Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2001

dogboater is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

And I know of a 30'' Nonsuch that lost it''s mast just off Key Largo. Guess they aren''t bluewater boats either! IMO the thing that makes Geminis not good bluewater boats is displacement. They displace about 7000 lb., half of what a 32'' mono weighs. They cannot be loaded up the same. 1500 lbs of cruising stuff makes a much bigger difference in both safety and speed to the cat than to the monohull. There are heavier, slower cats in the 30 foot range that are bluewater cruisers, 3000 & 3200 Geminis just aren''t. As for the motion, that''s a function of weight as well. Geminis only draw 18" so they do bob around on top of the water rather than plow through it. Definately a different, quicker motion.
I''ve said enough, Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2001

gto2 is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

i am considering a 1986 prout quest cs 33'' for use as an offshore cruiser going from florida down the thornless path as far as
costa rica. any comments on this craft?
displacement is 9520 lbs.
have never owned a multihull.
Old 06-08-2001

henryvand is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

A couple from Canada did a round the world trip on a cat and wrote a book called Sailing Promise - the author is Elaine Mayne - not sure about the spelling - if you can find the book it is a good read.
Old 06-08-2001

tlyons is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

Try going here: http://www.geminigems.hispeed.com/
and getting on the listserver. Better yet, subscribe to the newsletter and get access to the back issues online. It''ll give you real input from people actually cruising on Gemini''s.

I just bought an almost new Gemini 105 after years of sailing monohulls and am *very* pleased with the performance. Its quicker, smoother, much roomier, is way more protected in bad weather and my regular guests all comment on how much less tiring the non-heeling ride is. Downsides? docking it is like parking a Winnebago, and its loud underway at speeds greater than 8kts(centerboards bumping, waves slapping the shallow hulls, turbulence.) Of course, remember thats for speeds over 8kts I''m talking about.
Old 06-09-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

To gto2 about your trip down the Thorny (not Thornless) Path, it''s a voyage apparently all production cat boats can make because I think we''ve seen at least one of every kind along the way. (You mention your destination as Costa Rica, but that''s in the other direction; guess you''re also planning a westward leg). BUT reread Jeff''s comments about cruising multi''s in this thread. EVERY one of his notes about their pitfalls has been repeated to us by multi owners making that passage.

Also, the single biggest self-admitted mistake Cat sailors described to us was overloading their boats. One Dr. thought he should have 1 or 2 of everything on his Gemini - just to go to Georgetown in the Bahamas, mind you - and the boat performed so badly they were forced to take routes they didn''t intend simply because of the boat''s inability to do what it should have been capable of. They''re now uninstalling gear. A Lagoon 40 I mentioned above started for Trinidad 1.5 years ago and couldn''t get past the Bahamas because they''d loaded the boat up too much for adequate performance. (And this is a BIG cat...). They returned to Florida, changed their approach to gear & stores, and have now made a successful passage down there - but while still grumbling about the boat''s inability to go into seas, even carefully loaded.

I think this ''loading'' issue can seem counter-intuitive since cats have so much volume and therefore offer so much stowage space. It also explains why the Brits built some cats that were so heavy and performed like monohulls; they were intended to be cruised without the sparkling performance that later multis - light displacement, racing types - began achieving.

To Max, I remember we had the exact same worry about our young son rolling around and ending up under a pillow...and this was on a little 27'' Vega. But the reality was different. Babies can be ''chocked in place'' enough that this can''t happen - especially on a cat. When they''re old enough to overcome the ''chocks'', they''re old enoug to get themselves out from underneath a pillow/bag/etc. IME.

Jack
Old 06-14-2001

stratostower is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

Hello Cape,
I too am considering buying a multi. I have totally narrowed my selection to a Prout..probably a 37'', 38'' or 39''. I have studied everything possible for over a year now and everything taken into consideration these models appear to be the best approach to every pro & con discussed in this thread.
I am starting a new business ( I build own & operated wireless communication towers) so I should be making the jump on about a year. It will take me that long to accumulate the cash & tell the IRS so long (after they raped me of about $8mm.
See you soon out there.
Old 06-25-2001

jinga is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

Hey clareg,
I think that you are going down the right track in respect to Multi''s. We ahve been mono sailors for over 40 years & made the transition to a multi last year.

We purchased a Dufour Nautitech 475, but after 12 months we are looking at modifying her to enable her to properly carry the weight she was loaded with when we bought her ie Generators, watermakers, 1200 ah of batteries, landlubber water & fuel.

We are now adding 1.5m to the stern & .75m to the bows & extending the rig by 2m, adding a panel to the main & adding a lager overlapping genoa. Currently she has a "self tacker". Currently we can carry all sail in 30 kts apparent without even looking like having to reef !

At this point in time, the boat holds its own with most monos of a larger size, and other cruising cats - where they do come into their own is on longer cruises where the hulls are not bound to "hull speed" like monos of a cruising / racing design. We club race regularly.

Cats with centreboards certainly perform better than those with fixed keels (as ours is) - but it is a trade off in both instances. We are happy with the ease of fixed keels & performance and pointing ability really depends on the individual owning the boat.

The prior owners of our boat test sailed each boat available in our size range, and while the Catana was slightly faster, the overall value for money with the Dufour won the day.

Our boat was sailed from Tahiti to Australia, and as a rule, most French manufactured boats are delivered across the Atlantic on their own bottoms.

The other aspect to the French manufactured boats, is that they are all built to DNV survey & are certified by this agency - check with other manufacturers.

Upside to cats :
Livability - most cruising proponents statistically say that only 10% of your cruising time is spent at sea. This is borne out by many cruisers who end up in our area.

Sea Kindly - despite what other people have to say - we have now done 2,000nm of open ocean cruising on our boat and as opposed to monos - the motion is no problem. Most of our sailing is conducted in 20 knots +, and so far have recorded a max of 16 knots.

Fuel efficient - generally smaller diesels (even with 2) than is required to push a similiar sized mono. We have twin 50''s and get 8 knots at 1/2 rpm using 1.5 ltr per engine per hour

Stability - have never had to worry about gimbals (fiddles yes), but generally all sailing is done on an even keel with very little sudden lurching - even surfing down swells.

Downside
Modern Cats don''t seem to have any corners ie all of our furnishings are rounded - which makes it impossible to prop into a corner & relax at sea or in harbour. Not even in our cockpit. We are rectifying this during our Mods.

Other than than - we are yet to experience a downside. And docking is no problem at all - in fact it is just as easy as a mono with a single diesel. The boat will spin in its own length. BUT windage can be a problem - just have to allow for it.

Let us know if you want any further info.
Old 06-29-2001

gto2 is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

after reading the current feedback on cat cruising i am forming the opinion that if i cannot afford at least a 37-42'' cat for offshore passage, perhaps i should look at monohulls in the 36-42'' range which i can afford.
Old 07-02-2001

jinga is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

Guys,

Just as an update on our Nautitech 475 - we have now craned her out of the water to begin extensions to enable her to carry the loads installed by her previous owner.

Just for your information, the boat is supposed to weigh 10.5 tonne according to her manual.

When lifted out she weighed 15 tonne with 1/2 fuel & 1/2 water. No wonder we could keep full sail in 30 knots apparent !!

So, it appears that if we want to retain the cruising comforts she has - (& this entends to a Fisher Panda 6 generator, watermaker, washing machine (small)- then the extensions are more than necessary if we want to sail - as opposed to "motorsail"

The increased rig has now been re-engineered - however, given the weight of the boat - we will be reefing down to save the rig - not save the boat from capsizing !!

Upon reflection of our last posting, an additional downside to Cats is the fact that there are not many marinas (in our part of the world anyway) that can cope with the beam for lifting by travellift - so, crane was our only option at probably 3 times the cost. Also marina berthing attracts a fee of 1.5 times the cost of a berth, and in some cases 2 times because you take up the space allocated to 2 berths with the beam of a cat.

So, once again, this example typifies the weight factor on Cats - and we do not believe that the above "crusing comforts" are excessive - although it now looks like the airconditioning won''t be going in !!

Still, when all is said & done - she still sails as well as a mono - but the comfort factor - both at sea & especially in port more than compensates for the modifications we are doing.

Will keep everyone posted - but the moral here is to carefully evaluate your cruisng comfort levels - in terms of equipment - and ensure that your "stock" cat can carry the load. Our boat certainly looks ok in terms of the weight she has - ie she floats well above her waterline - but the performance was sluggish.

Jinga

Old 07-03-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

Hi, Jinga...

I''m a monohull sailor but have enjoyed cruising this past 1+ years with cats as well as monos, and I really appreciate your balanced comments about your cat project. Keep us posted, and keep the weight off the boat & out of the ends - and good luck on that revamped rig!

Jack