Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014
CS36 Merlin - O Pato

mysterybee is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Merlin Model Comparison

Ok, price settled with owner. A few minor changes to the contract and we'll probably sign over the weekend.

I'm trying hard to stay calm but failing miserably. Considering getting a t-shirt that says "My Mast is Pumping", just because the phrase amuses me. Looking forward to the sea trial to see what kind of tacking angle she can manage.

My history with charter boats has not given me a great deal of expectation wrt to upwind performance. Hopefully, my own boat will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

David,

BEFORE you put said baby stay on your boat, come out for a sail with me, you will NOT want a BS afterwards, excepting if you only use a 110 or smaller, or a really light cloth like my drifter. Otherwise, YOU NEED a person forward to move a genoa larger than 130 or so around the baby stay while tacking, or it can and will get caught, and one will need to go forward to un catch the genoa.

I have thought of a removable BS for my boat, but two boats like mine have lost masts locally. Not sure if it is due to a lighter mast sizing, or some due to some wood under the mast base that starts to rot. OR a combo there of. An adjustable stay would be nice to give the mast a bit more bend. BUT< I can adjust my mast enough with the back stay.

MBee, Yes David is teh person I mentioned as did Faster earlier in the thread that has a Merlin. A good guy, despite moving his boat closer to the shore vs being across from me......not sure if his beer supply gets emptied as much any more.....but that is another story.

Marty
Old 02-28-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Marty:

The boat came with a babystay.. It's just connected to the deck with a turnbuckle.. I remove it when i have a big genoa up or am flying the chute.. The reasons I described above are why I want to be able to disconnect it easily.

Sorry that my beer supply is less convenient to you and your crew. Just stop by, though, and beverages will be provided.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-28-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

David,

I did not realize you had a baby stay. So yes, a removable adjusting one would be nice to have. I've seen that done on another boat like mine. pretty slick actually. I recall a 4-1 being used. Then again, my mast is just a bit smaller than yours!

Marty
Old 02-28-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

The fracturing under the dinette/settee could have been caused by filling the starboard water tank too fast as the vent is a little small but not necessarily.
The same fractures can also be indicative of liner movement. if the fractures are confined to that area you may be all right. but you have to check a little further.

If you see the fractures at the settee, you then look for hairline fractures in the liner around the mast step, If you see fractures at the mast step you must next look for any sign of movement (downward) of the transverse frame member immediately aft of the mast then look along the bottom of the starboard saloon bulkhead for any sign of movement. If you see all four signs, you have liner movement.

I have attached a photo of very typical fractures at the dinette. If there are no fractures here then you have nothing to be concerned about.

Some of these boats have had shifting liners for years without any related failures, it's still a pretty strong boat but it's best if you are aware.

Also look at the trailing upper edge of the keel (lead) for filler or what looks sort of like like corrosion. There were some issues with poor lead alloy from Mars (the keel mfg.)
Attached Thumbnails
CS36 Merlin Model Comparison-cs-merlin-fractures.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014

Thanks, BoatPoker...

Let me take some pictures... I'll post them.
I don't think I have the issues you described, but would be grateful for your input.

David

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-28-2014

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post

There is a crack on the starboard settee, which was apparently from the water tank being filled up to quickly. There also appears to be some settling of the liner, which is common for the boat.

Personally, I haven't done much other than add a Max Prop
Ah HA! I too have a crack in the starboard settee. Prev. Owner said it was from a rather heavy crew member that got tossed in rough weather. Always thought that seemed odd. I suspect your reasoning is much more accurate!
And I too looked around for other hairline fractures; none to be found.

And I too plan to change over to a Max Prop this season. What size did you get; 17x14?

My boat also came w/ a baby stay; detachable and rigged w/ a 4:1 line.

My mainsheet had what I suspect was the original 4:1 setup; I've seen upgraded to a 6:1. Much easier on the back! And I'm considering putting a fine tune on that! Kept the original setup/sheet for backup as well as clipping on to the boom and using it as a hoist.

Last edited by sailordave; 02-28-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2014
CS36 Merlin - O Pato

mysterybee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Does she have a windlass? Be curious to see the installation if so.
Photo of the windlass taken during the boat tour attached.

Contract changes have been approved by owner. We'll be signing tonight.... aided by a few very dry martinis.
Attached Thumbnails
CS36 Merlin Model Comparison-2014-02-22-13.49.20.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybee View Post
Photo of the windlass taken during the boat tour attached.

Contract changes have been approved by owner. We'll be signing tonight.... aided by a few very dry martinis.
Thank you for the picture.. Does the windlass protrude above the anchor hatch when it is closed?

And congratulations!

Old 02-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

And I too plan to change over to a Max Prop this season. What size did you get; 17x14?

My mainsheet had what I suspect was the original 4:1 setup; I've seen upgraded to a 6:1. Much easier on the back! And I'm considering putting a fine tune on that! Kept the original setup/sheet for backup as well as clipping on to the boom and using it as a hoist.
I will validate my Max Prop size and settings for you. You have the original Volvo 2003 engine, right?

My mainsheet is 6:1

Tags
cs36 , merlin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.