considering ''33 pearson w/water damage to t settee bottom. Cause? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2005

faithab is on a distinguished road
considering ''''33 pearson w/water damage to t settee bottom. Cause?

We are devoted Pearson sailors. Presently we have a 36-Mark 2, tri cabin which we''ve loved for 15 years. However, after 8 years here in St. Pete Harbor are tired of having so few anchorages that our 6''6" draft can go. So I went to see a Pearson 33, 1985. It has all sort of nice aditions BUT there was water damage at the bottom 3" of the teak panels both in front of the icebox/nav station and on the lower/base part of the setee that backs up to the sink of the galley. A small portion of the sole in front of that below/settee panel was damaged too, about 3"" out from base. And I mean damaged. Like dry rot. The rest of the sole is fine so, clearly, this is not a case of standing water in the cabin

The owner said he did not know how it happened but figured it was condensation on the ice box and the water tank which, he says was in the aft portion of the L shaped settee, backing up to the galley.

We have one friend who has a 33 and says he''s never had this.

What do you think might have caused this? Anyone else had such a problem.

I am leary for I fear that if he ignored this, what else did the owner ignore. But if it is fixable we might be able to offer a very low price and get a boat which is a "baby" version of ours but can go way back into the bayous. No more "bumping!"

I certainly would apprecaite your advice. Thank you in advance. Faith
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2005

locrian13 is on a distinguished road

I don''t know what may have caused this. I suppose the condensation explanation may be valid, but I''d be more inclined to think there was a leak in the ice box drainage system or in a hose somewhere. If that''s the case, it should be pretty easily fixed.

I have a Pearson 35, and I''ve found the website helpful. Check out www.pearson35.com. There are details and pictures on projects people have done, as well as message boards. You can post the question there and someone may have some insight. Even though the boat you''re looking at isn''t a 35'', this sounds like a fairly general problem--not something that would necessarily be particular to the 33''.

What does the 33'' draw? My 35'' has a retractable center board--with it down we draw 7''6", and with it up we draw 3''9". It''s nice to be able to get into shallower areas!

Good luck to you.
Old 11-07-2005

ptlarry is on a distinguished road

If the boat you are looking at is keel/centerboard, thw bilge is very shallow and when the boat heels water can come out of the bildge and soak this area. I solved this problem by installing a dripless packing seal and making sure to dry the bildge before I go out. Another problem to look at is the port over the nav station.I currently have a very nice 33 listed at acys.com if you are interested.
Old 11-09-2005

faithab is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your responses. You''ve given me much to think about. Do you every have a problem with the 33 only having an 18 HP engine. Also do you feel it would be possible to put on a self tacking jib track? Thanks, Faith
Old 11-10-2005

chuck711 is on a distinguished road

In referance to your 18 hp engine. The only problem and it could be a serious one being underpowered. My ideal choice would be a 27hp.
We have had trouble getting out to sea with underpowered yachts.We just returned to the USA ( down to Trindad )after being out on a Cal 33 1988 with a 27hp diesel for 2 years and it was ok.
Old 11-10-2005

ptlarry is on a distinguished road

The 18hp motor my be slightly underpowered in a strong headwind but it did just fine for me here on the Chesapeake. I know of people who have repowered with 3gm yanmar but they say the fit is very tight.