SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Morgan 36 Out Island Sloop

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jsutor 
#1 ·
I am about to make an offer on a this 1973 vintage Morgan. I will be using it for a live-aboard and crusing. It is in need of some obvious work, and I have not had her surveyed yet. One of the things I found was a spot on the deck, about a foot square that is delaminated. How difficult would this be to repair and how? Other questions I have are about it''s sea-worthiness, sailing characturistics, and construction.
I would appreciate any info.
Thanks

#2 ·
sign up for the Morgan site on this list. The group there are extremely capable and knowledgeable and love to share their information with you.
I don''t believe the small deck lamination area you spoke of would be a problem. Morgan laid up the deck is sections and seem to be repaired the same way. The list will give you step by step information on this topic. Look in the archives.

John

#3 ·
These are an extremely comfortable boat but I cannot express enough the need for a complete and proper survey by a qualified person of your choice. Delamiation was a problem on the hull of my boat. This was a repairable structural concern, but was not found (I had been told that the hull said to be overbuilt) as the survey was done with the boat in the water. The 10K spent on the repairs would have been better spent on other things (such as an out of water survey). That being said, my wife and I are very happy with our boat it is comfortable and though not the fastest design that loss is more than compensated for by the comfort.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.