Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014
CS36 Merlin - O Pato

mysterybee is on a distinguished road
CS36 Merlin Model Comparison

Hi,

My wife and I are looking for our first cruising boat and have found two fantastic potential candidates in a 1989 CS36 Merlin and a 1990 CS36 Merlin. We've seen the 89 and it looks to be in fantastic condition, lovingly maintained with numerous upgrades.

What I'd like to get is input from more experienced CS owners. What are the traits of the Merlin? Have you encountered any significant issues? How did the design change from '89 to '90? Is there anything in particular you think I should look at closely before making an offer? Are there any CS owner clubs on Lake Ontario? What is the support structure like for this boat?

I'm ready to put down my money but am always looking for more information. If there are any CS pros out there who can help me make my decision easier, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers!

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: CS36 Merlin Model Comparison

I met the designer once, Ray Wahl, I think was his name. He is a very capable designer and a nice guy. I always thought those boats were very well built.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-24-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I met the designer once, Ray Wahl, I think was his name. He is a very capable designer and a nice guy. I always thought those boats were very well built.
Bob... the CS 36Ts (and 33, 27 and Quanta 28) were designed by Ray.. The CS Merlin 36, 40 and 44 were Tony Castro designs.

Ray Wahl (Wall?) IS a great guy, came out of Camper Nicholson and was willing to talk to me about our (originally) Nicholson boat even though he'd moved on by then.

I doubt there'd be much difference between the two merlin models.. they are nice boats. At some point they added a transom platform, that's a plus if you're comparing two of them.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-24-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Faster:
I knew that.

Or, once upon a time I knew that. Thanks for the correction. I hate not knowing.
Tony Castro is also a great designer.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-24-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Try and send a PM to David ie Dodenja on here, He has one one here in Edmonds. Seems like a nice boat, then again, we both have boats designed by that Castro character.

Having sailed it once, I did not find it to be a bad sailing boat. Davids did need some tuning, new sails or a recut of the main IIRC. Seems like it would be a nice boat for cruising.

Marty
Old 02-24-2014
CS36 Merlin - O Pato

mysterybee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I doubt there'd be much difference between the two merlin models.. they are nice boats. At some point they added a transom platform, that's a plus if you're comparing two of them.
I thought the same thing until I looked at them. The traveller in the 89 is in the cockpit, but in the 90 they moved it to the coach roof. Also, the companionway in the 89 is a ladder, but in the 90 they extended it out into a stairway over the motor.

So far we've only seen the 89, but hoping to see the 90 as soon as the snow melts enough to get to it.... (gotta love the Ontario snow belt!)

Cheers!

G
Old 02-24-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Davids boat has the traveller in the cockpit per say. But it has been moved a bit back from where it is supposed to be. As the previous owner could not use the traveler in its intended spot with a dodger installed. This probably was noticed by the manufacture, and re[laced/designed at the factory in 90, along with the different ladder part of the equation.

Marty
Old 02-24-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

"The CS 36 MERLIN, while having similar dimensions to the CS 36 TRADITIONAL, is a completely different design. While it was being produced a purchaser had five pages of options to choose from— a Kevlar or fibreglass hull; a swim platform or regular transom; a 28 hp diesel or a 43 hp turbo; a tall or regular rig and by the end, four keel configurations (shoal, wing, deep and performance bulb). As a result, other than the 20 or so that went into charter, no two Merlins are alike.
Contruction standards were high. The hull was hand-laid fibreglass or Kevlar with balsa core above the water and both hull and deck were vacuum bagged."
CS 36 MERLIN sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 02-24-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

I know on the later models, they changed the bridge deck/companionway ladder as described above. I used to think the huge bridge deck was a waste of space, but it is actually quite useful for temporarily placing stuff when you move it below. It's also a nice perch when it's cold and rainy, and the autopilot is on.

I really like my Merlin after having her for over 3 years. She's fast, comfortable and fun.

Last Sunday we raced her in rain and sleet. Making over 6.5 knots close hauled in about 12 knots of wind. We finished the race tired and cold.

Turned on the heater, and went down below afterwards for hot chocolate, soup, and conversation. Had nice furniture to sit on too! (Missed you, Marty, you coward!)

That's my Merlin.. Fun to sail, and very comfortable
Faster likes this.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-24-2014

rugosa is on a distinguished road

There is a CS owners group - CS Owners Associations Home Page
Being that they were built in Brampton there is a good local following on Lake Ontario, Lake Huron/Georgian Bay and also in Montreal & Quebec. We had a dealer network covering Maritimes, US east coast and Canadian west coast. Some of the early CS36T's were shipped to Holland. I left to manage their Long Island dealer in 1982, shortly before Raymond Wall struck out for Vancouver and prior to Tony Castro designs. Search on line and you may find more available
CS 36 Merlin - Oshawa / Durham Region Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.

Tags
cs36 , merlin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.