Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005

OCD is on a distinguished road
must have boat!

I have become obsessed. I began sailing this summer on a junker Sunfish and got hooked. I''m about to complete a sailing course and I''m looking for a boat with a bit more room for next season. There are 4 sailors (1 experienced) in the family and a couple of potential passengers. I''m looking for a (used) boat that...

Could be handled by one person but could comfortably accommodate 4 (or more) on day sails.
Could be moored. This boat will not be trailered - It would live on mooring and be brought out for the winter.
It should be reasonably fast/fun.
Would be sailed in bays/protected waters (Gardiners Bay, Long Island, NY)
Price Range - 3k-6k. More is possible but this is sort of a test for the family so I''d like to keep the cost down.

I would really appreciate any suggestions/advice people might have on specific boats that would be suitable for consideration.

Thanks - peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
must have boat!

Catalina 27
Old 10-06-2005
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
must have boat!

Macgregor 26, the best!
Old 10-06-2005
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
must have boat!

Pearson Ensign 23 is a fast & fun day sailer.

Still a few nice ones around . . . however, due to their age, most are fixer-uppers.
Old 10-06-2005

paulk is on a distinguished road
must have boat!

Ensign would be good for family outings. It''s a dependable boat that won''t cost much to keep running (unless it becomes completely worn out, and falls apart.) The cockpit is pretty comfortable, there''s a cuddy to keep things dry, and it doesn''t draw much, so you could exlpore a good bit of Gardiner''s Bay and Shelter Island. Another boat that might be more fun to sail would be a J/24. It''s cockpit isn''t as comfortable, but the deck is good for lounging, and there are berths down below for perhaps weekending over to New London or Mystic. It draws a little more than the Ensign, but can be a blast to sail. J/24''s in your price range will be pretty tired, but should still hold together well enough. There will probably be lots of sails if the boat''s been raced. Have ANY boat you''re thinking about purchasing surveyed to make sure it''s a reasonable investment, first. (You don''t want to find out the keel''s about to come off the day after you sign the paperwork!) Have fun!
Old 10-06-2005

me262 is on a distinguished road
must have boat!

For the amount of $$$$ you are willing to spend, you can find a really nice boat maybe up to 26'' or so. There''s a lot to be said for trailer sailors: No slip fees, easy to move and work on...etc..

I''d say to walk the docks and check the classified ads. There''s a lot of boats out there to be had for the cheap $$$$.
Old 10-07-2005

must have boat!

I will make enemies with this post, but as a sailor of 30 years here goes:

Do not go with a McGregor. Yes, they float...yes they even sail....but they are not real sailboats. Buy one and know that every time you talk to a real sailor they will be thinking you don''t know what you are doing. This is NOT a case of racist boatism.

Compare the rigging of a M26 to a Catalina or a Cape Dory, or any real sailboat and that should be enough.

I used to own an Irwin - not known for their quality - but this boat was so far beyond the m26......

If you want to be a part of the sailing community, get a real sailboat.

Should I tell people how I really feel?

This board needs a shot of controversy before it closes down.
Old 10-08-2005

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
must have boat!

take up bowling instead.it too is fun for the whole family and if someone has to go...... well you know,bowling alleys usually have large accomodating facilities,you will never loose anything overboard,and there are no insurance requirements.there is no need for bottom paint on a bowling ball,and you can go bowling vitually all over the world.somtimes i regret never taking it up .I took up skydiving instead....hmmm... lets see maybe on the next rainy day....
Old 10-12-2005

OCD is on a distinguished road
must have boat!

All,

Thanks for the advise. I don''t want to bore people with the details of family politics but there are reasons to keep this boat on the small side and as easy to maintain as possible.
Also, I''m comfortable sailing but I''m also definitely on the steeper part of the learning curve - I''ve often read that learning on a dinghy is preferable. This boat I''m looking for would probably be an intermediary step.
Perhaps someone has an opinion on this and on some boats that I''ve looked at ie. Wayfarer, Flying Scot, Rhodes 19.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2005

must have boat!

I am not familiar with the Wayfarer.

The Scot is a good boat - my father owned hull #3 when I was a kid.

The Rhodes 19 and the O''Day Mariner, I believe are the same basic boat and I have heard good stuff about that boat. Some Rhodes 19 are centerboard and some are keel. I would expect the keel boat to be more stable, but I have never sailed these boats which do have an excellent reputation.

One thing to remember when dealing with family politics is the wife. If she is one who will not like the boat being "tippy" then you might be better to go a little bigger and more stable boat. If "tippiness" will be a problem then go with a keel boat.