SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

beneteau/jeaneau

7K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  PCP 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a much difference between the Beneteau 37 and the Jeaneau 379. Current new models. There is a 10-15 percent price difference. I would be using this boat for east coast cruising only.

#2 ·
A beneteau is like a Toyota, the Jenneau is like a lexus. Same company just the jenneau is a little bit better put together.
Keep in mind that even though they are both owned by Beneteau, Jenneau, is still a separate company and use there own designs. They look similiar but the details are different.
The major difference that i noticed is how the inner grid system is attached in each. They do collarborate amongst the Beneteau Group.

The beneteau's grid is one large piece with no access below the grid.
The Jeanneau's grid is actually cut out between the stringer's. Possibly this may afford better access to the hull.
I'm not sure that plays any part in the strength of either.

Beneteau is a VERY large company and they have the ability to do a lot of in house research and can buy in bulk unlike other smaller manufactures. Believe it or not Beneteau builds houses too!

They are the largest sailboat company in the world and possibly the oldest continuous operating sailboat company as well.

Beneteau Group

#18 ·
The beneteau's grid is one large piece with no access below the grid.
I've wondered about that kind of construction.
How do you clean under there?
It seems like some pretty nasty scum would accumulate eventually.

How do you run new wire and hoses?

Are you allowed to cut access holes or will that weaken it too much?

#3 · (Edited)
The Oceanis 37 is a boat that was already substituted by the 38, a better boat in several aspects including sailing (same designer), The Jeanneau 379 is a more recent boat and it is the current 37ft offer from Jeanneau. That is what is responsible for that price difference and I would say that the difference for a boat that has been discontinued and substituted is very small. the boat that substituted the Oceanis 37, the 38, won this year's competition for the family European boat of the year.

If you insist probably will probably get a better price on the Oceanis 37 and a bigger perceptual difference regarding the Jeanneau price. Can be a good deal if you get a nice price since it is a good boat.

The jeanneau is also a good boat but those hulls are different being the one from the Oceanis more beamy (3,92 m to 3.76) and more based on solo ocean racers than the one from the 379. Both boats sail well but not in the same way (the Oceanis with less heel).

If the difference of price is only 10 or 15% test sail both boats and keep the one you like more. That difference in price will be easily recovered when you sell the boat because they are boats from different generations and the used value of the Jeanneau will be bigger.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a Oceanis 45, built in the States. I really like the 469 (built in France?) but availability and negotiating power was much less. I am more critical of the build locations and those folks managing the builds. I'm not entirely impressed with the folks in Marion. Experience is key. Even in production boats there are differences between hulls 1, 50, and 100. How fast those differences occur is important, and how much actually needs to be changed.

As for the Toyota versus Lexus? I was an Engineer with Toyota. They are built in the same plants, sometimes on the same platform. The differences are in the finish. Better paint job, nicer leather, more features, real wood, more soft plastic surfaces, blah blah blah. The key was standardized work and consistency of build, for both, resulting in fewer defects. There is Quality and there is Quality. You can take a piece of exotic wood( higher quality??) or plastic, and screw them both up manufacturing (poor quality). I'd love to have the ear of a Beneteau exec.

#9 ·
Both of these models are built in the US, AT the SAME plant in NC I believe. So more like a chevy truck vs a gmc, both in the same plant. Probably like the Toyota Lexus differences too.

Jeanneau's "GENERALLY SPEAKING" have a few more goodies aboard from the factory, seem to be size for size a bit faster, excepting for the first series, which is faster yet, or the sun fast from Jeanneau. Both of those models are different birds against ea other also. The First series is probably the nicer interior by a bunch actually.

Jeanneau has a LARGE owners forum group, not sure about Beneteau. Along with at least in puget sound, there are two owner roundezvous's a year. IIRC 2 to possibly 3 on the east coast, and one on lk michigan.

Yes I am a bit biased!

Marty

#11 · (Edited)
Both of these models are built in the US, AT the SAME plant in NC I believe. ....
Marty
You mean that Beneteaus and Jeanneaus are built in the US at the same plant?

That makes sense since they belong to the same group but looking by an European perspective where they are not only competitors but have different manufacture processes and plants, it seems a bit odd.

Back on cars I remember that most Toyotas that we could have were made in a plant in Spain and only some very few models come directly from Japan. Those had a lot better reputation in what regards quality and lack of manufacture defects.

Regards

Paulo

#10 ·
Also now that I have wondered around playing a bit here. The Jeanneau has a performance pkg, which has tri radial sails, spin rigging, and 2nd cabin top winch, folding prop among the items in this pkg. WELL WORTH getting. Now that I am typing, I believe you also get line control jib carrs, and a slightly larger LP GENOA too. There is a link at the jeanneau.com site with a pdf showing the different options available.

I personally like the floorplan of the new 349 over the 370/409 boats personally. I believe the Beneateau might have a seperate shower/head area vs an ALL in one on the two larger Jeanneaus.

Marty

#12 ·
STM,

I do not have any experience with the Beneteau 37, but I can tell you that we love our 379. I did not want a shoal keel boat for performance reasons, but we sail in the Great Lakes, and many of the harbors have very thin water these days. The key feauture that sold us on the Jeanneau were the twin rudders on the shoal draft model. The boat tracks beautifully upwind and is easy to balance. Other features that we love about the boat are the twin wheels, the German mainsheet system, and the primary winches within easy reach of the helm. I can control both main and genoa easily from the helm. In lighter air, I am very comfortable flying spinnaker single handed. As the breeze builds, I steer and grind the winch while my wife tails the spin sheet from the high side. If you plan to race often with a full crew, you would want a second set of primary winches. We have the two stateroom layout with the storage "garage" aft of the head. Love this layout as well. This boat has been perfect for our family of four + sailing dog.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have. Good luck with your search!

#13 ·
thanks for all the replys. The new Beneteau 37, Platinum package which includes everything including a spinnaker/sock is about 200k. The Jeaneau 379 similarly equipt is more like 225 or more. Having a hard time justifying the difference. Not to mention I set a budget ceiling of 200.

#14 ·
Get the one you like better and/or can afford. However, I personally think you get what you pay for between the two.

That said, I'm not a big fan of all the "manufactured teak" that they both have used since about 2008 or 2009. It is sold as the only way they could build so many boats and remain environmentally conscious, as many teak forests were being devastated. However, I'm convinced they did so to save money, keep prices down and keep their product more cost effective during the global recession. Smart business move, I just don't want one. We love our '04.

#15 ·
Get the one you like better and/or can afford. However, I personally think you get what you pay for between the two.

That said, I'm not a big fan of all the "manufactured teak" that they both have used since about 2008 or 2009. It is sold as the only way they could build so many boats and remain environmentally conscious, as many teak forests were being devastated. However, I'm convinced they did so to save money, keep prices down and keep their product more cost effective during the global recession. Smart business move, I just don't want one. We love our '04.
Fully agree with all the crap veneers they're using now. Even my sole is a veneered vinyl product. Cheapens the look.

Catalina is still able to use teak, but they're shifting too for their lower end models. I guess the cost factor is inevitable. Cant believe a 34 foot boat is now over $200k!

#16 ·
The newest stuff isn't even veneer. Quality veneer can be beautiful, if made well, as the outer layer is real wood and real grain. Some of the highest quality furniture is actually veneer these days. It usually falls short if the veneer is thin or done in mismatched narrow strips.

This new stuff is just high tech particle board, made from teak dust and the grain is actually painted on. Yes, painted. You should have seen the sales guy look me in the eye and say this is a great advantage. They can now entirely replicate any piece aboard for repair. Felt like he would have been equally proud to be able to clone a human. :)

I'm sorry to be dumping on boats with this interior, I suspect there are some that like it. Certainly, it doesn't take away from sailing characteristics or make it a bad boat. Everyone I know that has sailed the newest Js and Bs, has loved them. The aesthetics just aren't for me. No doubt there is a Hinckley owner out there that finds the modestly contemporary teak in my boat to be undesirable.

#17 ·
Paulo,

yes they are making in the same plant. similar to Hanse and Dehler are now being made int he same plant as I understand in Germany. Probably because Jeanneau was looing for a place to build here, to make them more cost effective, ie not having to add 10-20K US$ for across the pond shipping on the smaller models.....along with the depression here, keep GOOD employee's working on both models etc.

I would also agree, that buy the one you can afford, or prefer overall. BOTH will be good boats. I also believe you do get a bit more with the Jeanneau vs the Beneteau, along with a better slightly faster sailing boat. You are dealing with a Toyota lexus, chevy/ Cadillac, Ford/Lincoln type of marketing to a degree.

I also like my mid 80's interior granted plywood veneer boat over the new faux teak look, but understand the why some manufactures are doing this, along with iron vs lead keels as another option etc.

Marty

#20 ·
Paulo,

yes they are making in the same plant. similar to Hanse and Dehler are now being made int he same plant as I understand in Germany. Probably because Jeanneau was looing for a place to build here, to make them more cost effective, ie not having to add 10-20K US$ for across the pond shipping on the smaller models.....along with the depression here, keep GOOD employee's working on both models etc.

Marty
You are right, of course. Jeanneau is so big that sometimes we forget that is owned by Beneteau:D

Regards

Paulo

#21 ·
To answer some of this:

I've wondered about that kind of construction. My grid is very thick, solid. You'd have to see it to believe it.
How do you clean under there?
I run a water hose up there to rinse it out once in a while. Being a flat bottom boat it doesn't accumalate alot of water. The boat stays remarkably dry anyways.

It seems like some pretty nasty scum would accumulate eventually.
None that i have seen. Looks amazing clean.

How do you run new wire and hoses?
There is a pipe chase that runs from the front to rear for wiring. This is for the transducers and electronic gear. Most wiring is run down the sides of the boat. The only water lines are the bilge hoses and shower sumps. (For the most part)

Are you allowed to cut access holes or will that weaken it too much?
I can't see cutting holes in the structure of the grid as this would compromise the integrity. Installing a thru hull thru the bottom is fine. I have noticed that the stringers are roughly 5/8" thick; built like "U" channel, if that makes sense.

If you ever get the chance to go thru and older (90's) Bene and do some ripping and tearing, do it. The thought they put into engineering is amazing. When i bought this boat i was skeptical of it's construction and sailing abilities. Not anymore.

#22 ·
Actually Paulo,

IIRC some specs froma few years ago, jeanneau builds MORE boats than any other manufacture. Beneteau itself is a reasonably close 2nd........Not sure who the next individual builder was. Not talking groups mind you.

For others GB is equal to a GM here in the states, but a broader based group. They had Waiquiez for awhile, Lagoon catamarans, another specialty builder that built the cats for waterworld and a few other oneoff boats, An electric car company, and a branch that builds land RV's in France too. I am recalling the equal to mobile/premanufactured homes also.

Marty

#23 ·
Actually Paulo,

IIRC some specs froma few years ago, jeanneau builds MORE boats than any other manufacture........
I've read the same. I've also read that our model sold the most units of any boat over 50 ft, ever. Something like 900 from '04 to '08.

While those seems like pre-recession years, at least the latter couple really were on the skids. It seems to me what Jeanneau does better than most is provide great value for what you pay. They are clearly a high volume production manufacturer, not a craft built Hinckley, but you'll pay about half or less for the same functionality. Or at least pretty close.

For us, the comparable Oyster was more than twice the cost. Oyster is clearly a better boat, but by 2x?? I use Oyster as my example, because I've lost track of the number of dock walkers that ask us if she is an Oyster. I know they must be less than schooled in the differences, but it says something.

Actually, we like the layout of the J54DS better too, both above and below deck. Why would we pay twice as much? If we're fortunate enough by the time we retire, maybe we'll move up to something a bit more ocean worthy, although, many J54DSs have crossed oceans. I know one that has been back and forth to the BVI from New England almost 10 times.

#26 ·
Paulo,

Need to add the power boats in also! Beneteau may sell more sail boats due to the slightly lower cost.

The bavaria group IIRC is either 2 or 3, with hanse being the other in the top three overall hull builders. Jeanneau was building more hulls in there lines than Beneteau at least for awhile. Probably due to more going to leasing clients than beneteau.

Marty

#28 ·
Jeanneau makes motor boats too.

As I said I am mot arguing, not enough information but what I make from what I read is that about 30% of the world's sailing boats are made by Groupe Beneteau, 20% with the brand Beneteau (Sense, Oceanis, First and monotypes) and 10% by all the others Beneteau brands put together but the article refereed exportation so that means French boats and would leave boats made in the US out of it. Not very clear:(.

Anyway since the US boats (Beneteau + Jeanneau) stand only for about 22% of the total Groupe Benetau output that will leave clearly boats with the Beneteau brand clearly ahead.

Probably what you have mentioned reefers the US market and it has all logic. I read that Groupe Beneteau is trying to produce boats that specifically respond to American tastes and needs and that means obviously Jeanneau, since I have learned some years ago that it was an American (EriK Stromberg) the Sailboat Product Manager from Jeanneau, the one that is responsible for the development of the new boats, meaning the one that works near the designer saying to him what kind of boat he wants.

I believe that Groupe Beneteau with jeanneau is targeting particularly the American market where they have been growing much more faster than on any other market...and they have plans to grow even faster.

Regards

Paulo

#27 ·
IIRC some specs froma few years ago, jeanneau builds MORE boats than any other manufacture. Beneteau itself is a reasonably close 2nd........Not sure who the next individual builder was. Not talking groups mind you.

For others GB is equal to a GM here in the states, but a broader based group. They had Waiquiez for awhile, Lagoon catamarans, another specialty builder that built the cats for waterworld and a few other oneoff boats, An electric car company, and a branch that builds land RV's in France too. I am recalling the equal to mobile/premanufactured homes also.
Yes; where did you get those stats?? I would find it hard to believe that Jenneau sells more than Bene. From what i have read it's the other way around.
But, then again; the salesman at my marina said that Hunter was #1 in the world. ;)
He doesn't sell to many boats.

#29 ·
I sm recalling that the quote came from one of the boat rags. It may have only been for a few years, then the actual beneteau brand took back over.....but this was on a world level, not local US level.

It did surprise me, as I see more beneteaus be it sail or power sold locally here in Puget Sound. With that in mind, the Jeanneau 409 has I beleive more boats sold vs any other brand, with 16 or so sold locally. Not sure the J105 fleet is that large. I keep thinking they have a large fleet of 1d racers. Not sure that the new 111 has enough to do 1d as of yet..........I could be wrong here.

Marty

#30 ·
Paulo, I agree.
It's hard to break down their finicial records. Sailboats make up 41% of the company (Group). Of that, Beneteau outsells Jeaneau about 1.7 to 1. There is no break down between motor and sail between divisions. It appears from their records that Jeanneau has never out sold Beneteau in the last 4 years at least.
It's amazing the Beneteau Groupe did something like 831 Million Euro ($1.15 Bil) in revenue for their last fiscal year.

#31 ·
People forget how many boats Beneteau builds for the charter trade worldwide.

Reading their finicial reports gives you some incite on how they are planning on taking over the American and Asian markets. They plan a 2.5% increase in sales this year. Jeanneau appears to be an "American" theme for them. As it is labeled Jeanneau America on their finicials.

#32 ·
I doubt Jeanneau per say is strictly American or NA themed per say. As they sell the same plans world wide. They only build the smaller ie 30-40'' versions here, same with beneteau for that matter. Altho It appears as if they have starteed to build some of the sub 30' models local also. Which is a good thing, as the sub 30' models of the compition is pretty slim. ie catalina and Hunter!

The numbers I am recalling, may have been a few years back too. But I do recall more than one magazine article stating Jeanneau built more units per year than beneteau. That could have changed over the last few years also.

Reality is, for the OP, either boat will work for his useage. I do not believe there is a better of the two per say. I suppose some of us other pundits can argure the size etc. Reality is, both build HUGE numbers of boats overall!

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.