SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Any opinion on the newer C&C''s (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/12396-any-opinion-newer-c-cs.html)

genethompson 01-29-2006 09:33 AM

Any opinion on the newer C&C''''s

I have been in pressed by these, especially the new 115, but the 110 and 121 are nice also. I have been aboard all three. The 110 seems a little small, 115 seems perfectly sized, the 121 more of a full race rig. Light, roomy with nice interiors, performance rigs and keels. The only downside I see is that they are slanted toward racer/cruiser rather than cruiser/racer. I had one broker talk about the risk of banging the hull against a sea wall and that it could cause delamination of the cored hull. Jeff H? Anyone?

CBinRI 03-08-2006 01:26 PM

I own an older C&C but have not sailed on the newer ones. Like other fast boats, they are light. But I'm not sure I would be concerned that they would be that easily damaged. I have a cored hull from 1979 and have no complaints about its durability.

The new C&Cs have received great reviews. At least one of them (the 115?) has won boat of the year from Cruising World. They are now built by Tartan. Again, haven't sailed on them but word of mouth is very good.

sailortjk1 03-08-2006 02:36 PM

Last year, we were looking for a cruiser easily handled with a small crew of two (my wife and myself). I started inquiring into the new 115 and the salesman actually talked us out of it, saying it was probably too much to be short handed and was better suited for a larger crew. I'm sure others might disagree but that was his advise. Like you said it built more to be a racer than cruiser.

paulk 03-08-2006 11:14 PM

Competitive edge

The last run-in I had with one of the newer C&C's was in the Stratford Shoal Race on Long Island Sound a few years ago. We were on a Swan39 and rounded the lighthouse (half way point) a ways behind the brand new (and expensively equipped C&C. I'm not sure which boat it was (110 or 115), but they gave us time. We both then proceded close-hauled to the finish, about fifteen miles away, in a light to medium southwest breeze. Our speed varied between roughly two to five knots over the leg. We passed them boat for boat. If I'd been the new C&C owner, I'd have been pissed to be passed by a heavy old Swan.

Jeff_H 03-09-2006 07:18 AM

I am not much of a fan of the 110 and 121, but have been very impressed with the 115 all around. Materials and methods of construction wise, these are some of the best built boats on the market. They should be one of the strongest for the weight boats on the market. In many ways these are my idea of an ideal performance coastal cruiser for a couple or single-hander offering a very workable interior and deck plan, very high performance and a rig that should be very easy to handle. While these boats have defininately been designed with racing in mind, I would still say that they are more cruiser than racer. If I have one real gripe with these boats, it is the very small water tankage which in my mind is something less than half of what I would want to see.

Just as a point of contrast, I would suggest that you take a look at the Aerodyne 38 and the Farr 395. Both are similar in concept high performance cruiser/ racers. Of the three the Aerodyne 38 seems to be the better cruiser/single-hander. The big shortcoming of the Aerodyne and Farr as coastal cruisers are their very deep draft. Although not built as well as the other three boats you might also take a look at Beneteau First 40.7.

Jeff

Columnist 03-12-2006 03:47 PM

C&c

Like Jeff, I am also not a real big fan of the 110 and 121.

I would advise taking a good look at the Sabre before purchasing the "new" C&C.

Also have a real good look at Dufour 40 and the Elan. This considering your desire to have more of a Cruiser/Racer".

Any of these reputable boats which are also well built, will provide for real good sailing and comfort aboard with minimum hassle after the sale.

It's not just the boat. It's the commissioning process, dealing with various items thereafter, factory support and so forth.