JENNEAU 42ds,vs Catalina 42,vs Benneteu423,vsBavaria42 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006

MDRSAILMAN is on a distinguished road
I looked at dufour,benneteau,catalina,hunter at the miami boat show. I think the Jenneau 42DS has them beat! Wanted to see Elan but no boat there to see. I dont even see a west coat dealer! So I guess service would be a problem. The people at Jenneau America were very nice even though this does not seem to be the opinion of most here

Last edited by MDRSAILMAN; 02-22-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
H2Oski,

"...they charge extra for things like the spring cleats, etc... (stuff you would normally have standard on other boats)..." If by spring cleat, you mean a cleat located amidships for securing spring lines, don't knock any builder for that ommission, my CS 36T is the only boat I've ever seen that has a factory-installed spring cleat, fabricated with a bale to prevent sheet fouling. Some other builder may have gotten to this sophistication, but not that I've noticed - who do you have in mind?

MDRSAILSMAN - Cat may be more common, but I'd also bet it'll be easier for re-sell based on buyer recognition. as to the Bene and Jennie, be sure they don't try to foist any steel keels onto you, they'll be a maintenance nightmare in no time. My advice is bend your rules a bit and for the same money, consider models a few years old, or a few feet shorter of better quality boats like Tartan, JBoat and Sabre You'll find a much more attractive product for your money.
Old 02-23-2006

H20

Thanks for the info. I need to buy new for financial reasons but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-23-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRSAILMAN
H20

Thanks for the info. I need to buy new for financial reasons but thanks for the suggestion.
MDRSailsman,

I guess you might take a look and see if you'd get "more" boat for your money with a Tartan 3700 or a Sabre 386 than you would with a Jenneau 42 ....There's a lot "more" to a boat than a couple of extra feet of at each end. Hey, those extra feet really arn't a very useable part of a boat anyway...

If you haven't I'd suggest you at least take a look, so you appreciate the differences...Buying a new boat is a wonderful opportunity, and I hope you don't limit your choices by a big is better perspective...This as close as I'll get to being the first owner of a boat...

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2006

H20

tell my wife a few inches does not matter
Old 02-24-2006

David B is on a distinguished road
What about Hunter?

Hi all,

I am in a similar situation - keep looking at the pro's and con's of the 'big name' boats that are in the affordable league. The Hunters (41/44) keep attracting our attention, so am wondering why this manufacturer seems to have been discounted. I am all ears in wanting to learn of others perspectives regarding a nice blue-water boat (definitely needs to be able to do some serious sailing - not just a 'coastal hopper'.

Regards,

David
Old 02-24-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Most builders target a specific audience for their product. It seems, in my view at least, that the big name, high volume builders are more geared to the casual sailor, who spends more time at rest, than in motion. Particularly in a marina. Hence, their emphasis is on creature comforts, most of which require electricity.

Then you have boats such as Valiant and Pacific Seacraft, for example, that are targeted to bluewater passagemaking. The main thing is to determine what you are going to do, and buy a boat that will accomplish that. And that may just be the hardest part of buying a boat. Realistic expectations of use.

Also, don't forget....you are the one that has to live with your choice, not those who give opinions. By all means seek others opinion's, it can be a valuable help in deciding, but choose YOUR boat, not theirs.

John
Old 02-24-2006

In response to Hunter question I can only tell you what I see! At my marina there are 16 Hunters for sale. They have been for sale for a long time! Two of my friends own Hunters and the decision was made to buy them from the wife who liked the comforts. My concern is that the Hunter is not a good resale. I have sailed on them and was not impressed. That does not mean it will not work for you. Many Many Hunters are sold so they do attract a folllowing. You owe it to yourself to look on yachtword and see the high number of these boats for sale. But if the wife says Hunter or nothing its better than no boat at all. I agree with the above posting. Decide how you will use the boat!

Last edited by MDRSAILMAN; 02-24-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2006

PBZEER good advice
Old 02-25-2006

RCR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Hi all,

I am in a similar situation - keep looking at the pro's and con's of the 'big name' boats that are in the affordable league. The Hunters (41/44) keep attracting our attention, so am wondering why this manufacturer seems to have been discounted. I am all ears in wanting to learn of others perspectives regarding a nice blue-water boat (definitely needs to be able to do some serious sailing - not just a 'coastal hopper'.

Regards,

David

My father and I are looking at the same boats as the original poster, but also including Hunter and Delphia. However, Hunter dropped from our list after the Miami boat show. Their build quality is seriously lacking with regard to hatches and other external items. When tried to open a hatch on the swim platform and it would barely open because of scraping against the swim ladder. When we tried to open a hatch in the cockpit, even the saleswoman couldn't open it because of scraping against the next hatch. We also noticed the engine room cover (stairs) are not even latched down and were a pain to get back into the groove. We are not looking at Hunters anymore.