We''re not sure how she came to be so heavy either - the weight measurement came from the scales attached to the crane & could be upto 10% out. We believed her to be about 13.5t & that would be consistent with a 10% error.
Still heavy though.
I guess that she was ostensibly fitted out for very comfortable cruising & has the following :
Fisher Panda Generator, Watermaker, Diesel Heater, Washing Machine, 4 x Lifeline 285ah batteries (bloody big), 500 ltr water & 400 ltr fuel
We figure that the modifications to bring her into Australian Charter standards added probably .5t (1,100 ltr/min bilge / firefighting pump
& 2" Stainless Steel plumbing from this pump
to each compartment).
Anyway - she is still heavy for any type of sailing in breezes under 15 kts !
In respect to the possiblity of selling her & buying / building a larger boat as opposed to the modifications - there are several reasons for our course of action :
1. We did look very closely at a Lagoon 55 - but our reseach showed that we would probably end up with a similar problem - ie a boat loaded up to cruise & marginal sailing performance.
2. The physical size daunted us a little & while I would be comfortable with something like the Lagoon 55 - the practicalities of a 55'' x 28'' boat anywhere in our area is a costly exercise in terms of mooring and slipping. We just squeeze in as we are (beam wise at 26'')
3. The boat we have is "new" - and has everything we wanted for comfortable cruising (including Satphone). While she was launched in Oct 98 - she had done very little sailing & the engines only had 100 hrs on them when we bought her. So, to sell her & look to something a little larger would mean looking to an older boat.
4. To sell the boat here in Aus means accepting payment in "Pacific Pesos" & then having to shell out $US for something else - so it meant a changeover of perhaps $US 100k by the time we paid duties, taxes etc.
5. In reality, we don''t really want a "bigger" boat - but one that sails faster. The only way to achieve this was to either take out weight or increase the waterline length. Obviously, we have chosen the later. The accommodations we have are great & I think that for 2 people, with the odd visitors - our boat is on the larger end of the scale - but is very comfortable.
6. The modifications we are doing include the following : extending the bows by 750mm, extending the stern by 1500mm and reshaping the aft sections a little to encnce the waterflow, extending the rig
by 2000m, adding a panel to the main and installing a larger (60sqm) overlapping jib
on the furler
. Additionally, we are re-distributing the loading - as the gen, watermaker, diesel heater, holding tank
& 300 ltr watertank are all on the port side - with the watertank being located in the extremes of the bow. On the starboard side is a 200 ltr tank & the waterheater (60 ltr) !! - so we are going to shut off the 300 ltr tank & keep it for "in port" & locate a 300 ltr tank on the starboard side.
The total cost for all of this is $US 25,000.00 (quoted)- Including Naval Architect fees.
So, hopefully, with the above, we should get to an acceptable sailing ability - even with keels !! - If the truth be known - I''m not sure that I could go through the selling / buying process for quite some time !!
Just out of interest - I will post some pics when I can.
Thanks for the interest hervel & will keep you posted. Sorry about the long diatribe - but its a decision that we have agonised over for some time now.