SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   new boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/125098-new-boat.html)

stm 02-27-2014 12:24 PM

new boat

I have a new boat on order now. what is the groups opinion on surveying a new hull?

bobperry 02-27-2014 12:26 PM

Re: new boat

I think it would be dependant on who the builder was. If you just ordered a new Swan 65 I think you can decline the survey.

stm 02-27-2014 12:32 PM

Sorry, Beneteau 37..

Brezzin 02-27-2014 12:43 PM

I had a survey done on my 49 which I bought new. I spent lots of money on a marginal survey because most of the dealer installed stuff was not installed yet. I did want the hull tapped out for voids and I figured the warrantee would Hopefully deal with the rest. My suggestion is to do a deal with a local surveyor to tap the hull only and not a full survey

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

boatpoker 02-27-2014 01:02 PM

Wait until a month before the warranty expires. Use the time in between to find the best surveyor available. I've never seen a new boat that did not have something wrong with it and more that did not show up for a year or two.

Brezzin 02-27-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 1465882)
Wait until a month before the warranty expires. Use the time in between to find the best surveyor available. I've never seen a new boat that did not have something wrong with it and more that did not show up for a year or two.

Although this is a valid point, I think there is value in identifying major problems even minor ones before accepting the boat and getting them fixed while they are commissioning the vessel. After all, it's a lot harder getting work done after the dealers been paid.

boatpoker 02-27-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brezzin (Post 1466498)
Although this is a valid point, I think there is value in identifying major problems even minor ones before accepting the boat and getting them fixed while they are commissioning the vessel. After all, it's a lot harder getting work done after the dealers been paid.

I survey 2-3 new boats per year and yes I have found significant issues in rare cases. Most of the issues though are small and would not justify the cost of the survey. Some issues that would be difficult or near impossible to find won't reveal themselves for a few months or a year.

ccher 02-27-2014 04:12 PM

I bought a 37 through AYS fall of 2012 and did not have it surveyed. We found a couple of punch list items during commissioning and a couple more during this past summer. AYS took care of them promptly and pleasantly. Never thought of having the hull sounded, could be a good idea I guess. I think Beneteau does really nice glass work (if not fancy interior joinery). The 2008 boat I did sea trials on didn't have a single spider or stress crack in the gel coat and she was used a lot.

kzed 03-01-2014 01:22 PM

I thought most insurers always required a survey. Then again I've never bought a boat new.

kwaltersmi 03-03-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stm (Post 1465770)
Sorry, Beneteau 37..

I know of a 2013 Benny Oceanis 48 owner who wished he would have had a survey (or just a better personal inspection) done after the dealer was finished with all of their prep/installation work on systems such as the autopilot.