SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   What type of boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/12270-what-type-boat.html)

n2boating 12-29-2005 09:48 AM

What type of boat

Hi. My hubby, myself and our three children are planning to cast off in the spring of 2008.
I really don''t know what kind of boat would be best. I really like the Gulfstar 50, but it''s more than we can afford.
I''m wondering if anyone has any tips. We need a bunk for hubby and I, of course and we''d like each child to have their own bunk where we can put drawers for the clothes and personal items. I really worry about them the most.
I have found plenty of boats with two additional bunks, but not three.
HELP!!!!!!

We need to keep it at $50,000 or less.

Thanks, Kim

PaulBl 12-29-2005 12:59 PM

What type of boat

You really need to start figuring out more than just how many bunks. You need to come to terms with what type of use you expect to get and where you expect to be able to go. What you already know how to do and wha you''ll need to do to learn the rest.

Picking the actual boat I think is the easy part. Figuring out all the questions and working through the solutions along with the money really are the harder parts. For all I said the money really is the important part. You don''t want to put more in than you can afford or you won''t be able to go any place.

To be honest a long distance 50 ft boat for $50K is going to be hard to come by in terms of a boat that is ready to go. Getting into the details of what you want to do and how you expect to do it will help shape your decision a lot more.

There is the boat and there is the stuff and there is the crew. It seems obvious but they all need some planning in many areas.

Think about a bigger picture than the number of bunks and work backwards.

Irwin32 12-29-2005 01:56 PM

What type of boat

I agree with PaulBL. If you are going off shore you will be hard pressed to find a suitable boat, even close to ready for sea, for 5 people.

sailortjk1 12-30-2005 03:58 AM

What type of boat

Make sure you have the propper electronics.
Auto pilot, gps/chart plotter, etc.....
Radar may also be a decision you''ll have to make.

As Paul stated, you have to figure out where you plan on cruising and what type of conditions you will be in. Than set the boat up for your specific requirements.

Costal cruising is not the same as ocean passages.

Be wise, don''t cut corners. With the budget you have in mind, you may have to settle on a good old boat, take some time to fix''er up, than enjoy your cruise.

MHRitter 04-29-2006 04:50 PM

Think about joining an organization that has members that can help you learn. look at usps.org or even usps.org/lc/door

sailingdog 04-29-2006 09:39 PM

Also, most of the berths the marketing people consider suitable, are really dangerous at sea. They are too wide, and too open, and will allow you to move a dangerous amount. The more serious the passage you're going on, the smaller each berth should be. Blue-water passage boats generally have relatively tiny berths compared to most GWB (generic white boats).