in many parts of the country. Take a summer and learn to sail on that. Beat the heck out of it, and put only as much money into it as you need to to sail safely. That won't teach you what it will be like to live aboard (most in that range don't have real cabins, though you CAN find some with room for one), but it WILL teach you the basics of sailing, and give you a chance to really see if sailing is for you. I grew up on powerboats from about age 10-20, and I can tell you that sailing is very different than having a powerboat. Rather than jumping in with both feet only to learn that you have a $50,000-$75,000 albatross to sell, a "disposable" dinghy makes a lot of sense. Perhaps something like this:
Sailboat with Trailer

Of course, you could also go with something like this:
1973 O'Day 27 with 9.9 Johnson

I have no affiliation with any of the sellers, just did a quick Craigslist search.
1975 Albacore 15

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with your basic idea. Similar threads are posted here on a regular basis. There is a BIG difference between a 36 ft boat and 45 ft one. EG on a 36 ft you can recover the anchor by hand even on all chain rode. On the 45 ft one you most likely can't you have to have a windlass.

If you have common sense you can learn enough about basic sail handling to sail in a few days with someone to show you the ropes. However boat handling in confined spaces like a typical marina is not so easily learned and mistakes will be costly.

At 36 ft your budget of 75k will enable you to buy a near turnkey boat.

A Cabo Rico 38ft cutter would be a good tough boat to single hand around the world.

Something like this CLICKY OOPS just noticed it has teak decks which have NO PLACE on a long term cruising boat.

Last edited by TQA; 02-02-2014 at 09:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TQA For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Looking at Sailboats

Seems like everyone is saying I should wait and get a smaller boat 1st. So I guess I will hold off on buying a big boat for now unless I come across a really good deal on one. I just have the sailing fever so bad right now. I have fell in love with thought of just sailing away and not looking back. But I do need to learn a lot before I take off in a sailboat and change my whole life.
I live in Nashville Tennessee and not much sailing goes on here lol. I was thinking if I did buy a large boat 38' to 42' . I could get get someone to teach me to sail it. While I lived on it. I didn't think I would need years of training. Iv been reading the wrongs things I guess. I was hoping in 2 to 4 months I would know how to sail and could take off.
I guess for now I'm looking for a sailboat in the 20' range. This site has been so helpful and I enjoy all the good reading on here. I just see all the nice looking boats for sail and they seem so cheap for what your getting.
After being in the car wreck Iv changed my whole outlook on life. I just want spend the rest of life being happy. Watching the videos on youtube on sailing has made me want the life.
Having a sailboat that can take you anywhere in the world just seems so right. I'v always been the type of person who hates waiting on anything, but when it comes learning to do something that may save your life I will. Thanks for all the advice and hope for more. If anyone can think of anything else I should know or do please do....thanks Solon

Last edited by DRFerron; 02-02-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Removed bold font
Old 02-02-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Learning the basics of sailing isn't rocket science and can be done fairly quickly.
What takes a lot of time is experience. Knowing what to do when you are in the middle of the ocean and the s..t hits the fan, separates the boys from the men or in this case, the newbies from experienced sailors.
Solon (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Solon,

I am staying about an hour north in Clarksville. When I was looking around for a marina, I stopped by a couple down on Percy Priest. There seems to be a little sailing down there. See if you can find someone at Hamilton Creek Marina, that's primarily sailing. There's also Nashville Shores Marina and Elm Hill Marina that have some sailing. I didn't stop by Elm Hill but I did stop by the other two and they're all on the North end of the lake, near the airport. I'm not sure of other marinas, like on Old Hickory lake but I do know there are others. You might be able to find someone who could take you out and show you a few things.

I ended up putting my boat an hour in the other direction from me up by Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhapsody-NS27 For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

sailboatdata.com
sailboat listings
lovely sites to browse.
I don't own a boat, I am only learning.
welcome aboard, read learn get all your ducks in a row.
Solon (02-02-2014)