Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014

stm is on a distinguished road
beneteau/jeaneau

Can anyone tell me if there is a much difference between the Beneteau 37 and the Jeaneau 379. Current new models. There is a 10-15 percent price difference. I would be using this boat for east coast cruising only.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: beneteau/jeaneau

A beneteau is like a Toyota, the Jenneau is like a lexus. Same company just the jenneau is a little bit better put together.
Keep in mind that even though they are both owned by Beneteau, Jenneau, is still a separate company and use there own designs. They look similiar but the details are different.
The major difference that i noticed is how the inner grid system is attached in each. They do collarborate amongst the Beneteau Group.

The beneteau's grid is one large piece with no access below the grid.
The Jeanneau's grid is actually cut out between the stringer's. Possibly this may afford better access to the hull.
I'm not sure that plays any part in the strength of either.

Beneteau is a VERY large company and they have the ability to do a lot of in house research and can buy in bulk unlike other smaller manufactures. Believe it or not Beneteau builds houses too!

They are the largest sailboat company in the world and possibly the oldest continuous operating sailboat company as well.

Beneteau Group
jimgo likes this.
Old 02-14-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

The Oceanis 37 is a boat that was already substituted by the 38, a better boat in several aspects including sailing (same designer), The Jeanneau 379 is a more recent boat and it is the current 37ft offer from Jeanneau. That is what is responsible for that price difference and I would say that the difference for a boat that has been discontinued and substituted is very small. the boat that substituted the Oceanis 37, the 38, won this year's competition for the family European boat of the year.

If you insist probably will probably get a better price on the Oceanis 37 and a bigger perceptual difference regarding the Jeanneau price. Can be a good deal if you get a nice price since it is a good boat.

The jeanneau is also a good boat but those hulls are different being the one from the Oceanis more beamy (3,92 m to 3.76) and more based on solo ocean racers than the one from the 379. Both boats sail well but not in the same way (the Oceanis with less heel).

If the difference of price is only 10 or 15% test sail both boats and keep the one you like more. That difference in price will be easily recovered when you sell the boat because they are boats from different generations and the used value of the Jeanneau will be bigger.
benesailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-14-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2014

Thanks Paulo, waiting for you to jump in. That's a good review.
Old 02-14-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

The PHRF rating on the Jeanneau is about 24 seconds faster. Both are iron keels. The stove of the 379 is small, and it only had 1 cabin top winch when I saw it a year ago.
Whichever you buy, make delivery subject to a survey and sea trial.
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-14-2014

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Near my Club a recent 40-50' Jeanneau hit bottom at 7 knots, and came to an abrupt halt on rocks.
The shipwrite repaired the minor damage in three days. Unbelieveable.
Old 02-14-2014

here we go...
Old 02-14-2014

Missingyou is on a distinguished road
beneteau/jeaneau

I have a Oceanis 45, built in the States. I really like the 469 (built in France?) but availability and negotiating power was much less. I am more critical of the build locations and those folks managing the builds. I'm not entirely impressed with the folks in Marion. Experience is key. Even in production boats there are differences between hulls 1, 50, and 100. How fast those differences occur is important, and how much actually needs to be changed.

As for the Toyota versus Lexus? I was an Engineer with Toyota. They are built in the same plants, sometimes on the same platform. The differences are in the finish. Better paint job, nicer leather, more features, real wood, more soft plastic surfaces, blah blah blah. The key was standardized work and consistency of build, for both, resulting in fewer defects. There is Quality and there is Quality. You can take a piece of exotic wood( higher quality??) or plastic, and screw them both up manufacturing (poor quality). I'd love to have the ear of a Beneteau exec.

Last edited by Missingyou; 02-17-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Both of these models are built in the US, AT the SAME plant in NC I believe. So more like a chevy truck vs a gmc, both in the same plant. Probably like the Toyota Lexus differences too.

Jeanneau's "GENERALLY SPEAKING" have a few more goodies aboard from the factory, seem to be size for size a bit faster, excepting for the first series, which is faster yet, or the sun fast from Jeanneau. Both of those models are different birds against ea other also. The First series is probably the nicer interior by a bunch actually.

Jeanneau has a LARGE owners forum group, not sure about Beneteau. Along with at least in puget sound, there are two owner roundezvous's a year. IIRC 2 to possibly 3 on the east coast, and one on lk michigan.

Yes I am a bit biased!

Marty
Old 02-15-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Also now that I have wondered around playing a bit here. The Jeanneau has a performance pkg, which has tri radial sails, spin rigging, and 2nd cabin top winch, folding prop among the items in this pkg. WELL WORTH getting. Now that I am typing, I believe you also get line control jib carrs, and a slightly larger LP GENOA too. There is a link at the jeanneau.com site with a pdf showing the different options available.

I personally like the floorplan of the new 349 over the 370/409 boats personally. I believe the Beneateau might have a seperate shower/head area vs an ALL in one on the two larger Jeanneaus.

Marty