Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006

CivilServant is on a distinguished road
New Boat Purchase

My wife and I are in the market to buy our first boat (we both have sailed throughout our lives but this will be the first boat we''ve owned). We''re looking at a 1982 Lancer 28 and a 1972 Catalina 25. What sorts of questions should we ask when buying a new boat and what sorts of unique problems or issues arise for Lancers or Catalinas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2006

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
New Boat Purchase

See if you are happy with the v-berth area in the Cat. 27. The early 27''s had the hatch over the head aft of the v-berths. This made the v-berths very dark, poorly ventilated and claustrophobic. My wife and I couldn''t deal wth this.
Old 01-16-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
New Boat Purchase

Log on to www.catalina25-250.org/forum for info on the Catalina 25. They have an article on what to look for if you''re surveying the boat yourself.
Old 01-17-2006

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
New Boat Purchase

In my experience a Catalina 25 is a very good choice for a first boat. They kind of remind me of a Camry in that they don''t do anything spectacular, but they do everything reasonably well. Having said that they do have a few things to look for when purchasing one. Check the rudder, they are bad about the gudgeons going bad and making them vibrate. If you are looking at a swing keel model make sure to haul out and check the side to side play. They are bad about the rod bending and wallering the hole out allowing way to much slop. Pull the cushions back and look at the bulk heads, furthermore put your hand on them and make sure they are solid. Same thing around the chain plates. Last, you make absolutely certain to look at the bottom before you purchase the boat. They are terrible about blistering. None of these would keep me from buying a nice boat, but they would certainly affect the selling price.
As a broker, I would suggest that you think long and hard about the Lancer. They don''t seem to sell very well. I have come to regret signing one up as it just takes forever to sell it.
Very Best of Luck
Dirt
PS. I tell all my customers that they only need to have a boat surveyed if it costs more money than they are willing to through in the trash.
Old 01-18-2006

sailortonyb1 is on a distinguished road
New Boat Purchase

I used to own a Catalina 25. I think its a great boat. Handles a lot rougher weather than you would expect. I would get the fin keel as opposed to the swing keel, Big difference in handling and performance. Also, the "v " berth in the Cat 25 is bigger than in the 27, hard to believe , but true. Im 5-9 and GF is 5''-2'''' and we slept in there just fine. Also the pop top - we had a set-up made that was canvas that draped across the top of the pop-top when up and had screens that flopped down with velcro up windows.
Was real nice at the dock as it gave standing headroom, but was down while sailing. A nice Catalina about 20 years old with a good newer outboard should run between $5,000 and $6,000 and if you ever decide to upgrade, Catalina''s hold their value. The main thing i would check for is on the bulkhead where the chainplates attach to the plywood. If no signs of leaks or rot, then most all else can be surveyed by yourself. Go to library and get a few books on marine surveying and check it out yourself, on a Cat 25, not much to it. Good luck in whatever you do.
Old 02-06-2006

MathewMoen is on a distinguished road
New Boat Purchase

If your in the south florida area I have a very nice catalina 30 1988 with new engine, transmission, prop shaft. I''ll send additional pictures and information if you wish.