Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Re: CS36 Merlin Model Comparison

Bee:

I have a 1987 Merlin that I bought 3-1/2 years ago. The boat was in good shape when I bought it. The keel was loose, which was discovered at survey, and I had it rebedded. There was also minor blistering that showed up as well. I have ignored them, and they have not gotten worse. They weren't even visible on my last haul.

There is a crack on the starboard settee, which was apparently from the water tank being filled up to quickly. There also appears to be some settling of the liner, which is common for the boat.

The only apparent alterations to the boat was the traveler was moved aft, and I have a rigid boom vang.

Personally, I haven't done much other than add a Max Prop

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014
CS36 Merlin - O Pato

mysterybee is on a distinguished road

Is your model a wing keel? fin? bulb?

Filling the water tank too quickly? Really? Never heard of that.

Do you have a photo of how the traveller is set up? Are you happy with its new position? Does it allow for a full enclosure under sail?

I'm considering the possibility of extending the steps in the companionway to create a less steep access. Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2014

It's a fin keel.

Filling the tank up seemed weird too. But I can see it happening. The tanks are huge (>120 Gallon for both of them) and the pipe for venting, and cross-connecting between the port and starboard tanks are only 1/2"... If you get impatient, because they are so large, you tend to want to crank up the water flow pretty high.... The hose mostly covers up the filler tube, and voila, you are pressurizing the tank.

I thought the story wasn't particularly believable at the time, but the surveyor agreed that could be the case. In my personal experience, I can see how it could happen, and I do not doubt the veracity of the previous owner

I will try and find a photo of the traveler. Not sure if I have one... I will check

Yes, the stairs are steep. I've grown comfortable with them over time. The grab rails are in a good spot, and as long as you go down facing the stairs, it's not too bad. My 82 year old father has learned to navigate them.

I have learned over several boat purchases to not mess with much until you've spent a few years with it. The wisdom of previous owners generally takes a while to become apparent.

Some pictures here
Kyrie 36 Photos by djodenda | Photobucket

Also, I forgot to mention that I had cracked stanchion bases. A common problem with the boat and a pain to fix.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to chat by phone.

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-26-2014
CS36 Merlin - O Pato

mysterybee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all this, David.
The '89 has the traveller placed right in front of the binnacle, which it appears to be where yours is now. The '90 model moved it to the coach roof.

Our boat (knock on wood) is a wing rather than fin keel. Not my favorite, but the previous owner installed forward-facing sonar to avoid grounding it.

The companionway steps are fully removable so I'm hoping I can modify them enough that the angle is just a little bit flatter.... either way I won't be making any changes in the first season. Learning the boat comes first.

The boat is in great shape but appears that it has not been sailed hard in a while. Hopefully we'll be able to open her up and see if the rumors about the Merlin's performance are true.

Cheers!

G
Old 02-26-2014

Yes.. that's where my traveler is...

She's fast. She likes some heel, keep weight forward downwind in light air.

She has a relatively wide groove... Play around until you find it.

And you owe us photos once you own her.

Does she have a windlass? Be curious to see the installation if so.

The short traveler is limiting. You can do quite a bit to control sail shape despite that using a rigid vang

Last edited by djodenda; 02-26-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2014

Oh.. and I am having an adjustable backstay and babystay added to the boat ...

Old 02-26-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybee View Post
I thought the same thing until I looked at them. The traveller in the 89 is in the cockpit, but in the 90 they moved it to the coach roof. Also, the companionway in the 89 is a ladder, but in the 90 they extended it out into a stairway over the motor.

So far we've only seen the 89, but hoping to see the 90 as soon as the snow melts enough to get to it.... (gotta love the Ontario snow belt!)

Cheers!

G
Honestly those features would not sway me one way or the other. I personally would prefer cockpit traveler, and the stairway would be nice. Both could be changed if you really wanted to without too much work. I would look at the condition and if the keel/rig combo would suit your needs best. I would worry about the things that basically can't be changed like condition, rig and keel. For me if I found a better condition one I would deal with the location of the traveler or the stairs/ladder.
Old 02-26-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

David.. babystay? Excessive pumping? or just mast shape measure?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
David.. babystay? Excessive pumping? or just mast shape measure?

I want to be able to remove the babystay when I am flying the spinnaker and/or flying a big genoa. Makes it hard to tack/gybe the chute.

The mast section is pretty stout, so I doubt I will be able to bend it much, but we shall see.

Never had any "pumping", but there is some annoying shaking/vibration when the mainsail is down, and there is some wind.

The rigger recommended a 6:1 block and tackle with a snap shackle at the bottom. So, we'll try that.

If I'm making a mistake, let me know quick. Work authorized, but not completed!

I will keep you posted.

Old 02-26-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Don't know about 'mistake', but having had a baby stay its a pretty major PITA gybing. Removable is good. Our last boat was masthead double inline spreaders and did the same vibrating esp in a crosswind. Other than the nuisance factor when on board we never worried about it, and there was never an issue under sail.. YMMV

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Tags
cs36 , merlin