JENNEAU 42ds,vs Catalina 42,vs Benneteu423,vsBavaria42 - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
David B.

Note: you asked, the following is my opinion!
You hear disparaging of Hunters because in general while Hunter sells the lowest cost boats, they cutting enough corners to still make a good profit on them. The cut corners typically are things whose importance may only apparent over time or initially to an experienced eye. So Hunters float at the bottom of the boating food chain, providing starter boats for newbies who, as they learn from their ownership, either move onto better-made boats, or drop out of sailing altogether.

Now some people may say I'm blowing smoke, but I offer the following link as a good example of what I speak, read and see if you get the drift:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/hunter28.htm

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2006

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
[.

On onother note: my philosophy was to find a slightly used boat. Me personaly, I would not buy new boat. (Thats just my opinion)

I found a slightly used boat and saved thousands of dollars versus buying new. All the electronics were already installed and the boat is broken in, no new boat surprises.[/quote]

And if you are concerned witrh resale, with a new boat, you will suffer upon resale so why not buy a quality boat 2 to 5 years old or even more and break even after owning. Do you HAVE to have a new boat and why? You could get away from the hunterbenelinas and get say a Sabre, Hallberg or another high quality boat be happy AND save ALOT of money.

Dennis
Old 02-27-2006

Solmates is on a distinguished road
As far as Hunter bashing goes, this has been a favorite pastime for many sailors for years. And as far as resale goes I think you will find a ton of Beneteaus, Catalina's, O'days, etc as well as Hunters. Personally I think that has something to do with the numbers of boats made. They are all production boats and not custom or semi custom. The other aspect that enhances the image of inferior quality is as the previous poster said experience with one of the boats years ago. Times change and so do the conditions of the boats. I will say that after buying 2 Hunters I hold no such prejudices. I now have a Hunter deck salon and this is one impressive boat for many reasons with sailing being one of them. Equipment used in the build is top quality and the very few small warranty issues that we have had (like a draw not latching properly have been taken care of right away.) The reason I bring this up is that a friend of mine who bought a brand new Catalina 400 had the boat delivered and discovered that none of the hoses or plumbing had been installed properly. He had to go through quite a process to get the dealer and company to correct it. There is not one boat in the world that is perfect and so called "higher end" boats have problems also. It would be my suggestion to spend some time on each of the boats that you are considering and see how closely it meets your requirements and expectations. I am not saying that a Hunter is definitely for you but I also would not dismiss it on someone elses recommandation. I can only tell you that I own a beautiful boat that not only turns heads whereever she goes but sails like a demon! ;-)
Old 02-27-2006

MDRSAILMAN is on a distinguished road
jeanneau owners network - 42 DS - First Sailing Impressions

Click on this link! Interesting comments
Old 03-19-2006

Pleased

I know this may be hard to belive but so far Jenneau USA has been more responsive than Catalina that is 140 miles from my house!
Old 03-20-2006
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
MDRSAIlMAN:

In my opinion I prefer high build quality and sailing performance over that offered by the mass production builders, which seem to treat those qualities as third or fourth priorities. Ask any sailor, build quality and performance equal safety, with my family on board, that's what matters.

I find it interesting to watch people at boat shows, everyone focuses on the interior and volume - comfort at the dock. However, under way, everyone stays in the cockpit or on deck b/c going below makes them sea sick. When choosing a boat, one needs to think about how the boat will feel and perform underway, is the cockpit and interior functional at 10-15 deg of heel, its a sail boat, after all.

In addition to considering the Tartan and Sabre, I would also consider the Dehler 39SQ, it's a sailor's sail boat, its a solid, perfectly balanced boat, easily handled by you and your wife, with comfortable performance and a spacious interior. I have looked at and sailed these boats in our boat search and I have been impressed, great sailing characteristics, amazingly comfortable and fuctional cockpit, and a beautiful interior. There is one in stock at www.dehler.us which you should check out.

Last edited by max-on; 03-20-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2006

Dehler 36 is a nice boat. I dont however have another $100,000. This boat is 400,000 after options and tax.
Old 03-20-2006
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRSAILMAN
Dehler 36 is a nice boat. I dont however have another $100,000. This boat is 400,000 after options and tax.
I do not know from where you are getting you figures the Dehler 36 SQ and 39 SQ, in sail-away condition, including full options - sails, full raymarine electronics, electric halyard winch, cherry interior (their joinerwork is excellent, best I have see, even compared to a Swan), battery charger, dyform rigging, folding prop, furler, rigid vang, anchor rode/chain, even docklines and fenders, etc, is $225k and $292k, respectively, and I believe there is a promotion going on now, so it may be less.

MDRSAILMAN, I think you should give these a closer look, the D39SQ has a waterline length of those 'longer' boats, and if you sail one, you will instantly be impressed with the performance and the comfort above and below decks, at least I was. Give Jeff at dehler.us a call, he is a straight shooter, a sailor, and anything but a salesman, and he can give you more information and accurate numbers. Or, if you wish, contact me offline.

Last edited by max-on; 03-20-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2006

h20ski is on a distinguished road
lok at new Elan 384- seems like a strong, great boat for a very good price.
www.elan-marine.com
Old 03-20-2006

H20

Thanks. Elan has no dealer or service support in California